Opinion Revisiting An Old Subject - "Substandard Club Songs"

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t change them just because they’re part of history and it’s the one tradition that connects past and present players.

You could write a new song but it will be judged and criticised in time like anything else is.

North is my favourite song btw. In the 90’s when they were up and about it sounded great.

I like the da da dadada of the carlton song. But then it goes on a bit.

GWS' song is fun.

Obviously, I love the Tigers song.

I liked Adelaide's better when there lyrics were "we're the the pride of south Australia, we're the mighty Adelaide Crows."
Not sure why they changed it to "and we're known as the Adelaide Crows."

I don't really dislike any of the songs but some could do with a revamp.

I have always preferred the theme songs that build up to a rousing finish. My favourite has always been the Notre Dame Fight Song because of this, as used by clubs like South Melbourne / Sydney Swans, Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL, East Fremantle in the WAFL, and North Footscray, Hoppers Crossing and Point Cook Centrals in the WFNL.

Shake down the Thunder from the Sky!

The definitive rankings:

A: Melbourne, Richmond, GWS, Sydney
B: North Melbourne, St Kilda
C: Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Essendon, Carlton
D: West Coast, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane
Youre A Tier is astronomically correct, cant fault it, although id have carlton in there. Really really.

Carlton's song has a decent opening couple of bars of intro and then is the dullest song ever written. Sydney deserves to be in the As. Can't argue with the rest

A: Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn, St Kilda, North Melb, GWS
B: Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne
C: Sydney, Essendon
----------------------------------------------
D: Bulldogs, Adelaide
E: Fremantle, Brisbane
F: West Coast, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast
FrustratedTiger Yeah, Sydney should be up in A, personally id have north out, and Melb up.
Yet to find anyone that doesn't consider Melbournes song to be in the upper echelon of theme songs (up their with Richmond, GWS)

Slightly related question:

Were club songs always played before the games? I'm fairly sure, back when I was a wee tacker and football was played in Black and White, both teams ran onto the field together (via seperate races). I don't remember the theme songs being played before the game.

They were always a part of the post-game celebration.

The reason I ask this is because of the usual comments re Carlton 'dull and boring' etc. I agree, it's not the greatest 'Fire the boys up!' rousing anthem, but played after a win, preferably with a few (or several) beverages on board, it's the most triumphant, boastful, 'we're the best and bugger the rest!' victory singalong you can have (I speak from experience, having been in the Carlton members after a few memorable victories, courtesy of my Brother-in-Law).

Irony that hawks fans get to vote on a rev up song for the final quarter each home game.

The rev up for wandering out and being told to take shelter in the rooms due to lightning?

‘Thunderstruck acdc’

I never got why Sydney has the banjo in their song. I reckon it would suit Geelong more tbh.

I also really like Freos one. Sue me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back