Toast Types of people at the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

The angry, frustrated people with nothing going on in their lives, who get no joy out of watching AFL footy and following their team. You know the type.. The ones who are relentlessly negative, always finding fault, never satisfied, constantly whinging and moaning about every umpiring decision, always bagging their own team's players and coach, always shitting on opposition stars and never appreciating good play from opponents.

For these overgrown sooky babies, AFL footy isn't a game or a spectacle to be enjoyed, but a bad habit.... Every game is a 'life or death' contest where their entire well-being rests on the result. You can find these people venting their spleen in many of the match threads here on Big Footy, stinking up the joint and trying to bring everyone else down to their level.

Avoid.

The angry, frustrated people with nothing going on in their lives, who get no joy out of watching AFL footy and following their team. You know the type.. The ones who are relentlessly negative, always finding fault, never satisfied, constantly whinging and moaning about every umpiring decision, always bagging their own team's players and coach, always shitting on opposition stars and never appreciating good play from opponents.

For these overgrown sooky babies, AFL footy isn't a game or a spectacle to be enjoyed, but a bad habit.... Every game is a 'life or death' contest where their entire well-being rests on the result. You can find these people venting their spleen in many of the match threads here on Big Footy, stinking up the joint and trying to bring everyone else down to their level.

Avoid.
They are the worst.

I'd had enough one day at Subi and told this grumpy old Freo fan to shut up and stop his whinging. Others around me had obviously also had enough and joined in.

He stopped, lol.

Probably not around anymore…
But the guy with a radio pressed up on his ear listening to the commentary. Then says Roach just kicked a goal! Duh… we can see that.
No they definitely still exist
Got one sits near me ( think he has a plug in earphone though )

They’re an integral part of the game. That was driven home to us during covid.

That's a different discussion.

The discussion were having is whether the person in the ground impacts the result and can claim any credit for it.

I mean shit, they don't even give players a medal if they don't play on GF Day FFS! And you guys reckon some punter in the stand waving his scarf makes a difference??

The discussion were having is whether the person in the ground impacts the result and can claim any credit for it.

I mean s**t, they don't even give players a medal if they don't play on GF Day FFS! And you guys reckon some punter in the stand waving his scarf makes a difference??
I tend to agree.
It hit home for me when the Bulldogs won the Flag. I had people congratulating me, saying well done, one person even posted on Facebook that they were proud of me.
I was pissing myself laughing thinking I’ve actually done nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree.
It hit home for me when the Bulldogs won the Flag. I had people congratulating me, saying well done, one person even posted on Facebook that they were proud of me.
I was pissing myself laughing thinking I’ve actually done nothing.
Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Remember the days at the footy when it was a blood bath of abuse aimed at the players and the umpires? The language lol. These days any slight thing even voice tone and people will cry and you could get ejected. Remember Richo said it on air that the dickhead security guards were eye balling youngsters and throwing them out for nothing. Who are the real crims really? Or bullies should I say. It's not like the youngsters were doing anything wrong. To quote Bradley Cooper from The movie burnt something along the lines of '' I miss it all the heat the arguing the screaming the rucking violence I loved every minute of it '' now not to that degree but I do like when campaigners used to go off lol.

Now don't get me wrong I hate thugs and there have been a number who have started shit for nothing during and after the game. The hell with them give them jail time. But yeah. I do like the days when campaigners would be ripping opposition teams and the umps for not much lol.

Tony Soprano at the footy x 10

Remember the days at the footy when it was a blood bath of abuse aimed at the players and the umpires? The language lol. These days any slight thing even voice tone and people will cry and you could get ejected. Remember Richo said it on air that the dickhead security guards were eye balling youngsters and throwing them out for nothing. Who are the real crims really? Or bullies should I say. It's not like the youngsters were doing anything wrong. To quote Bradley Cooper from The movie burnt something along the lines of '' I miss it all the heat the arguing the screaming the rucking violence I loved every minute of it '' now not to that degree but I do like when campaigners used to go off lol.

Now don't get me wrong I hate thugs and there have been a number who have started s**t for nothing during and after the game. The hell with them give them jail time. But yeah. I do like the days when campaigners would be ripping opposition teams and the umps for not much lol.

Tony Soprano at the footy x 10
This is why things had to change

The neutral who rocks up to an important game to watch with his Port supporting future Father Inlaw and breaks the ice with COLLLLLLLINGWOOOOD.

Then goes quiet when he's asked where he's sleeping tonight..
Not worthy of joining the family if the reply isn't "with your daughter"

I mean s**t, they don't even give players a medal if they don't play on GF Day FFS! And you guys reckon some punter in the stand waving his scarf makes a difference??
I saw the Eagles come to Victoria Park in 1990. In the warm up Karl Langdon fumbled a mark and the outer bayed at him like hounds at their prey, he blushed to his socks and played a timid crushed game. 100% the crowd got in his head and many other young Eagles that day. Not Sumich though, even though the bloke next to me stated the FF's missus had two sets of genitals "and you're one of them".

More often a player shrugs it off or even arks up and plays a blinder (Winmar and Ablett did this at Vic Park).

However even a single supporter can affect a players mentality.

For myself I once sledged a fullback for the Doggies called Campbell. He slicked his hair back like Gordon Gecko (or Patrick Bateman for the youngies) and was a phony w***er. "What did the horse say when you pulled your head back out?" I enquired loudly, and there were some chuckles. Sav booted 4 on him inside 20 minutes and he was dragged at quarter time. I won a 20 cent bet with my BiL on it.

I didn't influence the game as such but I did give voice to the crowds' lack of respect for this tubby nong, maybe the Saveloy was emboldened?

Jokes aside crowds and individuals definitely affect outcomes, player performances and umpiring. Not consistently or predictably, but it happens. You only have to attend games to know this.

I saw the Eagles come to Victoria Park in 1990. In the warm up Karl Langdon fumbled a mark and the outer bayed at him like hounds at their prey, he blushed to his socks and played a timid crushed game. 100% the crowd got in his head and many other young Eagles that day. Not Sumich though, even though the bloke next to me stated the FF's missus had two sets of genitals "and you're one of them".

More often a player shrugs it off or even arks up and plays a blinder (Winmar and Ablett did this at Vic Park).

However even a single supporter can affect a players mentality.

For myself I once sledged a fullback for the Doggies called Campbell. He slicked his hair back like Gordon Gecko (or Patrick Bateman for the youngies) and was a phony w***er. "What did the horse say when you pulled your head back out?" I enquired loudly, and there were some chuckles. Sav booted 4 on him inside 20 minutes and he was dragged at quarter time. I won a 20 cent bet with my BiL on it.

I didn't influence the game as such but I did give voice to the crowds' lack of respect for this tubby nong, maybe the Saveloy was emboldened?

Jokes aside crowds and individuals definitely affect outcomes, player performances and umpiring. Not consistently or predictably, but it happens. You only have to attend games to know this.
I'm not sure if this qualifies as narcissism or delusion. Or both.

The picnicers - rock up to the game with a thermos of tea, another with hotdogs in it, 12 bread rolls, two lap blankets, homemade muffins, sandwiches, a selection of fruit and a change of jumpers. For two people.

I feel called out. Brought 12 rolls and every ingredient for home made Banh Mi (Vietnamese pork rolls) with all the trimmings to the last game I went to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back