AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

A first quarter which certainly reflected last year's 16th and 18th finishing positions.

That said, Giants probably should be up by 4 goals. Gonna rue those misses from close range, if last night's theme continues on today.

Hmm after my pre-season thread about club captains, has to be said that whatever Beeson was doing just before HT will be hard to beat in the "Bad On-Field Leadership Stuff" stakes.

Insightful analysis of the Bulldogs: they look really small. Wouldn't be so bad if their best little ones in Wilcox and Fitzgerald were more involved, but just the 3 and 5 touches from them so far.

Hmm after my pre-season thread about club captains, has to be said that whatever Beeson was doing just before HT will be hard to beat in the "Bad On-Field Leadership Stuff" stakes.

Insightful analysis of the Bulldogs: they look really small. Wouldn't be so bad if their best little ones in Wilcox and Fitzgerald were more involved, but just the 3 and 5 touches from them so far.

Damn missed this , what happened?

Damn missed this , what happened?
Took her 30 seconds to line up for goal from outside 50, rather than doing the team-oriented hit-up a lead. And predictably the ill-advised shot (into the wind) was a 25m sack.

But sheesh, hasn't proved to matter in the slightest. Nothing but smooth sailing for GWS since.

Started out like a cellar dweller clash, finishes up more so reflecting my projections for either team this year (GWS 10th-12th, WB 15th-17th). Pauga looking as though she's gonna be the more underrated value recruit for the Giants this year, understandably so due to O'Dowd's captivating debut... assuming both players came away with just minor injury issues.

Prized pick watch: Srhoj with 14 touches and a couple of notable physical moments, Weston-Turner just 1 disposal and 2 tackles. That's a tough look, gotta keep an eye on what Hyett does to get the kids involved.

Wtf Razor Ray strikes again. How is that deliberate rushed when there's 3 Bombers players around her and one rushes her just as she steps over the line. Piss off mate.

Yeh disastrous quarter for Essendon there in more ways than one, with some mild relief provided by the Original Raygun.

Gonna take a big effort by the Bombers for this game to just not spiral into a matter of how bad.

Saw the first half of the GWS and Dogs game and didn't think too much of it, although because of the gusty winds we are current experiencing in Canberra it a little understandable, so I was a little shocked to see the fulltime score, it must have been an excellent third quarter from GWS going with the wind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing better than seeing David Rodan smiling from ear to ear when someone kicks an absolute worldie. Unreal goal from Seth!

Stephanie Cain 7 touches for 90m gained, Brooke Walker 4 for 24. Compared to the other Essendon speedster Amber Clarke who was 4 for 135 before getting ko'd.

Hasn't been pretty stuff by Freo but they just need to hold on here and bank a bit of confidence before coming up against Adelaide next week. Antonio 1 disposal from 80% TOG though... a sad sight.

Two shmackings to start the day, didn't see that coming.

Aine Tighe is such a marvel at 32 after a bunch of knee ops. Definitely got that Staunton longevity potential. Even with the 2 missed games last year, 4th in Freo's B&F was outrageously low.

Real nice start by the Saints. When you have your heavies in Lambert and Wardlaw (Lamblaw? Wardbert?) come out at absolute full throttle, that is a powerful locomotive for the rest to climb aboard.

Up the other end, Bohanna hits the post from 15m out, set shot...

Barwick for the Suns is painfully bad. If she’s not throwing her arms up for a free kick she’s falling over, and her one kick she didn’t look at all even though she had time & space, just turned and kicked it inside 50 straight to a Saints player.

Real nice start by the Saints. When you have your heavies in Lambert and Wardlaw (Lamblaw? Wardbert?) come out at absolute full throttle, that is a powerful locomotive for the rest to climb aboard.

Up the other end, Bohanna hits the post from 15m out, set shot...

You’d have loved that shot from Bohanna there…

C'mon Saints bring it home.

I just say I was dubious when we brought in Wardlaw as I wasn't sure we'd have good enough service to suit her but boy has it been a masterstroke.

If not rampaging up front she inserts herself into the ruck and gets involved up the ground. Love to see it.

You’d have loved that shot from Bohanna there…
Ahh I've missed 10 minutes of play today, (first 10 mins of the 2nd half) but seems like I didn't miss any highlights at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back