AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Vescio been absolutely terrible today. Anyone know if they are injured? Not pushing back to defend when going against the wind, not getting to contests, just sitting 5-15m off packs etc.

Ch7 commentator re: heat during Brisbane v Nth Melb...

"Up there in Brisbane"......"Down here in Melbourne".

Hope your TV monitors blow up in that Ch7 booth.

Skepper is the best kick in the league.
Change my mind

Not seeing a lot of this Hawks 'run-and-gun' we heard so much about in the pre-season

Don't know what it looked like on TV. In person it was evident though.

You won't see it in full force at Frankston though (it's too narrow)

Vescio been absolutely terrible today. Anyone know if they are injured? Not pushing back to defend when going against the wind, not getting to contests, just sitting 5-15m off packs etc.
Vescio's wasting her talents staying at Carlton, she needs to look elsewhere.

Interesting how the narrative is still about Vescio being wasted by Carlton, rather than the money Carlton have wasted on an underperforming veteran for several years now. Mo Hope never got that luxury, and still gets brought up as the dud-of-all-duds default example.

Since turning 29
Hope: 20 games, 23 goals, 2.4 ave marks, 6.4 ave disposals
Vescio: 20 games, 11 goals, 1.8 ave marks, 8.1 ave disposals

And ftr, Brennan: 27 games, 35 goals, 3.1 ave marks, 11.2 ave disposals

As I am someone who follows the clubs on field aspect of AFLW but doesn’t really follow the off field side, is there a reason GWS in particular cop shit for their handling?
They've been strangely singled out for poor performance at times, while better resourced clubs seem to get less flack for similar (or much worse) results. All-time they have a 38% win ratio, compared to Geelong's 39% and West Coast's 20%.

They also get criticised for things largely out of their control, like the NSW talent pool, getting an AFLW licence before the Swans, not playing enough games in western Sydney, and of course the Haneen Zreika stuff.

Another thing that stands out in the memory actually relates back to the Irish contingent--Brid Stack putting her head over the ball in a practice match in a fashion no different to how Joel Selwood or Ebony Marinoff would. But she got injured, and supposedly it was the Giants' fault because she was an inexperienced Gaelic convert.

Great call
This thread is testament to my being right 51% of the time, and nobody can take that away from me!

Points Per Match - Round 1
2017 (8 teams): 52
2018 (8 teams): 61
2019 (10 teams): 64
2020 (14 teams): 50
2021 (14 teams): 77
22S6 (14 teams): 61
22S7 (18 teams): 68
2023 (18 teams): 78
2024 (18 teams): 88

% of Points by Half - 2024 R1
1st: 45
2nd: 55

% of Points by Quarter - 2024 R1
1st: 22
2nd: 23
3rd: 25
4th: 30

Ticket prices (for those not smart enough to buy a membership!) have gone up by 50% since last year, but the short match length stays the same.

An extra 3 minutes per quarter is all it would take to provide another significant (but crucially nigh on exponential) boost to the already increasing scoring rate, given the way matches open up the longer they go.

Don't think I'm asking for too much. But for some reason match length never gets talked about in the media, unlike the eternal focus on season length. It's so backwards.

Points Per Match - Round 1
2017 (8 teams): 52
2018 (8 teams): 61
2019 (10 teams): 64
2020 (14 teams): 50
2021 (14 teams): 77
22S6 (14 teams): 61
22S7 (18 teams): 68
2023 (18 teams): 78
2024 (18 teams): 88

% of Points by Half - 2024 R1
1st: 45
2nd: 55

% of Points by Quarter - 2024 R1
1st: 22
2nd: 23
3rd: 25
4th: 30

Ticket prices (for those not smart enough to buy a membership!) have gone up by 50% since last year, but the short match length stays the same.

An extra 3 minutes per quarter is all it would take to provide another significant (but crucially nigh on exponential) boost to the already increasing scoring rate, given the way matches open up the longer they go.

Don't think I'm asking for too much. But for some reason match length never gets talked about in the media, unlike the eternal focus on season length. It's so backwards.

