Preview Rd 13 Cats V Swans Sunday June 9 320pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever posted that we are getting back on top when the heat is out of the game was spot on. Best analysis of what has been happening that I have seen here (or anywhere for that matter)>

IF we can hang in we might be a chance. IF PFD plays we will be more of a chance of hanging in there. But they are a scary midfield at the moment.

Any value throwing Rohan into the guts for a while for speed and intensity. Pretty out there idea but who knows?

Has Rohan ever played in the middle?

His forward pressure is invaluable when he's 'on'.......makes it hard to move him anywhere else.

Has Rohan ever played in the middle?

His forward pressure is invaluable when he's 'on'.......makes it hard to move him anywhere else.
Dunno if he has. Just a thought as it's a great weakness of ours at the moment. I can't say how it would work but it might be a trick up the sleeve.

When he is in beast mode he is crazy.

EDIT: He would be invaluable at keeping the ball more in the FL when it gets there. But it's gotta get there first.

Last edited:

Dunno if he has. Just a thought as it's a great weakness of ours at the moment. I can't say how it would work but it might be a trick up the sleeve.

When he is in beast mode he is crazy.

EDIT: He would be invaluable at keeping the ball more in the FL when it gets there. But it's gotta get there first.

Would be an interesting move, but not one I think Scott would contemplate.

As I was saying to CatToTheFuture on the Oppo board.

Geez they are very confident over there on the Swans board, talking about winning by 110, 60+ blah blah blah
Before the game has even been played. You’d have thought Geelong are forfeiting with all the wankfest going on.
Would be a real shame if someone came along and ruined their little June Premiership party…:cool:

All the expectations on them, Cats going in as major underdogs (how often does that ever happen?)
Would be the perfect time for Jez, Stewy, Stengle and the like to show some AA level form.
Even Hawk turning back the clock like when he pantsed them in front of 100k on Grand Final day.
Jump them from coming off the Bye and leave them stunned once again.

You’d have thought with seeing how many teams get off to blistering starts only to falter when it matters that they’d keep the lid on it.
We’ve seen multiple teams hit this point and hit a bad patch. Their bad patch is coming they just haven’t hit it yet.
Would be the perfect time to jump them.
We have absolutely no rights to win this….except what happens if we do win ;)
Chris Scott acknowledged them as the best team in the comp ... "at the moment".

"Then do what we can to make sure it's not the case for the whole year," he said.

They're the front runners right now and that means wearing a pretty big a target on their back.

Chris Scott acknowledged them as the best team in the comp ... "at the moment".

"Then do what we can to make sure it's not the case for the whole year," he said.

They're the front runners right now and that means wearing a pretty big a target on their back.

True..... premierships aren't won this time of year.

But right now, it's the Swan's to lose.

Geez they are very confident over there on the Swans board, talking about winning by 110, 60+ blah blah blah
Before the game has even been played. You’d have thought Geelong are forfeiting with all the wankfest going on.
Would be a real shame if someone came along and ruined their little June Premiership party…:cool:

All the expectations on them, Cats going in as major underdogs (how often does that ever happen?)
Would be the perfect time for Jez, Stewy, Stengle and the like to show some AA level form.
Even Hawk turning back the clock like when he pantsed them in front of 100k on Grand Final day.

You’d have thought with seeing how many teams get off to blistering starts only to falter when it matters that they’d keep the lid on it.
We’ve seen multiple teams hit this point and hit a bad patch. Their bad patch is coming they just haven’t hit it yet.
Sounds like some people here, before the Richmond game, who had massive nervy turns, during the game 😜

Last edited:
If it bleeds you can kill it.

On our day we have the surgical tools.

But everything is very blunt right now and has been for weeks.

Not sure of what sharpens us up enough to get the W up there.

Go Catters

If we play Neale, Hawkins, and Rohan, it might be a good week to give Ollie Henry a week off from the 1s and bring Mannagh in for pressure around the contest, speed and link up play in the forward line

Doubt Henry plays this week

He was subbed out with hamstring awareness and he had been getting the area worked on since halfway through the first quarter - so seems something wasn't right for him on Saturday night

With the bye the week after, this gives him a decent break to refresh

So listening to Danger on SEN….I would be shocked if he played against the Swans.

Same message as Coach which on the face of it is positive…he feels ready, been in full training for a couple of weeks and he really wants to play….

But then volunteered the “second school of thought”…

Which was that if he misses one more game he will get 5 more “12km training sessions in before his next game. Something he can’t do during the year etc.

