Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

Meek no1.
Duke great 2nd half.
Hardwick showing the forwards how to play.

Great comeback, just ran out of time
Loved Meeks game. Was strong and Grumpy. Spilled a few marks but hopefully that comes with more games.
Thought chol was pretty good too.. brought the footy to ground a lot and wasn't outmarked often

The new ruck rules favour Meek a lot and disadvantage Reeves, Meek was amazing tonight. If he could just clink a few more around the ground, he’s the one.
I needed that second half from Ward
Tonight to restore my faith in him. He was hard at it. Loved it. He’s an inside mid. Which brings the Nash problem. We have probably seen Nash’s ceiling and if we’re being honest he’s not gonna take this team to a new level. However as a rebuilding side we do need his toughness and defensive attributes. But not for how much longer?
Seamus completely blanketed Bobby Hill tonight, he stays and Hardwick stays forward. Would love to play them again with CJ, Day, Wiz and Blanck. They don’t have much coming through other than Daicos and a few others.
Much better mood after that second half, result for now doesn’t matter in long run and if anything it’s prob best for long run, we still need high end draft picks.
Ramsden looks to be a high ceiling player, have to persist with him.

Put it this way - down by over 6 goals at half time against the reigning premiers, the youngest Hawthorn side for a long while could have turned their toes up and rolled over. Instead they rolled up their sleeves and did us proud.
Shammy in allowed Dimma forward which was something they had trained all preseason. He kicks & and gave us a real threat.
Rama getting game time and kicking his first goal was brilliant
Scrimma getting the tough love and kick up the butt last year has seen him improve his work ethic - 10 contested possessions, 9 marks
Amon getting. 21 in the second half helped
Lloyd Meek bustling in and being a presence is great in the middle
Yes there were some lapses of judgement, missed tackles, dropped marks and missed chances, but the effort and heart was there.

Forwards aren't the issue really.
It's slow ball movement from the wing that forces the ball onto of a contest, rather than to a lead/space.

Hardwick commanded the forwardline. He did what we have been crying out for breust/gunston to do. Not kick goals (that's a bonus), but to actually direct the forwards where to run
Yes! Forwards that present! You don't have to mark just lead so our mids don't kick it straight to the opposition.

I’m not sure why there is so much criticism of C Mac. He is only a third year player.

We saw what happened in the second half when our leaders stood up. I believe CMac, Weddle and Ramsden have the most upside of all the young players on our list. We need to get them to 50 games plus.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know that Meek was up against a 2nd gamer against Geelong as their PRIMARY ruck last week. What is your point.

Just saying, stop overstating his output. It creates backslapping comfort

WERE YOU AT THE GAME?

Meek was our best player, easily. Champion Data had him first for us, with 130 ranking points.
Amon second with 112.
Newcombe third with 110.

I was sitting near the interchange and he was coming off exhausted. Work rate was off the charts.

Connor MacDonald had a poor game today, but I'm a bit miffed at people calling for him to be dropped.

His three prior games this season were good, coming off a strong season last year.

He surely deserves to be backed and developed, especially considering he has shown more than most of the emerging group of Hawks.

Really happy with how Frenchy is coming along.. soft start against the bombers but has been really good since imo, what he's showing is my shining light from our season to date.

I've been on the fence re Hardwick, but he demonstrated today that we need him fwd more than we need him back. Not every week will be like this, but a great game.

Reeves was our best ruckman last year but that was a great game from Meek. Among our top 5 tonight. Should get an extended run now and I prefer what Meek brings to the table when in form.

Was unfortunate for Butler that we had injuries as he simply had to come up, but he really needs to back up game after game what he was doing at box Hill for like half a season before coming up.

Good signs from Ramma. Even though we lost, it was a good stepping stone for us.
I think he's coming along nicely too, but I'm sure there's a few here that will disagree

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very proud of that effort and intensity in the second half. When Collingwood were up by 6 goals we could've thrown in the towel. The way we fought it out shows real character. We just need to be more consistent from the opening bounce.

Lloyd Meek was outstanding. He looked more determined than ever before, playing with more physicality and purpose. He's set the standard now he has to maintain that.

Blake Hardwick proved tonight that he's a genuine swingman. He reads the play well, attacks the ball ferociously, has strong hands, and most importantly he's an accurate kick for goal. Having Seamus in the team now allows us to play Dimma forward whenever required.

I was also very impressed with Josh Ward tonight. He's had a very slow start to the season, but tonight he threw himself into contests, ran hard, and was hitting up targets. More of that please Joshy.

Plenty of positives can be taken away from this game, and hopefully it can give the players some genuine belief that we can match it with the better teams.

I knew when that mark was taken that someone would bring it up on here.

It was a high, virtually straight up in the air kick. The hardest ball to mark & more luck than skill to whoever takes that mark.

Personally, I wouldn’t be putting s**t on any player for not taking that mark, but you go 👎🏻
Agree...Worps was right there and i think he knew he should have made the contest but he didnt. It was not Meeks fault...tried his guts out all day!

Agreed. I have certainly knocked him but his 2nd half was bloody good. I still dont see the value of Finn in the team, Daicos had 26. If he had skill i could understand but...
I think Finn was moved off Daicos in the 3rd quarter. Regardless, I agree that Finn is disappointing with his disposals. However, the question is what do you do when you send him to Box Hill and he responds with a BOG performance?

Yeh he was poor with ball in hand today but until we find someone who can actually step into his defensive role he won't be getting dropped.

Especially as our defensive intent is probably our biggest area of concern.
There is also his size. All our young mids are kids - they need someone to do the battering work

Biggest difference Dimma brought to the forward line was leadership.

You see it all the time in the great teams. They have 5-6 guys who are constantly talking and directing players on the field.

It's hard to lead when you're out of form as you're too busy trying to get a kick. Lewis and Breust had been lacking on that front the past few weeks.

Enter Dimma and our dynamic changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back