AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he actually have the tank ? There has only ever been one KPF who has been a real success on the wing and that is Richo .
He may be better as a defender which my not be a bad thing as Reid can not get on the park .

Didn’t Nick Reiwoldt play his last season or two on a wing?

Mason Wood has also been playing quite well on a wing for the Saints since he went there.

Didn’t Nick Reiwoldt play his last season or two on a wing?

Mason Wood has also been playing quite well on a wing for the Saints since he went there.
Wood was never really a key forward. Nick did a bit but he was also a next level player. 😎

Also I'm still pissed off about the pathetic goober I was sat next to.
Bad energy all night then after the Blues kicked away in the 4th started hanging over the edge filming himself flipping off people leaving on the level below zooming in on their faces and yelling out obscenities at them. Must've felt like a real big guy cos his team beat their team.

I’m really not sure what game people were watching last night

It was disappointing to lose, yes. I hard Carlton with a passion. But our effort was there. And pretty consistent across 4 quarters. Carlton had a few patches where they torched us, but we seemed to be winning the arm wrestle for 2/3-3/4 of the game.

Obviously we missed some good chances to make the game close. I felt that Carlton probably had another gear to go to, but they never needed to as we never made it close enough.

Happy with the effort. Disappointed with the execution. But think our guys will learn from that. A few tweaks of personnel and I’m confident we can rack up enough wins after the bye to make the finals.

Don’t think many of us expected to play finals this year, so we need to make sure we don’t get ahead of ourselves, nor get too down

At the end of the day, 3 of our 4 losses will be against the other top 4 sides.

Whilst hopeful whatever lesson you think there is to be learned, is clearly not sinking in.

We have had several games this year that we continually show we simply cannot score when we have momentum. Adelaide, west coast, north, Gold Coast, Richmond and now Carlton.

Our forward line is a complete and utter disaster. Winning the inside 50’s by 20 and losing by 30 points is a complete shit show. It’s defcon 6 alarms bells and has been since we played west coast in Perth.

Essendon had 2 set shots 35m in front in the first 5 minutes to build some momentum and as usual completely bottle it.

You can’t teach what we lack. Which is basic composure.

Does he actually have the tank ? There has only ever been one KPF who has been a real success on the wing and that is Richo .
He may be better as a defender which my not be a bad thing as Reid can not get on the park .
He definitely has the tank, that was one of his strengths spoken about in his draft year, his ability to run his oppenents ragged.

I don't mind the thought of him back either, they will have to come up with something because I don't think they can fit all the talls we have in the forward line at the same time.

He definitely has the tank, that was one of his strengths spoken about in his draft year, his ability to run his oppenents ragged.

I don't mind the thought of him back either, they will have to come up with something because I don't think they can fit all the talls we have in the forward line at the same time.
I personally am not sure he has that endurance.

Jones isn’t really a KPF either though is he? More an athletic 3rd tall than true CHF at this stage.
He is a KPF . He just can not mark . If he could grab even 40% of the chances that come his way we would be raving about how good a KPF he is.

I personally am not sure he has that endurance.
He's still running as hard towards the end of games making contests on a wing or running players down and lets face it Kelly gives us nothing in that wing role ?

They will have to get a little creative as you'd like to see both Caddy and Jones playing, they are the future ?

He's still running as hard towards the end of games making contests on a wing or running players down and lets face it Kelly gives us nothing in that wing role ?

They will have to get a little creative as you'd like to see both Caddy and Jones playing, they are the future ?
If Caddy and Jones play the Stringer is the odd one out and there are two rucks or a ruck and Wright.
Like I said. The only mobile key forwards to be able to adapt to the wing have been super stats .
Apart from if he does or does not have the tank you also need the game to go with it . Not like he has ever shown a lot of regular ground level / link play and as a wing he still needs to mark.

If Caddy and Jones play the Stringer is the odd one out and there are two rucks or a ruck and Wright.
Like I said. The only mobile key forwards to be able to adapt to the wing have been super stats .
Apart from if he does or does not have the tank you also need the game to go with it . Not like he has ever shown a lot of regular ground level / link play and as a wing he still needs to mark.

