Game Day Round 15 - Fremantle @ Optus Stadium - 23rd June 2024 - 4:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end, 20 points is where I saw it landing.

But geez we made it look really hard.

Seasons still on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've been Ben Ainsworth's biggest supporter but he's not a guy who wins you games off his own boot.He works hard and has a monster tank but what sort of money should we be prepared to pay to keep the guy who defines journeyman.He didnt renew in the bye window so he's obviously playing hardball.Don't know.Would love to keep him but at what cost?
Ellis 2.0

Thoughts from being at the game, most of what's already been said:

Flanders isn't a defender
Coaches asking too much from Humphrey
Touk covers the ground but turns it over or hands to an under pressure team mate
Effective tackles dont exist.

Really disappointed. Hoping those 4th quarter changes stick.

I don't get this Humphrey mid thing
He's played 30+ games and had more than 25 disposals twice (more than a year ago)
He had 4 disposals today with 50% GT
Ellis did twice as much with 28% GT
he's not taking the footy world by storm
Like Jed Walter he knows where the goals are but also like Jed Walter he has to realise he playing against men not boys now and needs some more tricks to make a regular impact

Bodhi Uwland played some games for Broadbeach seniors in the midfield when he was 17. In last years VFL GF Shaun Mannagh had 5 goals to half time. Bodhi tagged him in the second half and he got 1 goal in the last 5 minutes when the sunnys had it won. Maybe he could be used a little differently.

Thoughts from being at the game, most of what's already been said:

Flanders isn't a defender
Coaches asking too much from Humphrey
Touk covers the ground but turns it over or hands to an under pressure team mate
Effective tackles dont exist.

Really disappointed. Hoping those 4th quarter changes stick.
For those of us that remember Touk Mk1-he couldnt hit a barn door from 10m away by foot and turned the ball over again and again
The near unbelievable transformation into Touk Mk2-the Brownlow guy-pinpoint by foot, handpassing to advantage kicking goals
Oh how I liked Touk Mk2
I am NOT liking Touk Mk3 who appears to be a slightly older slower reworking of Touk Mk1 unfortunately

Hardwick is too stubborn for his own good sometimes. Everyone but him could see Flanders isn't a half back

I’m halfway through writing an email telling him exactly that! He needs to start hearing it from supporters. There’s been multiple games just like this.

Humphrey too should have been moved into the midfield instead of being subbed off. F$$king crazy decision.

Last edited:
I don't get this Humphrey mid thing
He's played 30+ games and had more than 25 disposals twice (more than a year ago)
He had 4 disposals today with 50% GT
Ellis did twice as much with 28% GT
he's not taking the footy world by storm
Like Jed Walter he knows where the goals are but also like Jed Walter he has to realise he playing against men not boys now and needs some more tricks to make a regular impact
Go watch the game where Humper played all mid against Melbourne last year. That's what he can do in the midfield.

Miller and co. in the middle are much closer to average on the road and it has cost them dearly. Miller’s overuse of blind handballs when he wins the ball in traffic is really wasteful and undoes his hard work. The Dockers’ hands around stoppage were elite while the Suns were turnover happy

Fundamentally we don’t look finals-capable. When the game calls for it intensity has to be there and we fail to bring it. It seems clear too that we just aren’t going to be able to move the ball from the backline against good teams all season unless we are gifted a cheap turnover. I can’t believe we are still handballing it to Andrew inside defensive 50, there are enough decent kicks back there for a functioning rebound game but they just haven’t got the hang of it after 15 rounds.

