Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Will both O'Meara and Mitchell be in the team round 1? Could this be where Sam makes his statement of where the list is going? Ward, Worpel, Newcombe could be where he heads if they keep impressing in preseason and then maybe one of JOM and Tom

Will both O'Meara and Mitchell be in the team round 1? Could this be where Sam makes his statement of where the list is going? Ward, Worpel, Newcombe could be where he heads if they keep impressing in preseason and then maybe one of JOM and Tom

Depends on their tank now and whether the coaching team persist with one of th e highest midfield rotations In the AFL under Clarko

Just my observations from today

No Shows Dimma and Saunders

Gunston is back in full contact great to see. A few cringe worthy moments where I was like will he get up sore but i was mistaken all good. Tackling, bumping pack marking the only way is up

Morrison at this stage is set for round1. Has been outstanding all preseason

Howe had a quiet one compared to other sessions. I have to say I didn't see Mcdonald as influential as he has been in past intras. Finn for me is behind quite a few others.

Worps and Newc were the best mids on the ground for effectiveness. Given newc playing so well and Nash being behind the 8 ball i can see Newc being there round 1 and Nash not.

Seamus's involvement is limited by his fitness. He will improve over the pre seasons

DGB had is best session today. Was aggressive and had an influence as a defender. Helped that gold were dominating the middle of the ground.

Sic's effectiveness was quelled somewhat today even though he did get it quite a bit. He wasn't the springboard of attack that he was last week.

Moore and Brockman were much more involved in transition today. The were getting all the way to half back at times. Moore also set for a big year turning Scrimshaw inside out on the wing in a contest.

Scrim has been rather consistent all pre season. Today wasn't one of his better games.

Callow really struggled to get into it as a forward. Kosi was forced to come up to the wing to get a kick. Jeka similar to Kosi.

Good to see Morris out there playing Dimma's role. He was pretty good.

Its important to note that JOM didn't take many center bounces. Long and McDonald were up against Worps and Newcs. Mitch was in there mostly on shiels
Awesome stuff T4P. Love your work 👍

I'd be staggered if both weren't locks for round 1.

They both play.
It's more your Phillips, Shiels types in strife for mine.

22 players. Six backs, four defined forwards and a ruck. Who’s the 11 between the arcs? (Rotating of course)

Get the midfield purring before adding talls etc as the season progresses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They both play.
It's more your Phillips, Shiels types in strife for mine.
Agreed can’t see them not playing. What I am hoping for is they don’t spend as much in the centre square though. The more opportunities Worpel, Ward, MacDonald, Newc etc get the better.

Well it was a nice dose of Winter out at Waverley this morning. Cloudy, cold, windy and the rain started just as I was leaving.

It was an outstanding session to witness as it was very much all match sim type drills followed by actual match sim in the format of 3 x 15min qtrs, or technically, thirds.

Overall, standout players for me today were Worpel, Macdonald & Newcombe.

SYL has provided some tasty morsels from todays session but here are my observations:

Gold:
McEvoy
Breust
Worpel
Newcombe
Ward
Lynch
Denver
Lewis
Brockman
Jeka
Shiels

Brown:
Reeves
O'Meara
T Mitchell
MacDonald
Magginess
Callow
Kosi
Moore
Philips
Howe
Gunners
Morris
Seamus Mitchell
Morrison

plus some Box Hill Players on each side including Aducci, Blank, Porter Wynd, Philips

Worpel was the dominant mid on the ground. He had more of the ball than anybody and repeatedly just cut a path through opposition mids and generally disposed of the ball nicely. On multiple occasions he combined with Ward at centre bounces with Worpel getting the clearance and dishing off to Ward who was waiting just off the contest. This looks to be a mouth watering combo for the future.

This brings me to Ward who did nothing to dampen our collective enthusiasm re. his potential. Composure, skill, work rate. Josh has it all. Time and again he would dispose of the ball at half back or in the middle and then be at half forward ready to get involved again. His disposal is top notch and he never panics.

