List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am open to giving away our first pick.

Sure i'll be shot down but I think considering where we are at, and the multiple holes in the list, we need to maximise it's value.

If we can get the right deal I have no problem in trading it.

Giving away and trading it for value are not the same thing.

Doubtful many would be too heart broken if we traded if for significant value.

I am sure people would be furious if we gave it away.

I get the distinct feeling we are playing things close to our chest waiting for the outcome of the draft assistance application.

I think trading down is pretty necessary tbh.

I am open to giving away our first pick.

Sure i'll be shot down but I think considering where we are at, and the multiple holes in the list, we need to maximise it's value.

If we can get the right deal I have no problem in trading it.
Sure, for the right price, though.

Like an under 25, proven player who is at least knocking on the door for AA.

I'm not sure if there would be any takers, but worth asking around.

I think we should stir the pot and say we are prepared to trade pick 1 for the likes of Taranto, Hopper, King*2, and a few more names, just to shake the tree and see what's left over.

Corret me if i'm wrong, are you against trading pick one away?

Giving away and trading it for value are not the same thing.

Doubtful many would be too heart broken if we traded if for significant value.

I am sure people would be furious if we gave it away.

I get the distinct feeling we are playing things close to our chest waiting for the outcome of the draft assistance application.

I think trading down is pretty necessary tbh.

Poor choice of words on my behalf - you are correct I didn't mean give it away as if it's not important I meant to increase it's value.

Well when it came to JHF I said similar and was absolutely smashed for merely suggesting it - I am rapt we have JHF, but it's not a huge amount of difference in why I suggested it then and still am this year.

Trading down is fine if we come out ahead, that is my exact point - I guess I am open to offers, if they aren't good enough then we use pick one and that is fine.

Well when it came to JHF I said similar and was absolutely smashed for merely suggesting it - I am rapt we have JHF, but it's not a huge amount of difference in why I suggested it then and still am this year.

JHF was being touted as an incredible talent. What’s more I still think that position will be vindicated in the long term.

This year the draft class appears (from what I’ve read) to be much more even.

On top of that even with pick 1 we won’t get the top talent from the draft this year.

JHF was being touted as an incredible talent. What’s more I still think that position will be vindicated in the long term.

This year the draft class appears (from what I’ve read) to be much more even.

On top of that even with pick 1 we won’t get the top talent from the draft this year.

I have never said JHF is not an incredible talent.

My point at the time is that we could have used that for leverage to change the list quicker (like a gun already and another very high pick) - we chose to stick with JHF and i'm fine with that.

I don't pretend to follow drafting at all so if we feel that number 1 does not represent the same value as per JHF then I am all for splitting it for players and picks to speed up our rebuild.

GWS is the obvious trade partner. They might have 3, 12, 19, 21, 39 after their Richmond deals. And thats before any Bruhn deal.

They might prefer quality over quantity.
The top 4 in this draft is also fairly equal.
We might need some later picks to facilitate trades.

It seems like a no-brainer unless GWS are not interested or we really rate Wardlaw at pick 1.

Edit - to be clear, Im not saying we get all of those picks for pick 1, just that there's a lot there to work with

GWS is the obvious trade partner. They might have 3, 12, 19, 21, 39 after their Richmond deals. And thats before any Bruhn deal.

They might prefer quality over quantity.
The top 4 in this draft is also fairly equal.
We might need some later picks to facilitate trades.

It seems like a no-brainer unless GWS are not interested or we really rate Wardlaw at pick 1.

Edit - to be clear, Im not saying we get all of those picks for pick 1, just that there's a lot there to work with
We wont be allowed to trade pick 19 back in. So that's off the table.
3,12 and 21 would be enough for me.
Cadman + Clark + Logue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a report I think yesterday or the day before he said he'd take the call. Whilst focused on Freo now he'd listen to what we or any club had to say about a promotion. Something to that effect.
Reading the extract of that conversation made it sound a lot like the reasoning Clarko used to talk with Essendon. It's flattering they're interested and he'd hear them out, out of respect. I found it hard to read much into it, but on the other hand they were still alive in the finals at the time and it wasn't an outright no.

🤷‍♂️

Anyone have access to that latest Ralph article posted a page or two ago?

AFL 2022: Follow all the latest player movement news​

Fremantle is bracing for trade requests from four players. Now another two — including a top ten draft pick — could also be out the door.

Jon Ralph and Marc McGowan

September 11, 2022

Top ten draft selection Liam Henry could join Fremantle’s off-season player and official exodus as the Dockers prepare for up to six player departures in coming weeks.
Dockers coach Justin Longmuir is bracing for trade requests from talls Rory Lobb and Lloyd Meek, wingman Blake Acres and swingman Griffin Logue by mid-week.

It comes as the Dockers prepare for Luke Jackson to inform Melbourne as early as this week about an expected trade to Fremantle.

The Dockers believe Jackson, set to be offered a deal of up to seven years, can play in a hybrid ruck-midfield role given his extraordinary athletic gifts.

