MFC Fans Only Non-Demons AFL Discussion – 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

If we win well it will be a "so what?", we will be expected to win handsomely and will probably look decent against terrible competition like we did against the Hawks and Dogs, thats what I meant by it. It wont mean anything until we can play a reasonable game style against someone good, all fools gold.
Most frustrating thing I reckon is how we played in the Sydney game last year and then we completely cut away that style for the boring bomb it long to a crowded forward line. Can't stand watching us when we do it.

Makes it very hard to make some noise.

If we win well it will be a "so what?", we will be expected to win handsomely and will probably look decent against terrible competition like we did against the Hawks and Dogs, thats what I meant by it. It wont mean anything until we can play a reasonable game style against someone good, all fools gold.

Have cats and the blues back to back at the mcg after this, at least we’ll know for sure by then if we are any good.

Crouch getting a week is such a disgrace lol. So sick of the afl not encouraging players to protect themselves going for the ball.
In the UFC last night Holloway and Gaethje after a 5 round war stood in the center of the octagon and went toe to toe for the last 10 seconds until Gaethje ended up face first unconscious.

Meanwhile in the AFL teams are ratting on other teams for saying bad words and being asked to be careful going towards the ball.

Be very surprised if the AFL crowds don't start declining soon.

In the UFC last night Holloway and Gaethje after a 5 round war stood in the center of the octagon and went toe to toe for the last 10 seconds until Gaethje ended up face first unconscious.

Meanwhile in the AFL teams are ratting on other teams for saying bad words and being asked to be careful going towards the ball.

How good was that though. Pub went mental.

How good was that though. Pub went mental.
Incredible, then Pereria pushing the ref away after the cup shot like "move I'm about to finish this guy" then finish him lol

No game of footy ever comes close to that including Melbourne games for me

Crowds have been growing for years, at the same time the AFL has been cracking down on dangerous collisions and trying to make it safer to play.

Considering close to 50% of AFL supporters are women, and how much the league wants to grow its youth supporter base, I'd suggest the AFL isn't too concerned for those who lust for 'the good ol days'.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Crowds have been growing for years, at the same time the AFL has been cracking down on dangerous collisions and trying to make it safer to play.

Considering close to 50% of AFL supporters are women, and how much the league wants to grow its youth supporter base, I'd suggest the AFL isn't too concerned for those who lust for 'the good ol days'.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So basically you're saying all women hate contact in sport

The population of Victoria and Australia has risen quicker than crowds have grown.

But sure, interest in MMA and the UFC is growing far quicker than footy is.

If genuinely ask how many people here watch more neutral footy than 15 years ago. If it's more than less I'll shut up about it
The main reason to watch neutral games these days is coz you have a bet on or youre following fantasy football SuperCoach/drem team. Ill generally switch it on if I see its a close game in the last quarter also but thats about it.

The main reason to watch neutral games these days is coz you have a bet on or youre following fantasy football SuperCoach/drem team. Ill generally switch it on if I see its a close game in the last quarter also but thats about it.
Legit I use the app to skip till 10 mins to go in the last quarter see if it's close. I can barely sit through our games without being bored to death. Feels more like basketball than ever where the first 3 quarters are irrelevant

Jaded from the media too. I saw so much talk about the petty sledge, about Crouch's bump being dangerous etc it's all just Karen as heck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watch neutral footy if we win, if we lose I have no interest. Same as 15yr ago lol
We're about the same age I think, you can't tell me watching the FFs go at it when we were younger and kick bags isn't more interesting than watching the wizard Watson kick points from 14m out

We're about the same age I think, you can't tell me watching the FFs go at it when we were younger and kick bags isn't more interesting than watching the wizard Watson kick points from 14m out
I think the biggest change that has made footy worse as a spectacle over the years is that these days it's way more about which team is more fit and can cover the ground for longer rather than which team are more skillful and better in the contest.

I agree but I still like the game, although I’m concerned how we are trending away from all contact.

I watched storm on the weekend, those guys hit each other unbelievably hard but they all know how to protect themselves so it feels concussion should be at a higher risk but it doesn’t happen. Then I watch afl players not even know how to approach a ground ball and the other player gets penalised for it.

I think the biggest change that has made footy worse as a spectacle over the years is that these days it's way more about which team is more fit and can cover the ground for longer rather than which team are more skillful and better in the contest.
100% field is the same exact size as 150 years ago when everyone was smoking and drinking. Modern fitness has just taking away all the space. Space is what good players need to shine, congestion brings everyone down together.

Said it before but the game would look better with 16 on the field instead of 18

I agree but I still like the game, although I’m concerned how we are trending away from all contact.

I watched storm on the weekend, those guys hit each other unbelievably hard but they all know how to protect themselves so it feels concussion should be at a higher risk but it doesn’t happen. Then I watch afl players not even know how to approach a ground ball and the other player gets penalised for it.
Yeah it's so s**t to watch when Butters is being told he should be suspended by David King for going for the footy. Same with Peter Wright going for the mark. It's rewarding people for exposing themselves now. You see like one contest a game now where 2 players go shoulder to shoulder going for a ground ball because guys are scared to make contact now.
Hard to invest for me when there's no intensity contest to contest

It's been like this for ten plus years for me. Hardly a new phenomena that the attraction of non-Melbourne games has waned.

What's new is I hardly enjoy watching Melbourne now.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Butters is an animal. Eyes for the ball but the way he plays is wild, only a matter of time before he cops a lengthy stint on the sidelines IMO.
If you could get even 6 blokes to play with his intensity in every team youd win almost every game. ******* love Butters

Butters Stotch Family GIF by South Park

If you could get even 6 blokes to play with his intensity in every team youd win almost every game. ******* love Butters
Yeah me too, he's a maniac.
A bit reckless but you take that for his what he brings.

Me and my close mates have a pretty funny footy tipping comp that has a lot on the line so watch quite a few neutral games.

The games this week were pretty good spectacle. Plenty of close finishes and upsets. I think the comp being very even is a good thing overall for football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back