Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

27-1
Seemingly forever in debt
It ain’t no fluke … and it continues …
yeah it isn't a fluke that's for sure. maybe they should televise lower supported teams more often so they have a chance of getting new fans, We aren't all as lucky as Carlton. We don't get a decade of never ending friday games while we are at the bottom of the ladder.

yeah it isn't a fluke that's for sure. maybe they should televise lower supported teams more often so they have a chance of getting new fans, We aren't all as lucky as Carlton. We don't get a decade of never ending friday games while we are at the bottom of the ladder.

8 goals a game ain’t getting it done on Friday night telecasts.
Perhaps if the Saints put Ross through a process they might have discovered this …

You’re probably right.
But the Saints could only attract 18k to their game on the weekend.
Perhaps empty stadiums are next for them.
Perennial problem child of the AFL who’ll have to and will keep them afloat forever and a day with the bigger picture in mind …

St Kilda have historically had a lot of people that barrack for them - but have never really managed to translate that into invested supporters.

Even when they've been good, their crowds and membership numbers have been similar to that of Richmond and Collingwood when they've sucked.

I think the AFL are confident that those people can be turned into invested supporters. Put it this way, if they won't rock up to St Kilda games, they're sure as hell not going to start rocking up to Tassie Saints or Darwin Saints games, are they?

They'd be lost to the game.

The AFL is trying to grow the game, not shrink it.

Who knows
I know.

And I think everyone with an ounce of common sense knows that there is literally nothing you will learn about an experienced coach that you know personally from sitting through an interview process.

It's the most ludicrous suggestion I've ever heard.

What could he have possibly said in an interview, that the people that hired him hadn't already discussed at length with him previously, that would have changed their minds?

How about blaming your own clubs recruiting staff for picking Coffield and Clark instead of Naughton or Macartin instead of petracca or Billings instead of Bont or Max king instead of Ben King
Part of the problem is they have been impatient as well. Trading out Picks for Carlise that could have resulted in MKay or Curnow. Traded for Brad Hill for Acres and pick 10. Building a list that will be around the bottom of the 8 but not good enough to win a final.

Hearing SOS wants to gut the list for draft picks for a good old scorched earth rebuild.

I know.

And I think everyone with an ounce of common sense knows that there is literally nothing you will learn about an experienced coach that you know personally from sitting through an interview process.

It's the most ludicrous suggestion I've ever heard.

What could he have possibly said in an interview, that the people that hired him hadn't already discussed at length with him previously, that would have changed their minds?

Good for you mate 👍
If it’s that important to you, take it up with Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or any other club that may have required Ross or any prospective coach to work through a process as is pretty common practice these days …

Good for you mate 👍
If it’s that important to you, take it up with Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or any other club that may have required Ross or any prospective coach to work through a process as is pretty common practice these days …

It's common - but it's not designed so you can learn what a coaches philosophy and expectations are if you already know them!!

Put it this way, if Lyon had have agreed to a 'process' at Carlton, he was guaranteed the job. The people at Carlton that had already conditionally offered him the role weren't going to learn anything that they didn't already know about him or his style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re probably right.
But the Saints could only attract 18k to their game on the weekend.
Perhaps empty stadiums are next for them.
Perennial problem child of the AFL who’ll have to and will keep them afloat forever and a day with the bigger picture in mind …
That's hardly a problem unique to the Saints though.

If a club is struggling, people don't turn up. Particularly against an interstate side on a Sunday afternoon.

It's only the nuffies like us on here who will pay attention when things aren't going well, and will go to games just to see signs from the youngsters.

The every day fan couldn't care less if they're not winning, that goes for every club.

and its sad when your here gloating about how shit our teams recruiting is when your team basically recruits itself.
Well its called a reactionary response to a forum question about a team being in no mans land, what part of what i wrote has nothing to do with that forum topic question?

Correct - Geelong, Essendon, Port x2, Hawks and GWS.

Not great but hopefully easier to turn around than if we were losing by 50 every week.
Yep Saints have 5 wins and 10 losses. Could of been 10 wins and 5 losses and a spot in the top 6.

This season will be similar to last season. I think theres is gonna be a 2 or 3 game gap between 5th to 12 th
How about blaming your own clubs recruiting staff for picking Coffield and Clark instead of Naughton or Macartin instead of petracca or Billings instead of Bont or Max king instead of Ben King
true.

I just think of the crows. Their main weakness is the midfield.

Jordan Gallucci ovver Sam Powell Pepper in 2016.

Chaynce Jones over Zack Butters in 2018 was bad.

In 2019, Crows had pick 6 and used it on FIsher McAsey. Freo used picks 7 and 8 on Caleb Serong and Hayden Young.
I'm constantly amazed by the criticism of ross lyon. when hes had the cattle his teams have been very good and sure they start from defence first but who doesnt. Geelong would have been nowhere without scarlett, harley, mackie and stewart.

Hes frequently had 2-5 players in the team who arent exactly a graders who ran hard and did everything youd ask of them (mcqualter, nick suban, lee spurr etc played some of their best footy when the team was going as well as it could but werent exactly world beaters at the afl level)

But people just want to tag him with a defence at all costs game. its simply not true. Ive watched the saints a few times this season - i must say that they try to attack. theyre just rubbish forward of centre both in delivery and who is receiving it.
Thank you for Bringing this up.

Lee Spurr was a mature aged defender. Had 7 solid seasons from 2012-18.

Nick Suban, Clancee Pearce and Matt De Boer were from the 2008 draft. They were not great. The were C graders at best but worked hard. All 3 were gone at the end of 2016 when freo went 4 wins and 18 losses.

But yeah Ross Lyon loved his hard working role players.

Weird question but would you trade Jeremy Cameron for Max King?

St Kilda have historically had a lot of people that barrack for them - but have never really managed to translate that into invested supporters.

Even when they've been good, their crowds and membership numbers have been similar to that of Richmond and Collingwood when they've sucked.

I think the AFL are confident that those people can be turned into invested supporters. Put it this way, if they won't rock up to St Kilda games, they're sure as hell not going to start rocking up to Tassie Saints or Darwin Saints games, are they?

They'd be lost to the game.

The AFL is trying to grow the game, not shrink it.

Tell me one other successful professional sport competition around the world that has an odd number of teams

19 team comp is going to be a disaster

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Part of the problem is they have been impatient as well. Trading out Picks for Carlise that could have resulted in MKay or Curnow. Traded for Brad Hill for Acres and pick 10. Building a list that will be around the bottom of the 8 but not good enough to win a final.

Hearing SOS wants to gut the list for draft picks for a good old scorched earth rebuild.

We wish.

Just in a really strange position arent they.

I think they have to strip it right back and rebuild properly.

Are there any A graders on the list? Probably Marshall. Maybe Sinclair.

Steele has gone backwards, and the rest of their midfield is horrible.

Why on earth would we do that.

Have you seen our midfield.

Also Max just did his knee and will miss the rest of the season. The whole media narrative about us trading him lasted less than 24 hours.
Did he do his PCL playing in the ruck? It's the typical injury ruckmen have suffered. I hope in the quest to try to help him find form, the team hasn't increased his risk of this injury. North does the same playing Larkey as a relief ruckman - I hate it when this happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back