Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did a book signing with Jimmy Greaves and he was nice to the point of driving his rep mad. Rather than only signing his own book, he signed everything put in front of him, gagged about how England would have won 6-0 if he'd played in 1966 and stayed over an hour longer than scheduled so nobody missed out. Even as a West Ham fan it was hard not to love him.

A few players and ex-players I've met over the years..
  • Cain Ackland - through Auskick when I was a coach. Turned up late, hungover, spent ages on his phone and wasn't interested at all
  • Leigh Montagna - lovely guy, same clinic as Ackland. Was interested and engaged with the kids, a great representative
  • Justin Leppitsch - through work a few years ago, absolutely massive human and a very humble guy
  • Gary O'Donnell - met him at the 2006 Melbourne Cup with his sister Shelley. Absolutely shitfaced but a great bloke who said he'd get us into Corey McKernan's pub and shout us drinks. He was as blind as I'd ever seen someone
  • Nathan Buckley - absolute gentleman, very humble and engaging
  • Gary Pert - came across as very non-genuine, polished and careful and rehearsed about everything he said

My mate played country week with him back in the mid 1980's (Gippsland team, I think...we were Mid Gippy league, Berry was Leongatha region, I think)

My mate is a gentleman, old-school cricketer, play with sportsmanship, etc etc...he hated Berry with a passion. Sledger, redneck, ...but also only wanted to know you if you were a 'somebody'...epitome of the 'hard-nosed' (read 'prick') attitude that some people feel they need to succeed.
Pretty much spot on .
Most of the Vic guys in that era to be honest were like that , a few exceptions of course.

People wouldn't believe it but Broad/Anderson run rings around him as far as being good to be around off field

Rene Kink, Billy Brownless and Doug Hawkins are pretty affable, what you see is what you get. Met all three and know people who have worked with all of them. Bill loves the frothies a bit too much though, routinely got hammered at his own pubs lol.

Mark Mercuri and Michael Long are reserved but friendly.

Syd Jackson is an absolute gentleman, as was Ron Barassi. Happily give you their time to shoot the breeze.

A different type of rude but Phil Krakouer is a massive tight arse. Uncle used to work with Phil and he'd often ask my uncle to leave a bit of soft drink and/or chips leftover for him, rather than using his own meal allowance to pay for food.

Also borrowed a pair of shoes off my uncle that was supposedly for a week for a wedding or something. Many months later Phil returned said shoes all scuffed and well worn 😅

Last edited:
Never met Garry Lyon but I would fully believe your impression. Probably a reason why he ended up with his best mates misses.
A mate did some work at Lyons house over a decade ago. He was blokey and matey with the contractors but was dismissive toward his Mrs, ordering her around. Not sure if it was just a bad day but he was apparently a real turd.

My son went to school with Owies...said he was the worst bloke in the school, constantly bullied everyone especially the smaller kids.
Thats not nice, hate to hear it. Maybe he got some help and cleaned up his act?

Had a uni class with Callum Sinclair when he was with West Coast and had played a handful of games, funny guy but quiet and humble - very much the opposite of your stereotypical footballer who wants everybody to know he’s big time and plays footy. Funnily enough, the lecturer for that class was current Crows head of football Adam Kelly who was then CEO of East Freo in the WAFL.

Also Kevin Sheedy had all the time in the world for me and the other kids at an open training session when he was coaching.

Nicest is Trent Cotchin by far. Absolute ripper bloke, he went out of his way to say hello to me and my family when I was younger.

From the ages of 10 to about 16 I met most Geelong players through school teachers who were Geelong footballers and my best mates old man who used to have a few of them around their place on a regular basis for a bbq and a beer. Most were pretty good when you were that age.

When I was older, 18+

Barry Stoneham and Simon O'Donnell = flogs

Brownless, Enright, Spiro Malakellis, Chris Hemley = legends

When Sydney played in the 1995 gf, I crashed their end of season celebrations at the Aussie Rules Club in King's Cross and had a huge night with them, I was mates with Wade Chapman from Geelong. I can't remember any flogs it was a ripping night had by all.

I did a book signing with Jimmy Greaves and he was nice to the point of driving his rep mad. Rather than only signing his own book, he signed everything put in front of him, gagged about how England would have won 6-0 if he'd played in 1966 and stayed over an hour longer than scheduled so nobody missed out. Even as a West Ham fan it was hard not to love him.
Well he did end up playing for West Ham.

He finished up living in that part of the world and of course he was good mates with Bobby Moore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brownless is a genuinely nice bloke as has been mentioned. Fev too, I've only met once but a mate used to chef at his restaurant and only had good things to say. Luke Ball of the St Kilda crop, Hayes too, met a bunch of them in their heyday out in St Kilda and those two stood out. Fisher and Gardiner were high af lol.

Had a little bit to do with Anthony Rocca through Auskick stuff and junior footy.

Always really friendly and approachable.

He was an assistant coach at North at the time and he had a chuckle when my son, who had no idea who he was, predicted Melbourne would touch up North by 70 points later that weekend.

He saw me a few weeks later at a junior footy game and went out of his way to say hi and we chatted about his son Max and how he was going. I’ve seen his son is in the lower end rep squads now.

Goes without saying that he’s massive. I’m 185cm and 95kg and felt like a child next to him.

Rudest - Andy Gowers - played a game of pool against him late 80's for $100 he lost the game of pool and welched on the bet. Said he would pay the week later as he had no money. Never saw the bloke in the venue ever again.

Nicest - Michael Hurley , always give away tickets to games, sign memorabilia ( boots , sherrins) wherever he could help out, he would irrespective of what footy side you followed

Nicest: Scott Lucas, Dustin Fletcher
Rudest: Might surprise some but Dyson Heppell. Not really rude but was just really aloof. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Nicest was Chris Mainwaring. A absolute legend around the childrens hospitals. Would come in constantly to bring the kids signed gear and to have a chat and take some photos. He basically just came in and gave motivational talks also and made you feel strong. Much different to others who come just to say Hi, he came in with more of that caring mindset. He would remember your name as well so when he would walk in and say Hi to check up on you it really lit up your day

One time I was in for treatment, he had a signed ball for me. Literally waited about 40 minutes for me to get out to give me the ball.

Absolute legend. Honestly brings a bit of a tear to my eye that he isnt here anymore and I guess the impact he had on me too

Last edited:
Worked for Dennis Banks in the early 2000's - a very approachable, down to earth bloke, who took the time to get to know everyone who worked for him. Came across as very genuine.

Did some building work for Fitzroy/Richmond player Peter Burke, a couple of years ago - you will not find a nicer person.

Brownless is a genuinely nice bloke as has been mentioned. Fev too, I've only met once but a mate used to chef at his restaurant and only had good things to say. Luke Ball of the St Kilda crop, Hayes too, met a bunch of them in their heyday out in St Kilda and those two stood out. Fisher and Gardiner were high af lol.
I know an ex-Saints player from around that period who said that easily the best three blokes at the club were Hayes, Ball and Stevie Milne.

As others have said Bill Brownless is a terrific guy. Did an event at my golf club and stayed around afterwards to talk with everyone for ages :thumbsu:

I know an ex-Saints player from around that period who said that easily the best three blokes at the club were Hayes, Ball and Stevie Milne.

As others have said Bill Brownless is a terrific guy. Did an event at my golf club and stayed around afterwards to talk with everyone for ages :thumbsu:
Played cricket against Stephen Milne years ago and came across as a flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back