News New Jumpers for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He got back to me and would love to assist.
Any questions for Brian Cunningham?

What were the conditions of entry regarding kit and colours for pafc entering the comp? Was there ever an edict of not being able to wear black white prison bars or is that all Eddie spin.
Would he want to see a variant of the prison bars, silver, teal etc.

What were the conditions of entry regarding kit and colours for pafc entering the comp? Was there ever an edict of not being able to wear black white prison bars or is that all Eddie spin.
Would he want to see a variant of the prison bars, silver, teal etc.
Eddie wasn't in the Collingwood Administration at the time but Collingwood did indeed force Port to change their colour scheme after their unsuccessful 1990 bid. He and other Collingwood figures have been on record several times saying that Port should incorporate Silver and/or Teal into the Bars guernsey, which has been rejected by Port fans and administrators every time. In the mid-90s there was an agreement signed between the two clubs on Port's colour scheme and was referenced by Collingwood in a press release in March this year;
“When Port Adelaide entered the AFL in 1997, a binding agreement was signed between the Club and Collingwood, with Port giving up the black and white colours and the Magpie emblem as part of their entrance into the national competition."
Press release

How seriously did the club consider using a prison bar jumper (regardless of colours) before settling on the lightning ones? If so, what alternative colours/variations were there?

Were the Pirates nickname and theme seriously considered at all? What jumper/s would have accompanied it if so?

Can he please come back and run our club again?;)

Thanks to Brian for his great service to the club as player & administrator. He always replied to my letters / suggestions with considered responses when he was CE

Pirates ™️ filed back in '95

Eddie wasn't in the Collingwood Administration at the time but Collingwood did indeed force Port to change their colour scheme after their unsuccessful 1990 bid. He and other Collingwood figures have been on record several times saying that Port should incorporate Silver and/or Teal into the Bars guernsey, which has been rejected by Port fans and administrators every time. In the mid-90s there was an agreement signed between the two clubs on Port's colour scheme and was referenced by Collingwood in a press release in March this year;

Press release
Thanks for sharing - How does the following quote work though? Port didn't give up the black and white, it's been a mainstay of all of their guernseys in the AFL. I'd love to actually see the signed agreement wording.

“When Port Adelaide entered the AFL in 1997, a binding agreement was signed between the Club and Collingwood, with Port giving up the black and white colours and the Magpie emblem as part of their entrance into the national competition."

He got back to me and would love to assist.
Any questions for Brian Cunningham?
Yes, please. Ask about some of the rumours of 1994-95 that were going around about the nickname like The Raiders and Pirates.

Did they ever consider returning back to their late 19th century/early 20th century identity The Magentas with their magenta, blue and gold uniform?

Ask him about the "untold story" about Port's first AFL home guernsey he mentioned in another podcast. My theory is it's related to the bolt placement that is suppose to form the outline of SA.

Also, this has some of the early rumours I had found and theories I'd like to know if is true, like why didn't they pick their first AFL away guernsey as their home uniform:
Excellent, he was on another podcast with a Port fan from Bigfooty:

He said there was a "untold story" about the original AFL home guernsey I believe, but they never asked him a follow up question about that story. Also, Cunningham misremembers Stuart Dew ruining their first season finals chances, when he didn't play in the game he brings up, lol. He confused it with an early season 1998 match.

There's also the "Raiders" nickname that was constantly being floated around on the Usenet Aussie Rules newsgroup in 1994-95.
View attachment 1769618

Cunningham is probably the best person to ask about The Power branding, "Power" was used a lot in the banners in The SANFL when he was playing.
View attachment 1769646

I'd be curious on a number of things, why did they not choose their first AFL away guernsey used from 1997-2002 with the 3 side bolts as their home guernsey, when it was in my opinion a much better design and closer to the prison bar dominant black?
View attachment 1769633View attachment 1769635

Why didn't they go with the prison bars in The AFL only with a slight change of different colours? (My navy Prison bar mock, lol)
View attachment 1769630

Why they changed the back of the original 3 AFL guernseys from 1995 that had their own unique backs to 1 unified back design for all?
View attachment 1769627View attachment 1769628View attachment 1769629
View attachment 1769636View attachment 1769637View attachment 1769638

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for BC.

Why did the Pear go from an easily identifiable guernsey design and look to a generic double V?
That happened 5 years after he left Port, he had nothing to do with that. He had some thoughts about that on the podcast I linked. I think Mark Williams, the playing group and the board really like that "back in black" design over the Ian Kidd home design from the news reports at the time. I believe there was a vote among the players, too, if they wanted to change the guernsey.

I feel the real issue was, when they entered the AFL, they chose one of the inferior guernsey designs for their home guernsey over the best design they had (the 1997-2002 away strip). Some fans think had they chosen that away guernsey as their home guernsey, they never would have changed it.

Question for BC.

Why did the Pear go from an easily identifiable guernsey design and look to a generic double V?

It was peak ‘Southern Power’ marketing and branding from the ceo John James at the time. The club was steering away from its sanfl roots as it thought that was the way to have more mass appeal. Cue white and teal lightning bolts and mechanical fists and kids designing garish guernseys every year. The V design was also one of the kid competitions but actually looked like a traditional football guernsey and everyone gravitated towards it.

Haha that's made my day. Cheers for the tip :D:D. I have skipped it for more than 50 years, but I thought I should have a quick look as I was actually born there and haven't been there since I was 2.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye out. Cheers
Yeah only Freo and Eagles by the way

It was peak ‘Southern Power’ marketing and branding from the ceo John James at the time. The club was steering away from its sanfl roots as it thought that was the way to have more mass appeal. Cue white and teal lightning bolts and mechanical fists and kids designing garish guernseys every year. The V design was also one of the kid competitions but actually looked like a traditional football guernsey and everyone gravitated towards it.
I don’t mind the V guernsey by look but it makes no sense for us

July 1995 seems to be pretty late to trademark it, when only 1 month later The Power branding was revealed. I wonder if there's a story behind that.
Port Adelaide was trying to enter the AFL before Adelaide being branded Port Adelaide Crows but SANFL screwed us and then manufactured the Adelaide Crows and stole it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back