AFL Autopsy RND 19: Beaten by the Crom

Remove this Banner Ad

Our loose man was Kelly. Crows loose man was in stoppage. I suspect Langford got manned up and Kelly went looking for the extra crow, he found him at stoppage late but couldn’t make up ground. He then got found out of positin stuck between being loose man or manned up at stoppage.

This exactly shows why it isn’t easy to get a loose man or goal keeper. You need to give up something elsewhere.

The other argument is do you have a loose when your less than a goal ahead. Every coach is gonna draw a different line on how long you should protect a lead. I personally thought we tried to protect the lead too early.

That is not a spare player in defence lol

No wonder we're so mediocre, we defend this crap

That is not a spare player in defence lol

No wonder we're so mediocre, we defend this crap
Give it what ever term you want, Kelly was our loose player, crows had an extra at stoppage we had Kelly in our back 50. To me it looked like Kelly got caught in between trying to man up the extra inside but then tried to get back once stoppage was lost. Communication and handover are one of the downfalls of trying to get an extra in defence, it usually ends up being someone you don’t want it to be like Kelly because Langford gets manned.

But like I’ve said a lot worse goals to focus on than the final one.

Hard to know where to turn to after that

I think its shown weve got gaping holes. Maybe Caddy can save us and hopefully Kako

Liked what i saw from Cox. Durham very good and Redman, Langford

Id rather never see Kelly again this year. Menzie and Gresham are poor

Pulled a few big levers and it didnt do anything
Did we really pull any levers though? The team structure was still pretty similar.

Shiel, Weideman, Laverde, Goldstein, Hind, Heppell, Stringer and Kelly

Get rid of them all, these guys keep us mid table.

Hunter, Baldwin, Setterfield and Tex the others on the chopping block.

We need a drastic strip back! I don't care if we need to pick 10 players in the drafts next year, keeping these senior bodies is not helping our cause.

The thing is we actually over cook the defensive effort. We are that keen to make some sort of impact that we just rush the ball carrier or contest and end up like a pack of dogs chasing a frisbee. As soon as one forward makes a defensive error we can not fix it and scramble all over the place but no thought goes into it .
It is like keystone cops. If being dumb was a contest we would be top 4 but still manage to find a way to finish second in the dumbass cup .
Even worse is where players position and pushing into space that isn’t dangerous. Why on earth is is McKay at half forward for a crows kick in. Ball goes straight over his head and suddenly he’s scrambling to get back. He should not be passing the halfway line. Let Ridley and the rucks be the air presence if the opposition kick long out of defense.

Their punishment should be put in front of a TV with toothpicks holding their eyes open and made to watch Ross Lyon pressers on repeat.
The troll is a St Kilda supporter that is punishment enough. Adding Ross Lyon to the mix would make for inhumane torture

Most annoying thing for me was EVERY time they kicked out from full back after a behind we allowed a free man 45 out on the boundary. From there they just Chinese checked the ball up the line with overlap... It's like we have been so infatuated with corridor presence that we just forgot there's another part of the ground.

Give it what ever term you want, Kelly was our loose player, crows had an extra at stoppage we had Kelly in our back 50. To me it looked like Kelly got caught in between trying to man up the extra inside but then tried to get back once stoppage was lost. Communication and handover are one of the downfalls of trying to get an extra in defence, it usually ends up being someone you don’t want it to be like Kelly because Langford gets manned.

But like I’ve said a lot worse goals to focus on than the final one.

"Why didn't we have a loose in defence who could defend the goal line"

"Because he was up at the stoppage"

Nice

Only having 6 players inside d50 also not excusable IMO.

And this isn't even mentioning the player we left loose at the stoppage was Keays

Even worse is where players position and pushing into space that isn’t dangerous. Why on earth is is McKay at half forward for a crows kick in. Ball goes straight over his head and suddenly he’s scrambling to get back. He should not be passing the halfway line. Let Ridley and the rucks be the air presence if the opposition kick long out of defense.
Even Cox or Jones should be contesting. Jones really went missing. Cox very impressive.

On our day we are going to be very hard to match up against with all the mobile talls.

Alt least Draper holding some marks now. 2 rucks hampers his game IMO. Seems to lift when sole ruck. Plus, the season has taken its toll on Goldy. Gone is the early season energy, hes done IMO.

Our biggest issue is no speed on the loose ball in our fwd 50. Hopefully the Davey's get a little tougher with another preseason. They have the speed we need.

"Why didn't we have a loose in defence who could defend the goal line"

"Because he was up at the stoppage"

Nice

Only having 6 players inside d50 also not excusable IMO.

And this isn't even mentioning the player we left loose at the stoppage was keays
This will be the last response because I don’t think you understand that there is give and take when employing a flood or man on the goal line.

Of course Adelaide are going to free up their most dangerous player if their extra is at stoppage. It’s why having a goal keeper on the line isn’t some easy fix and answer for last nights loss. Scott got us the extra in defence, it was Langford but Adelaide manned him up freeing up Kelly in the handover. He got confused and got lost inbetween. Scott can’t stop the game and reposition players.

To employ more defenders in our d50, it means taking more assets from further up the field and moving them back. We were a couple of points up and that stoppage was at our defensive side of the wing. One goal seals a win for us. If we decided to flood or stack our d 50 and durham had kicked the ball forward instead of stubbing it a few metres away the ball would have been turned over and we would have given Adelaide back the ball but also given them the opposite wing and centre of the ground to attack.