As a wing you’re not fighting a KPD for marks, which seems to be where Jones mostly struggles.

I’m not arguing for or against the move, but his contested marking isn’t great whereas his hands on a lead or coming across are decent. True CHF’s would typically be decent contested marks eg a Curnow.

He is a KPF . He just can not mark . If he could grab even 40% of the chances that come his way we would be raving about how good a KPF he is.
There was a game earlier in the year where he took 10 marks. Needs to roam in space to get most out of him IMO.

He is averaging 4.5 marks a game. Goldy is at 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a game earlier in the year where he took 10 marks. Needs to roam in space to get most out of him IMO.

He is averaging 4.5 marks a game. Goldy is at 2.
Not a great comparison. Only the elite rucks average a lot of marks 😎

As a wing you’re not fighting a KPD for marks, which seems to be where Jones mostly struggles.

I’m not arguing for or against the move, but his contested marking isn’t great whereas his hands on a lead or coming across are decent. True CHF’s would typically be decent contested marks eg a Curnow.
Comes down to the fact that it is very rare for it to come off . Yea true CHF are good marks . That is why Jones is not a good CHF . Does not change the fact he is a mobile KP .

I'm a believer. It's worth a try, but maybe not until Caddy has strung some decent games together. God knows we need to link up better in the air.

True.

What do you think he could have tried that would have turned things around? I'd argue what you've posted above about things changing and us not getting blown away is largely attributable to the gameplan.

I don't think the forward set up is working. Brad doesn't have Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow to set up around. None of our forwards were capable on the night of providing that kind of presence. We need someone to play as a CHF rather than having three guys trying to escape and be the third tall.

Without forwards who can play as key posts, we have to crab it around and try to maintain possession so that the opposition doesn't rebound on us.

A CHF like 2MP for instance.

Unfortunately we’re trying to shoehorn him into the ruck because Brad likes Harry Jones better then Nick Bryan

Lucky we have a coach that wont make radical changes or even consider the ones being mentioned

As i said a while ago everyone got ahead of how good we actually were. Now the same lot are saying were worse than we are and wanting radical changes like Jones on a wing

Setterfield is our winger

Our last 2 weeks have actually been pretty good, not far off our best. Thought our best performance was vs dogs

Our injury toll has been as bad as any over this time aswell. Get some cattle back and were fine. Push for a home final

Also I'm still pissed off about the pathetic goober I was sat next to.
Bad energy all night then after the Blues kicked away in the 4th started hanging over the edge filming himself flipping off people leaving on the level below zooming in on their faces and yelling out obscenities at them. Must've felt like a real big guy cos his team beat their team.
Text the number for unsociable behaviour.

There's a line. Good, funny banter is completely OK. Filming people and abusing them is just signature Carlton scum.

Well Brad has not told me personally but there is a reason why Nick does not get a game despite him being in the best 3 or 4 in the VFL every week and I have mentioned it 1000 times. They do not rate him because he has no physical presence and his work rate up and down the ground is not at Goldstein's level.
Goldy has his limitations now days and is not a physical animal as such but if you watch his game he gets up and down the ground all night . He will be in the back pocket and then without hesitation he will be pushing hard the other way. He got done by DeKoning around the ground numbers wise but it was more he was playing a separate role where after the ruck they did not really play on each other.
Scott will play Draper ahead of Bryan because of the physical side of thinks.
Nick is the same player he was at the start of last year.
To be very clear. Yes I am implying that right now the coach does not rate him.
I think byran is judged harsher than both draper and goldy.

If they play similar games this forum and selection committee will judge byran a lot more harshly than the others. Byran is 22 year old ruckman who shows good signs in vfl and enough when given a shot at afl level.

Is there a link or a graphic on where our shots on goal came from?

From the last quarter I saw, it was mainly harsh angles from 30m + that were were forced to kick wide
We missed a lot of easy ones including the first two that hit the post from in front.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back