Autopsy Round 2 vs Essendon @ Marvel Stadium. 26/03/23 - 2:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowell recorded 47 pressure acts which was clear most for the round
He was also the second highest pressure act player in the league last year.
I think we’d have to mention him when discussing pressure around the ball.

I’d suggest Touk probably pushes back into the defence better though.
Rowell is a gun. Parish is out of contract at year's end if you're interested.

Some doubts on Weidmann and tippa. Stringer would be permanently forward you would think looks way underdone.
Gee whiz. Essendon are running out of forward line soldiers in a fast fashion!

No guarantee Stringer will play AFL this week but even if he does it sounds like he'll be really underdone. Considering Weideman could miss, we may very well see 194cm Collins playing on 192cm Stringer in the goal square and I like that scenario more than Collins being required to defend a forward that plays more of a lead up style like Buddy did on Saturday night. Collins isn't particularly quick so his opponents can often find the necessary separation they need to get going. A restricted Stringer playing full forward that can't move as well as he would like is probably a good situation for Collins to use his body and spoiling skills to kill forward forays.

Essendon not having Tippa obviously helps us as well but Davey is the one that concerns me the most. Long feels like the right man for the job there. Not too concerned about their other forwards.

Yeah Hawthorn were awful, long may they be so. Most posters on the Essendon board are more interested in seeing how we go against more capable sides so this week's game is going to be better hopefully.
This is the most important thing to remember. The 2023 version of Hawthorn is a truly awful side (as you would expect from a team fully committed to a rebuild) and they are almost definitely heading for the spoon this year and maybe a few years beyond 2023. We certainly didn't get carried away when we beat North by 62 points in the middle of last season but being round 1 lends itself to false optimism because you have nothing else to compare the result to. Having said that, buying too much into a big win over the likely wooden spooners is always a bad idea.

Gee whiz. Essendon are running out of forward line soldiers in a fast fashion!

No guarantee Stringer will play AFL this week but even if he does it sounds like he'll be really underdone. Considering Weideman could miss, we may very well see 194cm Collins playing on 192cm Stringer in the goal square and I like that scenario more than Collins being required to defend a forward that plays more of a lead up style like Buddy did on Saturday night. Collins isn't particularly quick so his opponents can often find the necessary separation they need to get going. A restricted Stringer playing full forward that can't move as well as he would like is probably a good situation for Collins to use his body and spoiling skills to kill forward forays.

Essendon not having Tippa obviously helps us as well but Davey is the one that concerns me the most. Long feels like the right man for the job there. Not too concerned about their other forwards.

This is the most important thing to remember. The 2023 version of Hawthorn is a truly awful side (as you would expect from a team fully committed to a rebuild) and they are almost definitely heading for the spoon this year and maybe a few years beyond 2023. We certainly didn't get carried away when we beat North by 62 points in the middle of last season but being round 1 lends itself to false optimism because you have nothing else to compare the result to. Having said that, buying too much into a big win over the likely wooden spooners is always a bad idea.
Agree. Always happy to see improvements, happier to see them against the top sides.

I hope we bring in Voss ahead of Stringer. 194cm, kicked 4 in the VFL and is a beast. Maybe Zurhaar-like though still building to that intensity. Stringer takes a few games to warm up so I hope he does that in the VFL.

Pumped to see Powell back playing, so important for our team. Sounds like weller will play afl, atleast sub? So next week against the cats we could have weller, Powell, Humphrey, rosas from Rd 1 team with lemmens and Andrew available also. No player would want to be putting in a poor performance this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Constable not dropped * me dead. What is wrong with the match committee.
Constable gets one more chance with Powell returning through the VFL this week. A poor performance against Essendon and Powell goes straight in for Constable next week. Same goes for Macpherson if he has a bad game against the Bombers. Uwland seems a little safer but he'll also get dropped if he has an absolute stinker. Worth mentioning Lemmens will come into play again soon as well so the pressure is well and truly on Constable, Macpherson and Uwland to keep their spot in our starting 22. Let's see if they're up for the challenge.

Yes. It would not surprise me if Chol is dropped.
Chol out and Rosas/Sexton in seems likely based on the extended bench that's been named. I think I would prefer Rosas to play but I would understand a Sexton selection given he kicked 6 for the ressies last week. Either way, I think the one that isn't selected should probably be the sub just in case we're still potentially playing too tall in the forward line (even without Chol).

No Stringer named.
Finally something falls our way! Feeling a lot better about this game now and knowing Weller is back is helping me come to terms with last week. I think we're going to see a much, much better performance from the boys on Sunday.

As for the final bench, we can assume uwland is in, hoping rosas is in, think if luko plays wing and maybe rotate with weller then chol stays aand we maybe need one more midfield rotation so either fiorini, Blakely or hollands. Wouldn't mind seeing Blakely get the opportunity but probably will be fiorini. Uwland, rosas, chol, fiorini, sub- hollands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2 vs Essendon @ Marvel Stadium. 26/03/23 - 2:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back