If the stoppage was inside our d 50 and we were up with less time on the clock more players inside the d 50 would have made sense.

If we have a loose so does Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perkins as sub was an error as well.
Guy cbf playing and hope vfl is next step.
Hind would have better option
A Davey jr - why isn’t this guy getting minutes?
He did. He is simply not ready yet. He may get some more games but at this stage he still needs more physical development and does not actually need to be playing week in and week out .

sad ralph wiggum GIF

He did. He is simply not ready yet. He may get some more games but at this stage he still needs more physical development and does not actually need to be playing week in and week out .
Noted. Thanks Ant. Just wondered what was happ w him.

Unpopular opinion but the talks was not the issue last night
Not that unpopular. Shit skills across the board. Our old mate lack of forward pressure was back and the center bounce stuff looked very much out of control and messy when we won the ball. Also some very poor choice under pressure. They wet the bed . Pressure will do that to a side that is not at the next level.

Not that unpopular. Shit skills across the board. Our old mate lack of forward pressure was back and the center bounce stuff looked very much out of control and messy when we won the ball. Also some very poor choice under pressure. They wet the bed . Pressure will do that to a side that is not at the next level.
started keeping a close eye on the midfield group and boy do we cheat the system. When Caldwell went off and no one else stood up to do the hard stuff, we were stuffed. Run forward before possession has been won is a big no-no and we did it in abundance again last night.

I not just pointing a finger at the small forwards now either. Kelly was poor, McGrath needs to go back to the VFL and learn to hit basic targets because they are starting to become a big issue for me. As much good as Redman did he was caught out a couple of times as well all from poor defensive setting up or cheating the system.

The whole easy to play against thing is making so much more sense now a days. We like to play bruise free football because we play bruise free football ourselves.

Not upset about the loss. We need better talent. Missing finals will sting but we need a pick before Kako.

Just a decent small forward would be nice

The advantage is that it’s the kids driving the good performances

The bad is that no senior players are stepping up but Langers, Ridley, Merrett and Laverde which has his limitations but he’ll of only everyone had the effort Laverde puts in.

We should be having prime performances from guys like Wright, Stringer, McGrath, Redman, Heppell, Draper, Shiel and so on if they are playing in the Seniors but the output is just crap.

I reckon Brad Scott and late season fade out is a close second eg North starting 10-1 and finishing 12-10

That was the one year. Typically under Scott we were awful early (1 round 1 win in his tenure) and improved as the season went on.

That said, Scott is the GOAT at coaching close losses at marvel. I’d be shocked if anyone has coached more. Many of them lost when infront for most of the match.

This will be the last response because I don’t think you understand that there is give and take when employing a flood or man on the goal line.

Of course Adelaide are going to free up their most dangerous player if their extra is at stoppage. It’s why having a goal keeper on the line isn’t some easy fix and answer for last nights loss. Scott got us the extra in defence, it was Langford but Adelaide manned him up freeing up Kelly in the handover. He got confused and got lost inbetween. Scott can’t stop the game and reposition players.

To employ more defenders in our d50, it means taking more assets from further up the field and moving them back. We were a couple of points up and that stoppage was at our defensive side of the wing. One goal seals a win for us. If we decided to flood or stack our d 50 and durham had kicked the ball forward instead of stubbing it a few metres away the ball would have been turned over and we would have given Adelaide back the ball but also given them the opposite wing and centre of the ground to attack.

If the stoppage was inside our d 50 and we were up with less time on the clock more players inside the d 50 would have made sense.

If we have a loose so does Adelaide.

I very much understand that by trying to create a loose in defense we give up something up the ground, either at stoppage or at defense.

The problem I have is we gave an extra number at stoppage to their most damaging player (have someone stand on him and create the loose as soligo or something).

And the loose we created was half a kick behind stoppage not loose in defense - he got caught in no mans land.

The no flooding means we can't attack but we're up, we don't need to attack we need to kill 60 seconds of clock and having only 6 men in defense in that game scenario just isn't sufficient.

1721433185643.png 1721433234796.png

We were in an almost identical situation with two minutes to go. Between the stoppage and the wide view we can see some similarities and differences:

1. Kelly hangs off the back of stoppage [same]
2. Crows create an extra at stoppage [same]
3. Essendon mans Keays, and leaves the rookies/less damaging players free [Different]

Dowling wins the balls and clears i50, we cut to wide view
4. We have 7 defenders [Different]
5. We have a proper spare [Different]

Langford intercept marks here. This is much closer to what we should have been doing. Still not sure we needed Kelly off the back of stoppage as crows hadn't been beating us out the front of it (no Rankine), defensive positioning at stoppage would've probably been enough but I get it as long as we still have the spare out back.

I can understand us not having even more players in defense here given double the time on the clock but at least we've got the out number in D50 with some defensive positioning at stoppage.

Fast forward a minute and we now have fewer players in the defensive 50, no spare, no goal keeper.

Sorry mate you can say there is give and take all you want but this is a pretty big/obvious failure in the last minute and you only need to rewind one more minute to see a better example. Whether its coaching, on field leadership or execution I don't know and that is what I would like to understand.

Fun note: Crows almost got beat the other way with ~30 seconds left doing something similar. They let us go even numbers and didn't put anything back in defense from our forward half wing stoppage. Jake Stringer got a clean i50 to 1:1 contests leading at the top of the square. We just couldn't mark/get it over the back

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 19: Beaten by the Crom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back