Dockers flanker Darcy Tucker is also exploring his options despite being contracted and is set to talk to clubs still participating in finals to assess a move back to Victoria.

The Herald Sun understands Henry is also considering his options after playing only seven games this year — down from 17 in his second season — as he is shuffled back in the pecking order.

The No.9 pick in the 2019 national draft is stuck behind Michael Walters and Michael Frederick in the small forward queue with no sign of change next year.

Rivals could assess his interest despite a contract tying him to the club for 2023.

Lobb is contracted to 2023 but told the club in the weeks after his aborted trade to GWS last year he would seek a move again this off-season so the Dockers have known his intentions for a full 12 months.

His partner has already moved into their newly purchased house in inner-city Melbourne as he prepares to join the Western Bulldogs on a four-year deal.
Swingman Griffin Logue, offered an improved $500,000 per season deal, also wants to move, with North Melbourne one of many suitors including Sydney.
The Dockers could play hard-ball Lobb and demand he fulfils the last year of a $750,000 contract.

But Logue and Lobb share the same management group and given Logue could move to the Roos with pick one in the pre-season draft — denying the Dockers a draft pick — it would be a high-stakes game to attempt to hold Lobb.

Blake Acres, finally offered a two-year deal after months of haggling, is set to join Carlton on a three-year deal worth $1 million.

The Dockers believe Nathan O’Driscoll is ready to step up as a wingman but Carlton would have to satisfy the Dockers on a trade.

Gold Coast’s uncontracted key forward Josh Corbett has attracted interest from Fremantle.

The Dockers are one of multiple clubs including West Coast to show early interest in Gold Coast wingman Jeremy Sharp, a former East Fremantle player, but he is contracted to 2023 and the Suns would have to agree to a trade.Melbourne clubs are also inquiring about Sharp, the No.27 draft pick in 2019, who has played in a more defensive wing role at the Suns but is highly rated by list bosses for his all-round midfield game.

Dockers football boss Peter Bell made clear the club would release assistant coach Josh Carr to Port Adelaide given he has family considerations with four young children and a South Australian wife.

And Bell on Saturday didn’t rule himself out from interest in the vacant North Melbourne chief executive role.

Dockers put wantaway trio on notice​

Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir has put the club’s wantaway players on notice, saying he expects an answer “soon” now the Dockers’ season is over.

Fremantle’s premiership hopes ended in a flattering 20-point loss to Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday night, a week after keeping its season alive with a stunning comeback win over the Bulldogs.

Rory Lobb (Western Bulldogs) and out-of-contract pair Blake Acres (Carlton) and Griffin Logue (North Melbourne) are all exploring their options and have been linked with Victorian clubs.

Lobb, who is contracted until the end of next season, unsuccessfully tried to return to his old club the Giants last year, only for the Dockers to hold firm.

But their high-priced pursuit of Melbourne ruckman Luke Jackson is likely to improve Lobb’s chances of switching clubs if and when he makes a trade request.

A decision on Jackson’s future is also set to heat up in the coming days, given the Demons’ flag defence ended at the Brisbane Lions’ hands on Friday night.

“I suppose the timeframe is going to come pretty soon,” Longmuir said when asked when Fremantle will want to know about Lobb, Acres and Logue.

“We’ve got the players for, at the most, another week, then they’re off on holidays, so I’d imagine we’ll get some answers soon.

“We’ll work through that. Trade period starts after the granny and we want to make sure we’re ready for that, so those conversations will happen in the next week or so.”

Longmuir was less willing to engage about the Dockers’ interest in Jackson, saying it was not “the right time to be talking about it”.

“I’m sure there’ll be opportunities once the dust settles to talk about list management decisions,” he said. “I’m getting my head around the loss tonight first.”

Longmuir said Fremantle would miss retiring club great David Mundy’s experience but that his legacy would live on long beyond his playing career.

He stood by the decision not to select key forward Matt Taberner (calf) and was confident dual Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe could return to his “best” next year.

“That‘s obviously driven by his body, but I think we’ve seen some good signs that he’s got a lot of things right with his back and knees and whatnot,” Longmuir said.

“So (we will) get on top of the soft-tissue stuff and give him a really good pre-season, which he should have.

“He could have possibly played next week, or at least the week after, so he’s close to being in good health and that’ll set him up really well for the off-season.”

I reckon we need to be moving picks into next year's draft. We may or may not get additional rookie spots for 2023, but if we do it won't be forever. Come end of 2023, we could feasibly have moved Ziebell, Polec, Goldy, Anderson, JWalker, Mahony, Bonar, Greenwood and Hall from the list. And that is just the likely experienced departees not factoring in the unknown younger ones (Comben, Archer, Bergman, Spicer, Edwards, Dawson, Goater, Perez, Young, Scott) and anyone we recruit between now and then. It also doesn't factor in the blokes who I assume will sign long-term (JHF, LDU, McKay). So as you can see, plenty out of contract and many will need to be replaced.

We simply don't have the list space to take a stack of draftees this year, it will need to wait 12 months. By then Clarko will have a firmer view on who is in his plans or not, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back