Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicest is Trent Cotchin by far. Absolute ripper bloke, he went out of his way to say hello to me and my family when I was younger.
Love the story that Daisy Pearce tells about Cotch. A bit long, but stick with it.

One Sunday morning on a match day a couple of seasons back she turns up at Punt Road where she was meant to meet up with Peggy O'Neill to run an interview with our Pres at the time. The place was deserted, the reception all locked up and nobody on duty. She knocked at the front door of the building intermittently for a couple of minutes without any luck. No one around at all, and she didn't have Peggy's personal number.

Trent Cotchin turned up a few minutes later with a key to get into the building, and also had Peggy's mobile number and gave her a call for Daisy. Apparently Peggy was caught in traffic and running a bit late, so Trent invited Daisy into the otherwise empty building, told her to take a seat, and went and made her a coffee.

While they were sitting having a bit of a natter, there was a knock on the tinted glass, with a random Richmond supporter with his young son peeking inside trying to see if there was any sign of life. Instead of just ignoring him, Cotch went to the door, opened it up and asked the very surprised bloke if he needed a hand with something. The very sheepish supporter apologised and said that he'd accidentally left his and his son's membership cards at home out in the suburbs, and was hoping the main office was open to get a temporary pass printed off to save him the 2 hour round trip home and back to get the cards.

Instead of just fobbing the bloke off and telling him he'd missed the office hours, Cotch invited them both in, introduced them to Daisy Pearce, got the kid a coke, went out to office area, booted up one of the computers, and proceeded to print off some free passes for bloke and his son for that afternoon's match.

Daisy Pearce told how she just sat there gobsmacked as all this was going. She knew that Cotch had no idea who the bloke was, but went about looking after him anyway, just because he was Richmond member in a spot of trouble. On the morning of a game day too.

Leaving last years grand final, minding own buisness, walking to Richmond station, recognised two richmond footballers Liam Baker and Camden mcintosh approaching was just going to nod to them and carry on to the train.
Was wearing an Arsenal polo top. Mcintosh then proceeded to unleash on me
“ why the ** are you wearing a sydney swans top to the grand final, Sydney are ***ed, * off back to Sydney “
I thought I’d let it go but on he went, so I turned on my heel “ it’s ****ing Arsenal dickhead, have a proper look”
Baker was clearly embarrassed as he got in between us, pretty happy they both were heading to The Royal, was looking for a fight mcintosh.
Geez bud, still running with the Arsenal top after all these years ?

I’ve had plenty of experiences in the past but the ones that really stand out to me were:

Nick Dal Santo: met at the airport last year before a tassie game and he offered me and my friends a lift to the stadium after our flight, best experience player wise by a long shot.
Mick Martyn: sat next to each other at a local cafe a good 10 years ago, mentioned I was a north supporter and he spoke for an hour about the clubs past and present.
Tom Harley: hosted an assembly at my high school for the vce students in 2010, afterwards one of my teachers allowed me to ask him for an autograph, he happily personally signed 4 individual ones for myself and my cousins.
Nat fyfe: met at a club on grand final night 2009, spoke briefly to him but got a photo with him and congratulated him on his latest Brownlow.
Simon Black: met him on the same night as fyfy, stopped him for a photo, his response was “don’t worry about it mate, I’d love to get a photo with you”, absolute legend.
Curtis Taylor: met him in his first year at an autograph signing with the rest of norths 08 draft picks, out of the 4 he was the one who carried the conversations the most, then a few months later I bumped into him in line at Holey Moley in crown, where I asked him if he remembered me and he said he sure did from the autograph day, then we spoke about our nights and had a laugh.

So many say Fyfe is elusive and arrogant, but I've always found him to be lovely when I have run into him.

We have dogs naed Fyfe and Mundy. They were recently barking at someone across the road and ran over to him. Hubby was yelling out for Fyfe and Mundy, and he was a bit shocked to find the man laughing at them (who the dogs had caught up to) was Ryan Crowley.

Are you a dealer?

Just Kidding ;-)
ha ha

I've met Eliot Yeo and Jack Jarling a couple of times, so only the nice one ;)

I ran into Logan McDonald at the local park once and our dogs had a play - I had no idea who he was (back then) and had a joke with him about footy. It was once I had left that I realised who he was - hope he had a laugh.

