Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll see... Plenty of footy experts are saying we are the biggest danger to Collingwood this year.

Apparently its not on the back of our Ruck division or our backline....
Even the most avid Hawks supporter will acknowledge your ruck is poor, arguably the worst in the league and your backline can struggle. When Murphy gets a gig in a team......trouble. Stratton, Shooey and Gilham can be very good, but your backline has holes......though so do the Saints, so no issue if your midfield functions defensively.

Your system was very well built in 2008, but 2011 sees a different game and it will be interesting to see a healthy Hawks squad now in comparrison to then.

All up in the air at this stage, for every team.

We'll see... Plenty of footy experts are saying we are the biggest danger to Collingwood this year.

Apparently its not on the back of our Ruck division or our backline....

You can have the "not best midfield" in the league and still be a force especially with Buddy, Roughhead combo in your team

I didn't say you would be shit, I just don't think you have the best midfield.

but unlike people on here I reckon Burgyone (or however you spell it) was a good addition.

Even the most avid Hawks supporter will acknowledge your ruck is poor, arguably the worst in the league and your backline can struggle. When Murphy gets a gig in a team......trouble. Stratton, Shooey and Gilham can be very good, but your backline has holes......though so do the Saints, so no issue if your midfield functions defensively.

Your system was very well built in 2008, but 2011 sees a different game and it will be interesting to see a healthy Hawks squad now in comparrison to then.

Agree to a point, your comments about Murphy are misguided. Murphy copped a really bad rap on the back of the start of 2009 when we had Croad injured (never to return) Gilham missed the first half of the season, and Shoey etc were nowhere near ready for key defensive posts. Murphy was very good last year did a number of great jobs defensively and his skills using the ball coming out are very solid without being damaging.

Stratton and Gibson have been big additions for us, both are a fraction under size but make up for it with great athleticism and running capacity.

A fit and firing Max Baily (204cm) (MASSIVE QUESTION MARK) could see us be a real contender.

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a preview for the Hawthorn vs Adelaide game. There seems to be alot of different opinions of best 22's, can someone post a likely line up for round one?

Our ruck is without a doubt the worst in the league. Our backline can indeed be shown up but most of the time this happens is due to our lazy midfield as opposed to deficiencies in our defenders.

Our ruck is without a doubt the worst in the league. Our backline can indeed be shown up but most of the time this happens is due to our lazy midfield as opposed to deficiencies in our defenders.

what do you mean by Lazy? Just curious, do you mean they don't put enough defensive pressure on the ball on its travels from the forward line or don't get back quickly enough to fill the gaps in the back 50?

what do you mean by Lazy? Just curious, do you mean they don't put enough defensive pressure on the ball on its travels from the forward line or don't get back quickly enough to fill the gaps in the back 50?

Too many of our midfield players were unable to exert any let alone an acceptable level of defensive pressure. Our back line plays well as a unit but when forced to play one on one as the ball is coming in so freely we get torn apart.

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a preview for the Hawthorn vs Adelaide game. There seems to be alot of different opinions of best 22's, can someone post a likely line up for round one?

If I were a betting man I'd say:

Porpoise walker danger
Knights tippo Reilly
Mackay thommo van berlo
Tambling Stevens doughty
Johncock rutten Davis

Maric Vince Douglas

Mckernan otten sloane

Symes

Inj; hendo, Martin

I reckon pext is close to the mark
positions are not really that relevant..

I think henderson & tippett will be ready to go

I expect symes to get the nod ahead of tambling...

add jaensch / moran into the frame work
you'll have a squad of 25...

then it will come down to game plan
conditions...as to the final 21.5

Too many of our midfield players were unable to exert any let alone an acceptable level of defensive pressure. Our back line plays well as a unit but when forced to play one on one as the ball is coming in so freely we get torn apart.

ah, so effectively your talking about pressure on the ball carrier, something the Crows had issues with last year.

Defensive movements interest me alot because people talk up "attack for defence" etc hence picking players that can run and carry but it makes me wonder if the movement to this style of defenders has gone too far and teams are suffering if any of them are caught 1 on 1.

Looking at the Richmond v Adelaide game, Symes was quite poor. Now, he has the runs on the board and Tambling doesn't (for the Crows I mean), but with Martin's likely absence it'll probably make room for only one of these blokes, even if it's just as a sub.

Tambling was good against the Tigers. Intensity was good and ball-use was a considerable improvement. Wasn't fumbly and seemed to have more confidence to go forwards and not sideways or backwards. He's definitely still a bit unfit as there were plenty of opportunities for him to run and receive and yet he didn't attempt it, but I wouldn't rub him out for Round 1. If Tippett players against the Hawks, it seems more and more likely that only one of Symes, Tambling, Smith and Jaensch will play. Given the strength and depth of our forward line, I'd be thinking Jaensch might not get a sniff.

Personally I think it's out of Symes or Smith. I know who I would go with, but I also know who I think Neil will go with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are poeple expecting Knights to play? Im hoping he plays mainly in the mids and not much deep? What are you blokes thinking? Same role as in previous years?

ps. Im a crows supporter

Where are poeple expecting Knights to play? Im hoping he plays mainly in the mids and not much deep? What are you blokes thinking? Same role as in previous years?

ps. Im a crows supporter

I would expect him to mainly play in the high half forward role but I also see him playing stints through the midfield due to the sub rule.

i'd expect Knights to play the
mid/fwd sweeping role around about the 50 arc with a healthy appetite for kicking goals...and helping his team mates do the same...

a good season from him...we'll make the 8
a great season from him... top four...and maybe then some..

In another thread about best all-time team, Sydney_Crow reminded me of a strong-bodied half forward who could be a match winner on his day - one Peter Vardy. I can see Knights becoming this type of player, possibly even better given he has a bigger tank.

i'd expect Knights to play the
mid/fwd sweeping role around about the 50 arc with a healthy appetite for kicking goals...and helping his team mates do the same...

a good season from him...we'll make the 8
a great season from him... top four...and maybe then some..
A bit like Stevie J im thinking....

ps. Im a crows supporter

Knights will play high half forward and based on his form in the first half of the Richmond scratchie... and knowing he kicks 3 in the last... I dare say he'll do it exceedingly well.

The only problem for your dreamteam will be that he tends to have alot of injuries. If he plays most games this year he will be a great buy.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108179/default.aspx

this one stated that hodge expected to play 2 pre-season games...
and he's managed 0...
could be missing in round 1... underdone at best...

and buddy has only played half a game since going off with a knee issue
against the kangas...

I'd expect both will play though and given the match reports saying
the hawks have faded a bit late in the preseason games...
maybe they could be found wanting in the last qtr...

hopefully we can put them away early...
and grab the points...

go crows...

Knights will play high half forward and based on his form in the first half of the Richmond scratchie... and knowing he kicks 3 in the last... I dare say he'll do it exceedingly well.

The only problem for your dreamteam will be that he tends to have alot of injuries. If he plays most games this year he will be a great buy.

Has Knights had an uninterupted pre-season? I'm keen to add him to my forward line for sc

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back