Macdonald, like Ward, doesn't seem to have any really noticeable deficiencies as a player. His disposal over all distances is verging on elite. I reckon he earned more frees that anybody today and it was due to his tackling and pressure. He is a very smooth mover and like Ward, has bucket loads of composure. It's crazy that these two blokes are just 18 years old.

Newcombe was dominant. He was on the gold team along with Worpel and Ward and the three of them were all over Tom Mitchell, Jaegar and Maginnes. Newcombe was only just behind Worpel in terms of his ball winning and was pivotal in many of the attacking plays for the gold team. He tackled like a mad man but what I really liked about Newk's game was the way that he never rushed his disposal. He would draw the opposition player to him to open up space before disposing. He is a round 1 lock for me.

The ruck battle was interesting and should give us all reason to be hopeful. Big Boy and Lynch were on the gold team rucking against Reeves on the brown team. Lynch rucked really well and probably beat Reeves overall, that being said Reeves had some good moments against both Lynch and Big Boy. A few nice taps from reeves to the likes of Macdonald and Maginess. Reeves also took a great juggling contested mark in the forward 50 and then slooted the goal. Lynch was good all over the ground and seemed to have a fair bit of the ball. he dropped back into space to successfully spoil the incoming ball on a number of occasions. he seems to know where to be and was reliable with his use of the ball. He also took a nice mark in the forward line and kicked the goal. I'm bullish about Lynch. he could end up being a steal.

Big Boy was class all over the ground. Whether rucking or playing forward, he took marks, kicked a goal and imposed himself on the session. Looks and acts like the Captain.

Maginness was interesting. The good part is that he definitely knows how to get he ball. he played a fair bit of time as an inside mid and got some clearances. Was also at half back and was pretty good there. He is almost untackleable (is that a word?). He stands up in a tackle, even with two guys trying to pull him down and always get his arms free. What let him down today was his disposal.

DGB's defensive work was first rate. Disposal not so much. DGB generally impacted most of the contests that came into the defensive 50 and was probably one of the main reasons that the brown team found it so hard to score even when they did the ball down their end.

Mitch lewis was very good today and the pick of the fwds. Probably the best i have seen him during any preseason. Showing some real intent, taking good marks. getting up the ground and impacting the play when the ball wasn't coming to him in the fwd line. Hoping this signals a step up for Mitch in 2022.

Kosi had to getup the ground alot as the ball wasn't coming to the brown fwd line much. He took a ripper mark, hit contest hard and disposal was good.

It warmed my heart to see Sicily out there going at full tilt. Every kick was perfection, He was clean by hand and took a pearler of an intercept mark. What a recruit for 2022.

Moore looks set for another good year and may even go up a nother level. he was not far behind the best players.

Howe & Morrison were quiet.

O'meara was decent but not dominant.

T Mitchell did get a lot of the ball but seemed to be hassled and harassed by Gold players, largely Ward & Newcombe, and ended up being relatively ineffective.

Shiels was very solid for the Gold team.

Seamus M show glimpses of being a special player and is lightning fast.

Rehab group:
Day, Impey, Nash, O'hara, CJ, Wingard, Downie.

That's all for now.

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life -

And I'm -
Happy Feeling Good GIF by Jarritos

They will definitely be in the team in round 1. There are several players that would be dropped prior to either of them IMO.

Spot on - Lets always remember this
When i married the Mrs, I told her she's a hawthorn supporter (wasn't going to have a divided household)
Didn't speak to her for a couple of hrs after she called it yellow.

Anyway, she's rusted on now, and without thinking, will correct people who call it yellow

I don't think i've seen Lachie Brambles name mentioned once in any of these reports. Flying under the radar?
Actually houdinhuddo and I both thought Bramble was really good today. He ran hard and fast, competed hard and was influential for the brown team.

Did anyone take notice of the forward set ups today?
Yes, and in particular one side that looked to have almost the entire forward 6 set up at one point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back