Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a lot of people who'll say the co and captain of a football club at the kids clinic are such lovely boys. they're basically working and it's the best chance to give a great impression.

Think the most genuine interactions is when you're a shitkicker worker serving them or vaguely know them through mates or see them out on the piss.

Or you went to school with them. that's where the good stories are.
True - but there’d be plenty of fellas in the league that were genuine shit human beings at age 15/16, (often because they were on the path to playing AFL) that would’ve matured a lot as the time’s gone on

Jasper Scaife (MSD pick for the Hawks) falls into this category

I met Travis Varcoe in the pub a while back. Nice bloke, but everyone in the pub had to shout him drinks as he'd lost his wallet.

It would be more of a shock if Darcy Moore wasn't a huge flog. Famous father privilege plus knowing from under 10s he was going to play AFL. It's like being surprised Kim Jong Il isnt a great guy

Or you went to school with them. that's where the good stories are.

An interesting anecdote from former number 1 pick Michael Gardners school days. He never owned a school bag, school books or writing material. He had been guaranteed by the Eagles they were going to draft him and told by the school they would graduate him from year 12 if he attended a set number of classes. So he would turn up at school with literally nothing, sit there for the required hours then go home

There's a lot of people who'll say the co and captain of a football club at the kids clinic are such lovely boys. they're basically working and it's the best chance to give a great impression.

Had the displeasure of meeting Jason Dunstall at a meet and greet at a car yard when I was about 12/13. Seemed to get legitimately angry when people would go up and talk to him...which seemed to be the whole point of the thing. :think:

That's why Dunstall for me was so bad. Treated me like shit at a footy clinic when I was 10 hahah

An interesting anecdote from former number 1 pick Michael Gardners school days. He never owned a school bag, school books or writing material. He had been guaranteed by the Eagles they were going to draft him and told by the school they would graduate him from year 12 if he attended a set number of classes. So he would turn up at school with literally nothing, sit there for the required hours then go home
To be fair, lots of elite footballers did this, even at the most prestigious of schools.

As long as they're not disrupting other students, good on them!

Awhile back now I was at the footy at Perth stadium. Our seats were two rows back from the boundry.

Early in the first quarter Mundy from the dockers chased the ball out to the boundry put the ball under his arm and kept on loping along until he was over the boundry line right infront of us.The Eagles home crowd all went 'deliberate!' ,the umpire went ,'nope throw it in' ,and while the boundry umpire and the players were organising themselves I called out to the umpire .I said, 'what objective did he have? '. And Fyfe from the dockers said ,' objective ,that's a big word for you'. Fyfes a **** head. I was glad when when he copped a squirrel grip moments later which made him squeal like a girl.

Awhile back now I was at the footy at Perth stadium. Our seats were two rows back from the boundry.

Early in the first quarter Mundy from the dockers chased the ball out to the boundry put the ball under his arm and kept on loping along until he was over the boundry line right infront of us.The Eagles home crowd all went 'deliberate!' ,the umpire went ,'nope throw it in' ,and while the boundry umpire and the players were organising themselves I called out to the umpire .I said, 'what objective did he have? '. And Fyfe from the dockers said ,' objective ,that's a big word for you'. Fyfes a **** head. I was glad when when he copped a squirrel grip moments later which made him squeal like a girl.
And then everyone clapped

I used to see him at Middleton Beach in the off-season with the most ludicrous red fanny wagon you've ever seen, would peacock around and do circuits around all the high school chicks. absolute knobber.

Apparently he's mellowed out a bit. apparently he reckons the trade to St Kilda saved his life.

I used to see him at Middleton Beach in the off-season with the most ludicrous red fanny wagon you've ever seen, would peacock around and do circuits around all the high school chicks. absolute knobber.

Apparently he's mellowed out a bit. apparently he reckons the trade to St Kilda saved his life.

Saw him a few years ago in a cafe down Albert Park way, he was in commercial real estate (not sure if he still is) and had a team of about 10 people who pretty clearly worked for him. Seemed every bit the corporate boss. Still looks intimidating though.

While we are here, have never met Wayne Carey but have been in venues a few times when he is around. He's bad news, you can feel it in the air.

