Autopsy Round 18: Adelaide Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.afl.com.au/video/900095 What the hell have we done to this kid. Should be well on the way to developing into a superstar mid/forward (not the other way around). Instead he’s absolutely fallen off a cliff. I’m genuinely baffled. Actually heart breaking to be honest.
It's absolutely gut wrenching B&B.

In your words heart breaking.

Mitch was one guy that I was looking foward to watching this season with huge anticipation after his form last year.

And.......

After watching him take those 2 "hangers" in the 150th game against the Bombers and then backing it up with THAT game against the Suns the following week.....I thought the sky was the limit.

I still do.

I thought..."Daicos who"

And THAT goal on the run in the link you posted.....I've watched that about 100 times....lol.

We've seen what he can do.....you just don't lose your ability....you lose your confidence or whatever else for a host of reasons.

I'm extremely confident that we'll see him back to his best in 2025.

It was a shocker STI........I reckon I've seen about 500 crap Saints games over my journey.

You get used to it......

:) :) :)
The game was absolute rubbish live. After a while in the 2nd half I just lost interest and it was like watching a group of disinterested players jog around without any real purpose.
We were beaten because we simply didn’t want it.

It's looking alright now though, isn't it? Obvs, no management mistakes ever happen in your workplace, but in others the judgement is usually based he response and outcome.

What's Mitch going to do? Nobody has a greater influence over his performance than him.

What are you talking about? Seriously

I don't think Mitch is being managed well.

I want to see him train as a midfielder. It should have happened ages ago. If that's in the 2's... so be it, but I don't believe it needed to come to that, although who knows really.

Your initial post implies it's 100% on Mitch. You used Pou going back as an example. I brought up the fact Ross admitted he didn't manage Pou well. You reply with "well don't management mistakes happen where you work". Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Yeah, no aerial presence but not quick either.
Will be interesting to see how he's developed. I'm guessing plenty more laps next preseason.
Ball in hand and he's a beauty.

I see him turning out to be a Matt Suckling kind of player. Which I’d happily take.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The game was absolute rubbish live. After a while in the 2nd half I just lost interest and it was like watching a group of disinterested players jog around without any real purpose.
We were beaten because we simply didn’t want it.
Exactly how I felt at home. Come half time I don’t even really feel like watching it but I persisted.
Slept really well last night.

I want to see him train as a midfielder. It should have happened ages ago. If that's in the 2's... so be it, but I don't believe it needed to come to that, although who knows really.

Your initial post implies it's 100% on Mitch. You used Pou going back as an example. I brought up the fact Ross admitted he didn't manage Pou well. You reply with "well don't management mistakes happen when you work". Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense.
I think there are a few players who are not on the same page as Lyon

Your initial post implies it's 100% on Mitch. You used Pou going back as an example. I brought up the fact Ross admitted he didn't manage Pou well. You reply with "well don't management mistakes happen when you work". Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense.
he has been training as a midfielder from what ive heard. he just isnt quite there yet with his inside ball winning ability

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you reckon is most responsible for sorting out the Phillipou form issue? Phillipou or Lyon?
I can help you out, it's the player.

The coaching team can give all the best advice, any number of hard conversations but the improvement can only be brought about by the player.

If his form is a travesty, then most of the responsibility for that lies with him.

Popping him in the middle doesn't fix it.

he has been training as a midfielder from what ive heard. he just isnt quite there yet with his inside ball winning ability

Looks a fair bit heavier this year, so just missing that bit of agility. Maybe better over summer to slip down and do more running. Still think he will be very good

Correct, he does train in the midfield on occasions, however his overtraining in pre season has really contributed in his lack of going forward this year.

He just can't get near it. The training staff recognised what he was doing and put him on light training for over a month to get him back in playing shape but it hasn't worked.

I am hoping they mothball him for the season, put him in the VFL like Pou, and then he listens to the trainers and sticks rigidly to his training schedule and not overdo it again.

In his current form he would be totally counter productive in the mids, but thats where he should be aiming for in the future seasons.

Season is shot, King is out, Membrey is at the end and Matty will be delisted. Give him a game so he can show his kids in 10 years, there's no harm.
Did you watch last weeks post-game press conference? Ross isn't interested in throwing the remaining games away.

We aren't going to give a pity game to someone who struggles to touch the ball in the VFL most weeks.

I have read in here a couple of times that coaches think Owens lacks midfield craft. Particularly around stoppages. They are training him, but it’s obviously slow going.

So where do you play him? Forward is hard when you’re out of form. Plenty of work required to develop him further. He’ll get there. Works hard and very determined.

I was so uninspired watching that game that I am going to forget it as soon as I can. Even refrained from making more than 1 comment in the game day thread.

Our first quarter was good, but we didn’t maximise our chances. And they got a couple of good snaps. After that as the weather worsened we couldn’t take a trick. Pou very good again. Clark very involved. Just a terrible slog.

Come on the draft!

I noticed Michito is still a major part of the round-the-ground-rucking and his strength and physique provide a contest when Marshall can’t be there.

Nobody figures he wants to be a ruck, but if forced to state where he contributes, it is that ‘bulldozer’ type thing he does, and with a good leap and deft hands, he looks pretty effective as far as undersized rucks can be.

So an old fashioned ruck rover? Don’t think so, as pretty much everyone bar one or two is a ‘follower’ this century.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/900095 What the hell have we done to this kid. Should be well on the way to developing into a superstar mid/forward (not the other way around). Instead he’s absolutely fallen off a cliff. I’m genuinely baffled. Actually heart breaking to be honest.

Watching that, he seems to have lost some pace this season.

I’m questioning how often we train in those conditions. We looked totally out of place. Pou trying to bounce, Henry could not pick the ball up, handball chains with a wet ball. All things that should be totally off the books on a wet day.

As Ross said they played the conditions better but do we ever practice those conditions and to be honest do we really want to given we play most of our games under the roof.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18: Adelaide Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back