Leaving last years grand final, minding own buisness, walking to Richmond station, recognised two richmond footballers Liam Baker and Camden mcintosh approaching was just going to nod to them and carry on to the train.
Was wearing an Arsenal polo top. Mcintosh then proceeded to unleash on me
“ why the ** are you wearing a sydney swans top to the grand final, Sydney are ***ed, * off back to Sydney “
I thought I’d let it go but on he went, so I turned on my heel “ it’s ****ing Arsenal dickhead, have a proper look”
Baker was clearly embarrassed as he got in between us, pretty happy they both were heading to The Royal, was looking for a fight mcintosh.
IMG_1302.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mother used to work at a hotel in Southbank back in the day. She said that Robert Walls stayed one night and was a real arse. His (now late) wife was apparently lovely.

Haven't met many footy players but Mal Brown was a great guy.

Michele Holding is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet.
David Gower was a good bloke as well.

Greg Chappell was an arse.

Sam Mitchell: met him as a kid can’t remember much but a man of few words and didn’t care for the 100s of kids running around jumping on him at the time 😂

Boomer Harvey: met recently at a country nightclub, saw him in the corner and said gday, was nice and wasn’t really noticed by many people.

Jake Carlisle: was the worst by far, absolute dickhead and was caught doing some shady stuff at a club, which I probably can’t say

Matthew Lloyd: played a game for my cricket club and held a function after, good bloke and loves a cruiser 😂

Sam Mitchell: met him as a kid can’t remember much but a man of few words and didn’t care for the 100s of kids running around jumping on him at the time 😂

Boomer Harvey: met recently at a country nightclub, saw him in the corner and said gday, was nice and wasn’t really noticed by many people.

Jake Carlisle: was the worst by far, absolute dickhead and was caught doing some shady stuff at a club, which I probably can’t say

Matthew Lloyd: played a game for my cricket club and held a function after, good bloke and loves a cruiser 😂
forgot about meeting Jake.
met him through work one time, seemed nice enough but the thing that struck me was he had a "lights on, nobody's home" look about him.

Haven't met many footy players but Mal Brown was a great guy.

Michele Holding is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet.
David Gower was a good bloke as well.

Greg Chappell was an arse.
Being told to f*** off by Allan Border was a rite of passage for young cricket fans in Australia during the 80s.

Tom Harley is a gentlemen, Aker is abit of a d*ck.
Second the Tom Harley one.
Spoke with him a fair bit before a game back in 2007 when he was captain before they went out for a warm up. I was still a teen and was pretty nervous talking to him as i didn't want to bother them for more than a handshake but he couldn't have made me feel more comfortable and relaxed.

Couldn't have been nicer to me and absolutely gave me the time of day, even as a teenager that many players probably just would have ignored when they were getting into game mode.

He spoke about the effects of travel, their form at the time (top of the ladder heading into Finals), i asked him who was looking impressive out of the younger guys.

He spoke highly of Selwood who was a first year player and how good he was going to be (nailed that one)...also talked up Matty Egan as a guy who was gonna have a long career in footy (poor Matty was a gun before injuries) and made sure that every player standing in the race signed my footy jumper.

10/10 top bloke, no surprise at all he's succeeded in the footy World and now at top job in Sydney.

Why would I make this up ? Intrigued to know your reasoning.
…..ahh, sees club supported, yep, makes sense.
If you were leaving the granny heading to Richmond station and they were heading to the Royal they’d be walking in the same direction as you. To be approaching you they would have had to already walk past the Royal headed in the opposite direction to it

And even if you could logistically make it work, how would you know they were going to the Royal anyway? Doesn’t pass the smell test

If you were leaving the granny heading to Richmond station and they were heading to the Royal they’d be walking in the same direction as you. To be approaching you they would have had to already walk past the Royal headed in the opposite direction to it

And even if you could logistically make it work, how would you know they were going to the Royal anyway? Doesn’t pass the smell test
I crossed punt road towards the station, they were heading to the Royal, not sure what’s so hard to understand here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back