Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyday of the week i would be going for Reid well ahead of Jagga. Jagga only just makes it into my top 10:

1. Lombard
2. Ashcroft
3. Smillie
4. FOS
5. Lalor
6. Draper
7. Reid
8. Trainor
9. Hotton
10. Urquart
11+ Allan, Travaglia, Sims..... Jagga S
Urquart is a bigger butcher of the ball than Louie is of our players knees, hammy's and backs

Yeah never said they were both as good....just remember all the talk before the draft "OMG have to get Hobbs big bodied inside mid just what we need and he supports the Tiges!" :$
That's the thing with Hobbs: he ain't big-bodied. He's a small.

The way everyone went on before the draft you'd think he was the next Ollie Wines...turned out he wasn't he even the next Matty Arnot...:$
Or was he

Think About It GIF by Identity

Thoughts on Out of Contract Players

Grimes - unfortunate way to end his career, but the back injury I think signals the end for Grimes

Prestia - 32 in October and body is constantly failing him with soft tissue issues. Hard call but should be retired off as well.

Martin - just turned 33 and body is showing signs of not being able to do the things that made him so special. Not sure the hunger is there either, especially with the team struggling.

Baker - IMO he leaves as the opportunity to return home and set himself up for life with a big offer from WCE will be too hard to knock back. Would take us paying overs to keep him and I don't believe that he is worth that sort of deal.

Maurice - was thinking a few weeks back that he may head north with Daniel, but with his sister about to arrive at the club as part of the AFLW side, I think he remains in Melbourne. Was starting to show some good signs before injury struck.

Ralphsmith - likely to be signed to a 2 year deal having proven his worth on the wing since forcing his way into the line up.

Naismith - a worthwhile gamble given the cost, but sadly another knee injury means that he's time is up.

Coulthard - needs to have more games like Sundays effort against Carlton in the VFL if he wants to be here in 2025.

Dow - think he'll get a 2 year deal as cover for the midfield. Hasn't come on as expected this year in part because of injuries to others in the midfield. Still believe he can be a role player in a developing midfield unit.

McIntosh - like many I thought this would be KMacs last year at the club, but I think he is one we could keep for another 12-24 months as depth while we bring better quality options through. The thing with Kamdyn is that he is very much a team first player who you know will do what is asked of him each week.

Graham - very much a 50-50 decision around him staying or going. Seems to be highly rated inside the club, not so highly regarded by the fans. If we do lose a swag of experienced players to retirement I can see the club looking to keep him around in a similar manner to McIntosh

Trezise - good enough to be playing seniors, but manages to get hurt every time he gets the chance. Others should be moved on before him. Should at least get another year as a rookie to prove his value at little cost.

Cumberland - like a lot of fans Cumberland frustrates the hell out of me. Has the skills to be a very good player, but doesn't quite deliver consistently enough to lock himself into the best 23. Wouldn't be against a 1+1 type of deal with triggers in the first year that can earn him the 2nd.

Colina - cut our losses and free up the list spot.

Lefau - was starting to find consistency then joined the ACL club again. Sign him up for 2 years and let him rehab and return in the 2nd half of 2025.

Campbell - should be signed up for at least 2 years and be told that there is a spot on the wing for him in 2025. Covers plenty of ground is clean and composed around the footy and uses it well. Could form a very good wing combination with Hugo moving forward.

Green - like Coulthard, needs to have more games like his last in the VFL, although nobody expects him to kick 5 every week, but it's more about the impact on the game.

Smith - depending on what happens with others who play his position at seasons end an opportunity could arise quickly for Smith to get back into the senior side. Has arguably been our best AFL listed VFL performer this year. Should be signed up to a couple more years without much fuss.

Pickett - his court case could very well decide his future for him. I know plenty want to see him get to the 100 game mark due to his boys and future Father/Son picks, but for me I'd rather opportunity went to younger players in 2025.

Blight - been very impressed by him since he arrived and his debut on Sunday was solid enough given the caliber of opponent. Wouldn't have an issue in giving him 2 years as he fills a need and won't cost much cap space wise.

Gray - like Blight he has been quite impressive since coming across in the MSD. Unfortunately he has been Meehaned and will likely miss the remainder of 2024. We recruited him as a long term option so should at the very least have him as a rookie in 2025.

Contracted Players Linked To Possible Moves

Daniel - IMO Gold Coast will come for him once the season ends especially if they just fall short of making finals. Hardwick will want his run and carry coming out of D50. If he goes we will get a good return in terms of draft assets which will help our rebuild. At this stage I think it's more likely Daniel stays.

Bolton - the longer the season has gone on, the more I've started to believe that Bolton hasn't quite embraced the Yze vision for the team as a whole and Boltons place in it. Yze started out wanting to make Bolton a forward with brief spurts in the middle when needed, which plays to Boltons strengths as an attacking weapon, however, Yze also has a desire for the team to be very strong defensively with the whole side having to buy in to the structure and this is where I feel Bolton hasn't quite got on board. Oftentimes I've seen Bolton being well out of position when playing deep forward when it comes to setting up as part of the defensive structure and some of his defensive efforts in recent weeks have been substandard. I believe it's quite possible that Bolton may well have got his management to gauge interest from the WA sides about a potential move and he could very well request a move come seasons end.