Unfortunately, match length is where it is to fit into the 2 hour TV window

Unfortunately, match length is where it is to fit into the 2 hour TV window
Yeah, currently this is the situation:

Average men's game is 2h 30m siren to siren, typically presented as a 3hr or 3.5hr TV product.

Average women's game is 1h 50m siren to siren, typically presented as a 2hr TV product.

Hmmm I wonder if there exists a neat length AFLW can expand to, without blowing out to AFL duration...

Btw yesterday's BL-NM game finished well after the scheduled 5pm due to longer heat-related breaks. Somehow Ch7 and Foxtel survived.

Yeah, currently this is the situation:

Average men's game is 2h 30m siren to siren, typically presented as a 3hr or 3.5hr TV product.

Average women's game is 1h 50m siren to siren, typically presented as a 2hr TV product.

Hmmm I wonder if there exists a neat length AFLW can expand to, without blowing out to AFL duration...

Btw yesterday's BL-NM game finished well after the scheduled 5pm due to longer heat-related breaks. Somehow Ch7 and Foxtel survived.
Ideally you would think they would go to 20 minute quarters, with time on for the last 2.5mins.
It would rely on a 2.5hr window rather than 2 hour though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally you would think they would go to 20 minute quarters, with time on for the last 2.5mins.
It would rely on a 2.5hr window rather than 2 hour though
Unfortunately, this is going to be a TV exec decision, and not an AFL decision.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately, this is going to be a TV exec decision, and not an AFL decision.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed. C7 is absolutely the worst thing possible for Aussie rules. It's all about TV, not the game. I understand it's a business for them, but eventually they will kill the product.

We really need channel 10/cbs to sort their crap out. Best coverage the sport ever had. Did an amazing job of the w/bbl too.
Best broadcasters, just no financial awareness

We really need channel 10/cbs to sort their crap out. Best coverage the sport ever had. Did an amazing job of the w/bbl too.
Best broadcasters, just no financial awareness
Never more apparent than when that organisation, which has gone all in on being the home of soccer, allowed Channel 7 to buy last year's Women's World Cup broadcast rights for less than $5 million.

Therein lies the absurdity of obsessing about ratings. TV executives are idiots who spend their time anonymously trolling female athletes on social media. They are simply not interested in paying fair market value for women's sport, even if it's likely to pull 8 million viewers.

Round 1 Captaincy Ratings
(not gonna do this every week, probably not again 'til seasons end, but worth an early season check-in)

Marinoff 8/10 No surprises here.

Allan 5/10

Koenen 1.5/10 Could've been mistaken for the player who was hospitalised during the week after a car accident and was stupidly rushed back to play. The famous push-them-till-they-break Wuetschner welfare policy still alive and well.

Peterson 2.5/10 Pretty quiet game, and let Gilroy off the leash at a stoppage 30m out.

Davey N/A

Toogood N/A

Cain 2/10 Some of her defensive efforts were good.

Stannett N/A

McDonald 1/10 Zero tackles, six touches. I think she was out there. The wrong McDonald is captain, and I'll just leave it there.

Bohanna 2/10 Zero tackles and a bunch of easy misses while the team gets spanked. But she was visible, unlike vice-captain Dupuy.

Beeson 6/10 Solid game, knocked down a point for the one glaring blip which I mentioned at the time.

Bates 7/10 Showed grunt and class on what is no doubt a difficult day on the calendar for her.

Hore 10/10 Probably never gonna change my mind about the (un)toughness and selfishness claims I've made, but it doesn't really matter if you go 23 and 3 in a winning team.

Kearney 9/9

Cuthbertson 4/10

Brennan 3/10 Not much different to Bohanna's game, but the misses were anomalies and not quite as bad, and she worked harder off the ball.

Priest 4/10 3 touches, 4 tackles. Hard to be too critical of a defender when the team is so dominant.

Molloy 7/10 Not a huge game but delivered at key times to help settle any potential R1 nerves.

McEvoy 9/10 Super clean performance, and looking like she's got herself into career-best nick.

Berry 2/10 10 touches and no influence in a 63-point drubbing. And only half the blame, at most, goes to her. At this point, it just looks like the coach made a change to serve her own ego. Strong doubts Hyett knows what she's doing.

