Preview Round 5, 2024: Suns v Hawks, 7:30pm Sat 13th April, People First Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No change.

ROUND 5 TEAM
Hawthorn v Gold Coast
Sunday 13 April
People First Stadium, 7.30pm

B:
Massimo D'Ambrosio, Sam Frost, James Sicily
HB: Josh Weddle, Jarman Impey, Blake Hardwick
C: Karl Amon, Jai Newcombe, Conor Nash
HF: Connor Macdonald, Cam Mackenzie, Henry Hustwaite
F: Jack Ginnivan, Mabior Chol, Finn Maginness
R: Lloyd Meek, James Worpel, Dylan Moore

INT: Jack Scimshaw, Josh Ward, Sam Butler, Max Ramsden, Seamus Mitchell

Emer: Ned Reeves, Harry Morrison, Jai Serong

And the most pertinent question- Dimma named half back!

Last edited:

We do name the most random assortment of players at CHF.

I wonder if Hardwick is wondering how he will combat the colossus that is Cam Mackenzie on our forward line?

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

IMG_0175.jpeg

Happy with that. Would have liked Serong to get a game but as mentioned, without box hill playing it's harder to call up someone.

Wish the AFL and VFL would do better at coordinating fixtures so you don't have half the squad not playing competitive games during the season. Very frustrating.
Yep no rhyme or reason to their decisions, like no MCG game this weekend?!
Is the ground injured Or just being managed. :rolleyes:

Rolled an ankle!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting with no changes.

Cupboard must be pretty bare after a 0-4 start

0-4 and for the second time so far this season we go into a game with the same squad.

That doesn’t make any sense at all.

Even in our heyday we would make changes to the team to keep players honest and provide opportunity to prove their worth - keep their spot so to speak.

Change of change sake, when you have players who need to be tested at the highest level, who have shown enough to be drafted, who have trained for 5 months - when you haven’t won a game - absolutely change for change sake makes complete sense.

We are ordinary - a long way off finals, let’s be honest, play them this year - give them games - Serong as an example should be in the team, for the next 3 weeks, see what he has.

Selection during rebuild is critical to see what we have, what we don’t have and what players have got it.

Whether Box Hill played is irrelevant, the coaches know the talent - they need to be tested at the highest level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

0-4 and for the second time so far this season we go into a game with the same squad.

Even in our heyday we would make changes to the team to keep players honest and provide opportunity to prove their worth - keep their spot so to speak.

Change of change sake, when you have players who need to be tested at the highest level, who have shown enough to be drafted, who have trained for 5 months - when you haven’t won a game - absolutely change for change sake makes complete sense.

We are ordinary - a long way off finals, let’s be honest, play them this year - give them games - Serong as an example should be in the team, for the next 3 weeks, see what he has.

Selection during rebuild is critical to see what we have, what we don’t have and what players have got it.

Whether Box Hill played is irrelevant, the coaches know the talent - they need to be tested at the highest level.

Good coaches will give players a block of games. Ie Mitchell would have said to Hustwaite, “great job in the pre season and VFL, I’m going to give a few games to see what you can do”. Judge him on 3 games, not just one.

Good coaches will give players a block of games. Ie Mitchell would have said to Hustwaite, “great job in the pre season and VFL, I’m going to give a few games to see what you can do”. Judge him on 3 games, not just one.

Hard to judge the likes of Hustwaite and Butler if they spend games as sub, and when they're not sub they're getting subbed out. But I understand your broader point.

You don't have to make changes for the sake of changes, our second half last week was much improved. You reward that by giving that group a chance to replicate it, if they fall short of expectations THEN you make changes.

Also the idea of 'we are rebuilding so all kids must play' is stupid.

We have so much inexperience in this team already, they need to be surrounded by leaders.

And the most pertinent question- Dimma named half back!
These days I take announced line-ups with a grain of salt. Amon for example has been named on a wing like he has a few times this year but to date he's prominently played down back. Even Sicily was named on a wing last week.

After they've penciled players which have long established positions I think they just start throwing darts blind-folded.

I thought Mitchell came out earlier this year saying that selection will be on merit / form.

I thought Mitchell came out earlier this year saying that selection will be on merit / form.
It probably will be, but you can't really determine a players form off a single game. If it was strictly 100% selection on form every game judged separately, Newcombe would have been dropped after round 1.

If you want to look at the effects of dropping and elevating players on a game by game basis, have a look at the Dogs. One of the best lists in the competition while simultaneously being one of the most inconsistent teams in the competition.

It probably will be, but you can't really determine a players form off a single game. If it was strictly 100% selection on form every game judged separately, Newcombe would have been dropped after round 1.

If you want to look at the effects of dropping and elevating players on a game by game basis, have a look at the Dogs. One of the best lists in the competition while simultaneously being one of the most inconsistent teams in the competition.
Ridiculous comment. Jai was no where near our worst player round one.
Dogs are also doing quite well and I expect them to feature in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back