AFLW Round 5 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 24th - Sun 29th, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tam Smith got a 3 week suspension. Good on the Geelong cheersquad in the commentary box for making sure it happens.
No head high contact (even whiplash didn't have incidental contact), wasn't off the ball (despite kelli insisting it was)

Absolute joke

3 weeks in a 10 week competition is brutal, that is like 7 weeks in the mens game.

But even then, the act was not worth even a week. It was a football act, there was no alternative action, and there was no head contact.

I am not 100% sure, i played it slowly and whilst she didn't hit her high with the shoulder it seems there was contact with their heads, but I can't be certain. The Geelong player was concussed, I am not sure if you can get concussed from a clash of shoulders.

I'm not sure if they have changed tribunal decisions recently but I remember after much pearl clutching by journos after Lyndsey Thomas got off after an accidental head contact when bumping someone they determined that accidental head contact as a consequence of a bumping action was no longer a defense. But they flip flop so much I have no idea what the current interpretation is.

If the contact was accidental head contact then it wouldn't hurt the Hawks challenging the report, not sure if it will make a difference though.

I imagine AFLW games will be played at PRO in the future on the same day as AFL games at the MCG (as we know the season will start earlier).

So that might be a bit of a regularly occurring disaster for people with special mobility needs until the 260-space carpark is built.
This was a morning event, if there was a game on at the G the same day as one at PRO the players would get in far earlier than the crowd. Unless the PRO game was a night game which is currently not possible.

This was a morning event, if there was a game on at the G the same day as one at PRO the players would get in far earlier than the crowd.
Yeah the AFLW players would get a spot, and nothing would be left over for the disabled folks attending the G. Until the new car park is built...

I'd say the chances of that Unley Oval crowd last week eventually being reported as a low-3k figure are good.
I actually don't care about the actual number, but to still have a TBA after 7 days is a bit weird. That's just from austadiums so the figure could be out there somewhere.

Happened quite a lot last year, including at Unley but also Manuka among others. And also places like Cairns where the initial number reported was just flat out wrong (low) by 1000+ people.

Been much better this year by comparison... but yeah idk why it should ever be difficult to announce the figure (the right figure) on the day.

Yeah the AFLW players would get a spot, and nothing would be left over for the disabled folks attending the G. Until the new car park is built...
Could they not just reallocate more existing spots to disabled people? As pointed out it's perfectly well accessible for others.

Could they not just reallocate more existing spots to disabled people? As pointed out it's perfectly well accessible for others.
That's what they're going to do.

The whole place is a death trap atm, from the tiny carpark to the asbestos-ridden grandstand to the insufficient space between boundary line and fence to the inability for people (and vehicles) to circulate around the ground.

Can't wait for the redevelopment to get done, so too the AFL who are opening themselves up to all kinds of lawsuits by allowing games to be played there in the meantime.

Crowds are based on ticket master supplying the information. Clubs and league aren't requesting it
Yes that is one theory we can rule out using common sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what they're going to do.

The whole place is a death trap atm, from the tiny carpark to the asbestos-ridden grandstand to the insufficient space between boundary line and fence to the inability for people (and vehicles) to circulate around the ground.

Can't wait for the redevelopment to get done, so too the AFL who are opening themselves up to all kinds of lawsuits by allowing games to be played there in the meantime.
My dad and I were there for a VFL game a few years ago. We were lucky enough to be given a parking space that had been allocated to the club but wasn't needed by players or staff on the day. Unfortunately there was only one gate open which forced us to walk around half the ground to get in, and with my dad's mobility issues that was a long process. Hopefully they'll have a second gate open near the grandstand side after the redevelopment.

Crowds are based on ticket master supplying the information. Clubs and league aren't requesting it
I’m only finding it from austadiums, that’s the only resource I have. If the league isn’t requesting the crowd sizes then where do they get their metrics from to determine expansion of the league.

My dad and I were there for a VFL game a few years ago. We were lucky enough to be given a parking space that had been allocated to the club but wasn't needed by players or staff on the day. Unfortunately there was only one gate open which forced us to walk around half the ground to get in, and with my dad's mobility issues that was a long process. Hopefully they'll have a second gate open near the grandstand side after the redevelopment.
Yep nowhere near good enough.

The new car park will have a lift situated pretty close to where the atrium and main entry will be:
pro28092024.jpg

The AFL don't want it to expand - this is the feeling the players have and not my own
This is pretty obvious.

But it has nothing to do with your ludicrous claim that the AFL aren't tracking attendance figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 5 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 24th - Sun 29th, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back