Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Blues v Tigers Thurs March 14th 7:30pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dang Richmond board has its own round by round umpiring thread. That’ll be getting a workout this week.

I thought you were full of shit, but you’re right, it’s there

Paramount Network Lol GIF by Yellowstone

well our wretched run defies all statistical sense

On the down low, I’ve heard AFL house had to put a stop to the Richmond dynasty to give the other vic clubs a fair go and have instructed the umpires to rig games against the tigers. Which explains a lot. Just what I heard though.

Sadly agree, just dreary and monotone. Champion player and bloke, just not suited for the role I don't think

Not many are.
They all been hit in the head too many times and they talk like it.

Leigh Matthews was always one of the best. He would comment on something a few minutes earlier and then it would invariably pan out almost like he predicted.

Dude Baker punched the ball out of his hands 15+ meters and then shoved him in the chest and called the umpire a flog, what are you talking about
he didn't punch the ball out of his hands. He was taking his rightful position on the mark and the ball hit his body when he was stretching his arms up high. Calling the umpire a flog was justified for paying the 50m. Horrendous call that won Carlton the game.

The Carlton media lovefest from Fox Footy in particular is sickening

Considering they got lucky from a 60m soft 50m penalty and a goal from a rugby pass from Cripps, all in the last. Blues got lucky in several key moments.

Maybe. But add Weitering, Walsh, Martin, Docherty and 2-3 other role players, I don’t think it gets that close to begin with.
Mate even with those players out and our injuries that was a slog for you should be belting us if your top 4 material.

Not from what I was seeing in the first qrt.

People overate the influence of umpires.
Most times people are just searching for something to suit their narrative.

Umpiring goes either way, some get paid, some don't.

Swings and round abouts.
I guess it’s the frees given that are just blatantly not there and we know they are reviewed but unfortunately don’t change the result. I replayed a couple and thought there needs to be some serious scrutiny…bad for the game

a shame the umpires ruined the game. As a neutral the umpires really got the win for Carlton. That De Koning 50m, yeah, no. That's not a 50m. Not to mention, multiple other decisions.
Here we go again - every time Carlton wins a game it's the umpiring. Shout out to the Tigers who were terrific despite the mid-game injuries. Hoping for the best for Gibcus who is going to be a very good player.

Felt like umpires went into the game believing the Carlton hype giving Tigers a couple of cheapies to keep it close, then by 3qtr time realised Carlton arent the side many thought they were after last week, especially with Tigers 3 down off a 5 day break and had to intervene.

This result says more about Brisbane than either of the sides playing tonight.

In the context of a coach in his second game and what he's trying to build long term, we're not likely to play finals and I don't think the wins are the be all and end all in year 1.

Lots to take out of tonights game for us, despite the loss 4 points isnt the be all and end all when youre not really in contention.

The better side usually wins, but the circumstances tonight tipped it in your favour, not sure you'd have ended up the better side if we weren't 2 KPDs and a midfielder down the entire second half. Carlton are top 4 this year though so 4 points any way they come is important for you, probably moreso than us in a rebuilding year.
Which younger players showed a lot?

Vlastuin was awesome. So was Nankervis. Short, Martin and Lynch had their good moments and not-so-good moments. These are all veterans responsible for most of Richmond's competitiveness.

Balta as a young-ish player was immense, but Bolton was dire.

Taranto and Hopper were alright.

For young players? Gibcus and Young had disastrous injuries. Campbell was bad. Mansell wasn't much chop. Ross had a nothing game and MRJ was invisible. Perhaps Dow showed a bit?

If I'm looking to the future I'm not sure there was too much to get excited by. Another few kids need to come in and then you need to see what they've got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a shame the umpires ruined the game. As a neutral the umpires really got the win for Carlton. That De Koning 50m, yeah, no. That's not a 50m. Not to mention, multiple other decisions.
Think it was about 8 to 1 in the last quarter but it really doesn't matter in the long run. Us getting this close to a Carlton side with the injuries we had on the night will do more damage in the long run this year as it will delude us into thinking we are an ok footy side and keep playing some of the old blokes who wont be there in 2 years.

Mate even with those players out and our injuries that was a slog for you should be belting us if your top 4 material.

We don’t need to belt anyone in round 2. We have proven our best is good enough to compete.

2-0 with a 15 day break and Weitering, Walsh + 4-6 other best 22 players to come back, you would take that in a heartbeat.

Quite fascinating Blues are finding a way to win with essentially no obvious game plan. Seem to just make it up as they go. Don't think it is sustainable imo, probably why they're so inconsistent.

I’d seriously trade Bolton if I were tigers. Cream on top player that is great when you’re a top 8 team. Not so good in a team about to rebuild.

Back