Grimes - unfortunate way to end his career, but the back injury I think signals the end for Grimes

Prestia - 32 in October and body is constantly failing him with soft tissue issues. Hard call but should be retired off as well.

Martin - just turned 33 and body is showing signs of not being able to do the things that made him so special. Not sure the hunger is there either, especially with the team struggling.

Baker - IMO he leaves as the opportunity to return home and set himself up for life with a big offer from WCE will be too hard to knock back. Would take us paying overs to keep him and I don't believe that he is worth that sort of deal.

Maurice - was thinking a few weeks back that he may head north with Daniel, but with his sister about to arrive at the club as part of the AFLW side, I think he remains in Melbourne. Was starting to show some good signs before injury struck.

Ralphsmith - likely to be signed to a 2 year deal having proven his worth on the wing since forcing his way into the line up.

Naismith - a worthwhile gamble given the cost, but sadly another knee injury means that he's time is up.

Coulthard - needs to have more games like Sundays effort against Carlton in the VFL if he wants to be here in 2025.

Dow - think he'll get a 2 year deal as cover for the midfield. Hasn't come on as expected this year in part because of injuries to others in the midfield. Still believe he can be a role player in a developing midfield unit.

McIntosh - like many I thought this would be KMacs last year at the club, but I think he is one we could keep for another 12-24 months as depth while we bring better quality options through. The thing with Kamdyn is that he is very much a team first player who you know will do what is asked of him each week.

Graham - very much a 50-50 decision around him staying or going. Seems to be highly rated inside the club, not so highly regarded by the fans. If we do lose a swag of experienced players to retirement I can see the club looking to keep him around in a similar manner to McIntosh

Trezise - good enough to be playing seniors, but manages to get hurt every time he gets the chance. Others should be moved on before him. Should at least get another year as a rookie to prove his value at little cost.

Cumberland - like a lot of fans Cumberland frustrates the hell out of me. Has the skills to be a very good player, but doesn't quite deliver consistently enough to lock himself into the best 23. Wouldn't be against a 1+1 type of deal with triggers in the first year that can earn him the 2nd.

Lefau - was starting to find consistency then joined the ACL club again. Sign him up for 2 years and let him rehab and return in the 2nd half of 2025.

Campbell - should be signed up for at least 2 years and be told that there is a spot on the wing for him in 2025. Covers plenty of ground is clean and composed around the footy and uses it well. Could form a very good wing combination with Hugo moving forward.

Green - like Coulthard, needs to have more games like his last in the VFL, although nobody expects him to kick 5 every week, but it's more about the impact on the game.

Smith - depending on what happens with others who play his position at seasons end an opportunity could arise quickly for Smith to get back into the senior side. Has arguably been our best AFL listed VFL performer this year. Should be signed up to a couple more years without much fuss.

Pickett - his court case could very well decide his future for him. I know plenty want to see him get to the 100 game mark due to his boys and future Father/Son picks, but for me I'd rather opportunity went to younger players in 2025.

Blight - been very impressed by him since he arrived and his debut on Sunday was solid enough given the caliber of opponent. Wouldn't have an issue in giving him 2 years as he fills a need and won't cost much cap space wise.

Gray - like Blight he has been quite impressive since coming across in the MSD. Unfortunately he has been Meehaned and will likely miss the remainder of 2024. We recruited him as a long term option so should at the very least have him as a rookie in 2025.

Daniel - IMO Gold Coast will come for him once the season ends especially if they just fall short of making finals. Hardwick will want his run and carry coming out of D50. If he goes we will get a good return in terms of draft assets which will help our rebuild. At this stage I think it's more likely Daniel stays.

Bolton - the longer the season has gone on, the more I've started to believe that Bolton hasn't quite embraced the Yze vision for the team as a whole and Boltons place in it. Yze started out wanting to make Bolton a forward with brief spurts in the middle when needed, which plays to Boltons strengths as an attacking weapon, however, Yze also has a desire for the team to be very strong defensively with the whole side having to buy in to the structure and this is where I feel Bolton hasn't quite got on board. Oftentimes I've seen Bolton being well out of position when playing deep forward when it comes to setting up as part of the defensive structure and some of his defensive efforts in recent weeks have been substandard. I believe it's quite possible that Bolton may well have got his management to gauge interest from the WA sides about a potential move and he could very well request a move come seasons end.
Nice summary but it would have been easier to put a list together on who is staying!

Nice summary but it would have been easier to put a list together on who is staying!
These are the remaining out of contract players, plus to 2 most linked to possible trade requests

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no real issue with us retaining the likes of graham and kmac as long as theyre in the 2s as depth. In no way should there be veteran role players taking kids spots.

Trade period / National Draft 2024

Back