Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

mocaholic said:
Cue MGreg.

By all accounts from posters on this thread this was a real dog act.

Others not mentioned:
Jimmy Edmonds on Russell Morris was a massive hit - and he was never the same after that;

That was an utterly appalling act, made worse by the moronic Brisbane scoreboard people putting up messages celebrating it.

Also, some Esserndern spaz who threw a full can at Phil Krakouer when he kicked seven to flog them in the late 80s, before Esserndern magically became so Aboriginal friendly.

volcboy said:
Two interesting asides from two incidents mentioned.

I was one of just over 8000 people at Princes Park when Matthews hit Bruns. Worst thing I've ever seen on a football field. But, what nobody has mentioned is that, as Matthews ran down towards Hawthorn's forward line after hitting Bruns, Steve Hocking (playing back pocket) saw the incident and sprinted towards him. They met at CHF and Steve Hocking broke Matthews' nose with a short right hook. As a Geelong supporter, and as retaliation for all the other cowardly acts Matthews committed over the years, pure justice. Steve Hocking wasn't reported, either :)

As a humorous aside, Jacko got 8 weeks that day - he later said that he went into the game with a dodgy knee and felt it 'go' in the second quarter. Knowing that he would need an operation (meaning 8-10 weeks on the sidelines), he turned around and hit Kelvin Moore who he said he'd never liked. That sparked the whole thing off.

Yeates on Brereton, 1989 GF. The reason Brereton has never said a bad word about Yeates' hit is that Brereton knocked him out in the only home & away game they contested that year. That was the Princes Park game where Hawthorn came back from 54 points down to win. Brereton came out after half time to make a statement, and he made it by knocking Yeates out. People speculate that Blighty told Yeates to hit Brereton in the '89 GF - if he did, he wouldn't have had to say much.

Nobody has mentioned Chris Johnson on three Irish players in the international rules game last year. A muscle-bound professional takes out three ameteur players. Gutsy. Real gutsy. Not surprised given who his coach is at Brisbane.........

Worse was Brad Scott decking your man from Cork in Dublin in 2002. I was at Croke Park for that and it was a very, very cowardly act.

Clark Kent said:
Longy's dog act in a GF (did he get eight weeks for that?).
probably the worst hit i've seen live, Simmonds couldve easily ended up in a wheelchair, it had the potential to do a ****load of damage.

I reckon the worst act in football did not occur on the field, i think Aaron Hennemans mum committed the 'worst act' by giving birth to a dud

Adrian Shelton said:
S.L.F-re the Morris hit, i can still remember that score board too, the operator put up 'COP THAT!' Think he got dragged over the coals for it too!!

So he should have. Fair dos for a decent, legal hip n shoulder, but Edmonds act was just a cowardly elbow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back