If anybody remembers Celebrity Deathmatch, were something similar run for this, it feels like you'd want Darcy Moore and Garry Lyon in opposite sides of the draw because that would be the final all the punters would want to decide the rudest trophy winner.

Garry Lyon could ask Moore for a selfie as the opening gambit.

I think you've got to be a pretty good performer in the media to get away with the "do not approach" tag as a former star player. It kind of makes me wonder why people who are so stand-offish and openly/unapologetic about not being interested in the fan interactions actually choose to make a career out of being on the TV and radio all the time. Dunstall's one thing, but the people who Lyon tells to f*** off now when they go up to say hello are probably the kids who used to watch him hosting the Footy Squadron on Saturday mornings.

It's funny, they're just people and you've got them for maybe a 20 second interaction on what could be a great day or a shitty day for them. So I generally just leave people alone. Still I think in the main, just being a player in the AFL environment would warp people a bit, it's probably better to get them 4-5 years after they're out of the system to see their true colours.

There was a player who had a pretty solid 7-8 years on an AFL list, who was originally from the school where I'd just started playing old boys footy, when his AFL career was starting (I wasn't an old boy). There was a big function which kicked on to the Swan and he introduced himself, called me by my nickname and I kind of said, "I know who you are mate, how's the year going?"

By the end of his time on the list, when he'd catch up with the old school crew, they'd be telling us stories like them being in a cab and saying to the talkative driver "Hey mate, less of this (mimicking talking with his hand) and more of this (mimicking turning a steering wheel)"... you know, just doing random floggish things. I bet he's back to being a normal good-hearted bloke now. And this guy wasn't any team of the century candidate either, so you can sort of see why people like Lyon and Dunstall are the way they are.

Loooooong time ago, but we had a footy clinic in Mooroopna but it was pissing rain all day so it was over indoors and they decided they would just let the kids (of which I was one) mingle among the players.
Was ages ago, but I remember approaching Mark McClure for an autograph and it was like pulling teeth. Rolled his eyes and grunted. Slightly discouraged, but determined, I approached Robert Wiley and the experience could not have been more different. Smiled and asked my name.

My cousins, who are no longer with us, both had muscular dystrophy and by the time, were confined to wheelchairs. I remember being at the beach with them and we were up near the dunes. We saw Nathan Buckley walk past with his dog. One of my cousins was a cheeky bugger and yelled out to him. Buckley walked all the way over to us and proceeded to talk to us and ask the boys about their condition. Genuinely wanted to learn and was empathetic. Just a lovely bloke.

Can confirm Brett Deledio hates signing stuff for kids, but only if they are rude or don’t use their manners. One time a kid walked up to him and kind of tried to hand a piece of paper and pen to him. lids told the kid, who would have been all but 6 or 7, to come back when he learned some manners. I said “gee man, the kid might have been nervous or starstruck. Go easy.”

Dustin Fletcher, Paul Chapman, Nick Maxwell, Nathan Brown (ex Pie and Saint), Paul Salmon, Tommy Hafey, Dale Weightman, Bachar Houli, Tony Armstrong - I have had a positive experience with them all.

Played a few games of cricket with Brad Ottens and Marc Dragacevic. Dragger is one of the funniest blokes I have met. Played three games with him and he made 3 tons. ottens genuinely nice fella. A little bit simple perhaps.

Have met Bill Brownless twice and both times was rude and dismissive.

Not footy, but as a teen I was a reasonably talented batsman in cricket. About 20 of the region’s best under 16 cricketers were invited to trials where Jamie Siddons oversaw it. Got to my turn in the nets and I lasted about five balls before Siddons told to get the **** out there, pack your things and piss off. “You don’t move your feet and you’re no good. it’s no use wasting each other’s time”. He was right of course, I wasn’t good enough. But the embarrassment of being told that in front of 20 or so of my peers as a 16-year-old was outright humiliating.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Various interactions with the following and couldn't fault any of them:

Glenn Archer
Anthony Stevens
Ross Smith
Djaran Whyman (#1 bloke on this list)
Travis Varcoe
Gavin Brown
Febey twins
Joel Perry
Dean Laidley (heard stories but was happy to chat)
Chris Grant
Barry Stoneham
Billy Brownless
Simon Madden
Brett Cook
Jamie Elliott (ex Saints/Roys)
Jarrad Waite

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back