Swanson N/A

Never more apparent than when that organisation, which has gone all in on being the home of soccer, allowed Channel 7 to buy last year's Women's World Cup broadcast rights for less than $5 million.

Therein lies the absurdity of obsessing about ratings. TV executives are idiots who spend their time anonymously trolling female athletes on social media. They are simply not interested in paying fair market value for women's sport, even if it's likely to pull 8 million viewers.
It will take a very brave business person to do the grunt work on women's sport. Take the hits but not just throw them into poor timeslots as an afterthought.

Given time and exposure, people will come around.

As a small example - me.

I couldn't have given two hoots about women's footy. Not in a exist way, I just had no skin in the game.
Hawks come in and I gave it a go. I now probably spend more on the women's team than I do the men's each year.
Probably looking at a good 10-15 years of dedicated investment, not just virtue signalling (which is what networks currently are doing) for it to actually grow

Round 1 Captaincy Ratings
(not gonna do this every week, probably not again 'til seasons end, but worth an early season check-in)

Marinoff 8/10 No surprises here.

Allan 5/10

Koenen 1.5/10 Could've been mistaken for the player who was hospitalised during the week after a car accident and was stupidly rushed back to play. The famous push-them-till-they-break Wuetschner welfare policy still alive and well.

Peterson 2.5/10 Pretty quiet game, and let Gilroy off the leash at a stoppage 30m out.

Davey N/A

Toogood N/A

Cain 2/10 Some of her defensive efforts were good.

Stannett N/A

McDonald 1/10 Zero tackles, six touches. I think she was out there. The wrong McDonald is captain, and I'll just leave it there.

Bohanna 2/10 Zero tackles and a bunch of easy misses while the team gets spanked. But she was visible, unlike vice-captain Dupuy.

Beeson 6/10 Solid game, knocked down a point for the one glaring blip which I mentioned at the time.

Bates 7/10 Showed grunt and class on what is no doubt a difficult day on the calendar for her.

Hore 10/10 Probably never gonna change my mind about the (un)toughness and selfishness claims I've made, but it doesn't really matter if you go 23 and 3 in a winning team.

Kearney 9/9

Cuthbertson 4/10

Brennan 3/10 Not much different to Bohanna's game, but the misses were anomalies and not quite as bad, and she worked harder off the ball.

Priest 4/10 3 touches, 4 tackles. Hard to be too critical of a defender when the team is so dominant.

Molloy 7/10 Not a huge game but delivered at key times to help settle any potential R1 nerves.

McEvoy 9/10 Super clean performance, and looking like she's got herself into career-best nick.

Berry 2/10 10 touches and no influence in a 63-point drubbing. And only half the blame, at most, goes to her. At this point, it just looks like the coach made a change to serve her own ego. Strong doubts Hyett knows what she's doing.

Swanson N/A
Why does Kearney get 9/9 and not 10/10?

It will take a very brave business person to do the grunt work on women's sport. Take the hits but not just throw them into poor timeslots as an afterthought.

Given time and exposure, people will come around.
It's always going to take more than private enterprise though. Better public policy has to be the starting point.

For the past few months, including today, I've read/heard a lot of comments along the lines of the WNBA now being worthy of exposure and investment because of Caitlin Clark. What usually gets omitted from that train of thought is how there wouldn't be a "Caitlin Clark" per se without Title IX, i.e. legislation which at least attempts to ensure the American college system doesn't ignore female athletes.

We need a similar initiative for professional sport in this country. For example: an organisation should meet crystal clear gender equality standards (such as number of teams/players/matches, length of matches, timeslot and coverage thresholds) before being eligible to receive taxpayer funding.

$386m from the federal and state governments has been given to AFL clubs just for new facilities (which are predominantly used by the full-time men's teams) in the last 5 years. This trend will continue, no doubt about it. So it's crazy to not properly leverage it for the advancement of women's sport, since that is what the money is supposed to be primarily for.

Why does Kearney get 9/9 and not 10/10?
Hmm good question... my notes from the game (I fill a 96-page exercise book per match) just have 9/9 next to the 8-time All-Australian's name. Maybe next year I'll be writing 10/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back