Opinion Revisiting An Old Subject - "Substandard Club Songs"

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

If an NRL team can do it then why can't an AFL club ??

Yes, it's an old subject but let's be realistic, at least half of the clubs in the AFL are in desperate need of a new or completely revamped club song.

The Giants came into the competition and unveiled a a terrific song so why do so many of the older clubs persist with their current uninspiring, limp & thoroughly boring club songs ??

Richmond & GWS are both big rousing singalongs that get the crowd into it.

Gold Coast tries hard but just doesn't get there.

Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn, Carlton, Footscray, Essendon, Geelong, Melbourne are borderline acceptable but could do with an increase in tempo & a reworking, they really lack the "punch" the first two have.

West Coast, Brisbane, Fremantle, Adelaide, St. Kilda, Port Adelaide & North Melbourne are simply horrible.

Assuming some of the clubs wanted to make a change, then what process do they go through to do it ??

Should they take an old song and rework/reword it (eg. "Madison Blues" for Carlton), take a recent song & reword it (eg. "Highway To Hell" for Melbourne) or throw caution to the wind and get some songwriters to come up with a brand new tune ??

Last edited:
The definitive rankings:

A: Melbourne, Richmond, GWS, Sydney
B: North Melbourne, St Kilda
C: Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Essendon, Carlton
D: West Coast, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane

Yes, it's an old subject but let's be realistic, at least half of the clubs in the AFL are in desperate need of a new or completely revamped club song.

The Giants came into the competition and unveiled a a terrific song so why do so many of the older clubs persist with their current uninspiring, limp & thoroughly boring club songs ??

Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn, Carlton, Footscray, Essendon, Geelong, Melbourne are borderline acceptable but could do with an increase in tempo & a reworking, they really lack the "punch" the first two have.

West Coast, Brisbane, Fremantle, Adelaide, St. Kilda, Port Adelaide & North Melbourne are simply horrible.

Assuming some of the clubs wanted to make a change, then what process do they go through to do it ??

Should they take an old song and rework/reword it (eg. "Madison Blues" for Carlton), take a recent song & reword it (eg. "Highway To Hell" for Melbourne) or throw caution to the wind and get some songwriters to come up with a brand new tune ??
You mean like the Saints have done?

Its up there for me....

Worst IMO is West Coast. Each version has been worse than the previous one
Last week I was at the game and as West Coast ran out I thought thats a bit disrespectful playing some unknown song when their team song should be on.
Then I realised it was their song and was like WTF, why would you have that instead of the old version.

Massive bugbear of mine Is Players singing it at a million miles an hr like they just want to get it over and done with.
Sure there are going to be wins that are purely pedestrian got our business done type but there are always hard fought wins that most clubs songs can be sung with a matter of pride of which the club represents. Swans song may not be the most inspiring to some but playing Suburban Footy For a Club that used the same song there was nothing better after a win than belting it out in a circle with arms around 20 blokes you had just been to battle with. Might be a bit dramatic but bit of disrespect being shown to some of these great club anthems these days Imo.

It seems no one rates our song.

Good, get used to it.
Don't actually mind it over the speakers, but sounds awful when the players sing it imo

Last week I was at the game and as West Coast ran out I thought thats a bit disrespectful playing some unknown song when their team song should be on.
Then I realised it was their song and was like WTF, why would you have that instead of the old version.

I personally like the earliest one (different singer though).... but the second one was alright 2... not sure what with the tourism ad recent one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back