Nothing today suggests we can challenge the Pies next week and that leaves us needing 6 wins from 8 games to make finals. Can we please just stay competitive and in the fight till the last round even if we finish 11th. I don’t want to watch another late season Suns’ game where we look like we didn’t even get off the plane till Hardwick’s tenure is over. Please and thank you.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com...w-that-away-record-doesnt-look-like-changing/

Fladers should never play in defence. No dare, no risk, slows ball down and still turns it over. Stubborn Dimma.
Sam does not have any penetration by foot or by running.Not sure why he has been remade as a defender other than obvious desperation due to the cupboard being bare.Weller back will help but its hard to believe he's going to be the same player as he was pre-injury.Can only hope our form stays reasonable so we can entice Rioli North

Fladers should never play in defence. No dare, no risk, slows ball down and still turns it over. Stubborn Dimma.
He is the Bowes (Dew) of Dimma’s reign. Remember when he was a defender? Did the same chip kicks for no impact.

But Flanders could genuinely change our midfield dynamic if he was used there. Humphrey there in bursts, Flanders consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is the Bowes (Dew) of Dimma’s reign. Remember when he was a defender? Did the same chip kicks for no impact.

But Flanders could genuinely change our midfield dynamic if he was used there. Humphrey there in bursts, Flanders consistently.
And yet Dimma does exactly what Dew did regarding midfield by playing mostly Miller, Anderson, Rowell.

Interestingly, Bowes played as HB against Cats (was very poor) and was savaged by Cats fans, haha.

I feel the same way about gutless turds that sign up a new user name just to go troll
Thank God your nan's dead because she'd die from embarassment having a dick like you as a grandkid

A new user name in 2019. Long time follower, first time poster. Sandytoes, we want the same thing for this club to be successful & I love your passion but I won’t be a happy clapper.

In the end, 20 points is where I saw it landing.

But geez we made it look really hard.

Seasons still on.

Let’s be honest, we were never in this after the first quarter. We made it respectable but yeah…

SUNS STARS GO MISSING AWAY FROM HOME

Gold Coast’s woes away from home are well-known. The Suns have only managed wins at Carrara and their home games at Marrara Oval in Darwin – losing all six away matches this season (not including their Gather Round loss in Adelaide).

Against Fremantle, the Suns were red-hot in the opening minutes but fell away drastically in worrying signs for coach Damien Hardwick.

The visitors coughed up nine of 11 clearances from midway through the first term as “red flags” started to show, according to Fox Footy’s Will Schofield.

Touk Miller, Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell found themselves without a clearance in the 45 minutes before half time.

“That’s their big three – Miller, Anderson and Rowell,” Schofield said.

“They need more than a lift. You can’t have zero clearances between your three best clearances players. He’s started on the bench because of it, Noah Anderson.”

Statistics show away from home Miller is -21% for disposals, -16% in clearances and -30% in score involvements in 2024.

Anderson’s stats are just as alarming as he sits at -23%, -43% and -49% for those same statistics respectively.

Rowell, meantime, sits -24% for disposals, -45% for clearances and -52% for score involvements.

Against Fremantle, Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy said there was “a lot of room for improvement” in the Suns midfield.

“The goals and scores from clearances is just as bad – 3.5 to nothing. A big fat zero to the Gold Coast,” he said at half time.

“They are getting slaughtered at centre clearances since they got the first five or six early.”

Schofield lamented Gold Coast’s inability to transition the football – sitting at just 22% for scores per inside 50 at the main break.

And he said the inability to spark themselves away from home was a worry.

“I haven’t seen enough Suns sprinting there and being excited about a goal,” he said.

“It might sound strange but when your form isn’t there and you haven’t started the way you want to … you need to create your own energy.

“I know players are tired… but those things do matter. And they can change the way things are going. Especially celebrating with your own teammates.

“You see it sometimes with young teams. They don’t know how to get outside themselves. That’s how you do it – celebrate, get around your mates. Start forgetting where you are.”

Another thought on Touk: I think he has it in him to be that elite Brownlow favourite, but maybe the captaincy isn't for him, mine he just needs to focus on his footy. We've seen him drastically improve this since he began, no reason he can't again.

I'm still a believer even though today was painful to watch

031dc5088ff0fcac11c3872352132b71.jpg

2a78d7ef4a0e4adfc959587ad8a721be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back