How scared are you of St Kilda this year?

How scared are you of St Kilda this year?

• A bit scared

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • Quite scared

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Very scared

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • A bit of wee came out

Votes: 74 38.3%
  • Hold me

Votes: 82 42.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm hoping for bottom 4 at the very least. Top 3/Top 5 draft pick this is the way.
I don't think this will happen.

St Kilda are awfully close to being very good.

It's a weird one. Given how putrid they are to watch and how awful they appear to the eye, it's hard to imagine that they're close to being very good.

But only 1 team has gotten a hold of them.

They clearly have a game style that is hard to play against. Coaches often start with that, then start to transition to an uplift of the offence. It's rare that a new coach can come in and 'fix' both simultaneously.

They are clearly in an educational phase under Lyon and his assistants.

If, and that absolutely remains an 'if', they can integrate their horribly defensive game plan with some offence - they'll be really, really good.

But as I said, it's definitely not a guarantee that they (1) have the cattle to execute both, or (2) whether Lyon has it in him to develop and implement a strategy that can actually deliver both.

But you need to be careful that the education process doesn't linger too long, otherwise players can lose belief and even interest.

It's my guess that with guys like Wood and Henry now back, and with Dow and Clark close - the kids won't be getting games like they have been. I think Lyon is feeling some heat to win, and he expressed his frustration at not being able to instruct players more often. The AFL aren't going to change the rules for him - so the next best way is to get experienced players on the ground that can provide some guidance and direction.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they've lost a bunch of close games whilst missing heaps of their senior players.

So I reckon St Kilda will make a bit of a run in the second half of the year. Sadly for them, it will mean more middle of the road type stuff in terms of ladder position and draft access.

Last edited:

Back