He then went on to explaining the change to his method of play that he has been practicing - part of which was to potentially play forward more (that doesn’t sound good for some forward!)…

He mentioned that there would be a big debate about the two options this week…but that “Chris always wins…”

I got the feeling they will give him one more week off

#cats_09 I think you have been big on this…. In response to a poster complaining our MF dont have enough accumulators
Pretty good sample size…

We need Max Holmes to spend more time on the bench of promise he will come to bench when he gets 29

We flirted with disaster on Saturday against a bottom team with a few players almost getting 30.
1717467704870.png

There was a passage of play, which I searched for unsuccessfully, where our defence was doing their zoning thing. Players were spread out across D50, Richmond players were on their own + scored.

Call me crazy, what if we changed that wide spread zoning to our F50, probably not as broad, with our big forwards creating room, to avoid a big pack of oppo backs scragging them? Our crumbers + MFs could target spills to regain possession + with a line of our defenders, gather the ball + stop the oppo team kicking forward?

Now tear my theory to shreds :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a passage of play, which I searched for unsuccessfully, where our defence was doing their zoning thing. Players were spread out across D50, Richmond players were on their own + scored.

Call me crazy, what if we changed that wide spread zoning to our F50, probably not as broad, with our big forwards creating room, to avoid a big pack of oppo backs scragging them? Our crumbers + MFs could target spills to regain possession + with a line of our defenders, gather the ball + stop the oppo team kicking forward?

Now tear my theory to shreds :oops:

Hmm, interesting idea.

But it's problematic because we need everyone bunched together to watch the oppo backs mark the high, aimless bombs as they descend randomly into our forward line.

😊

Hmm, interesting idea.

But it's problematic because we need everyone bunched together to watch the oppo backs mark the high, aimless bombs as they descend randomly into our forward line.

😊
Those long, high, aimless bombs are my bête noir. Obviously they are required at times. But Hawkins usually marks all the long, low kicks, which bring him to lead. Need more of those kicks.

If our forwards were spread, as I suggested, there would be less oppo backs to fight for the mark? If our forwards were in front, are there more chances of them to mark?

Yes, I think you're right Cataholic. I'm trying some lateral thinking.

We smashed the bags out of them (AGAIN) in 2023, followed later in the year (we were injury ridden) in a low scoring game by a DRAW.
I'd be interested to compare the change in personnel from those games. Their ladder position is deserved.
This year they've beaten goodish teams by an average 4-5 goals, but totally pantsed - GC, Haw, Freo, Carl.
And lost to Richmond. A win for us is more achievable than it looks, especially if we don't let them get the jump, and the flow we finally found continues. Big help if the Boogie Man and Danger are on the flight.

Whoever posted that we are getting back on top when the heat is out of the game was spot on. Best analysis of what has been happening that I have seen here (or anywhere for that matter)

IF we can hang in we might be a chance. IF PFD plays we will be more of a chance of hanging in there. But they are a scary midfield at the moment.

Any value throwing Rohan into the guts for a while for speed and intensity. Pretty out there idea but who knows?
It was a brilliant comment by Hinkley29 and at the time, I could not see that happening at half time, but he was spot-on.

It was a brilliant comment by Hinkley29 and at the time, I could not see that happening at half time, but he was spot-on.
Thanks for the shout Vdubs

I personally don’t like us at all this week. I can see us getting blown away in the first half and then treading water after half time. It could be ugly.

If I was Geelong I would almost be tempted to punt on this game. Take no chances with anyone, and definitely leave danger at home. Give Loch Ness a 2 week break, if we need to sacrifice Rhys in this game then so be it. Maybe Dempsey also, although his form is great so maybe keep him going into the bye. Give Hardie a debut to keep the agitators quiet and see what he can do, Mannagh also. Leave Hawk at home, and only play jez if he is 100% fit - he doesn’t look right to me at the moment.

Regroup during the bye and see if we can pull a rabbit out of the hat in the second half of the season.

Thanks for the shout Vdubs

I personally don’t like us at all this week. I can see us getting blown away in the first half and then treading water after half time. It could be ugly.

If I was Geelong I would almost be tempted to punt on this game. Take no chances with anyone, and definitely leave danger at home. Give Loch Ness a 2 week break, if we need to sacrifice Rhys in this game then so be it. Maybe Dempsey also, although his form is great so maybe keep him going into the bye. Give Hardie a debut to keep the agitators quiet and see what he can do, Mannagh also. Leave Hawk at home, and only play jez if he is 100% fit - he doesn’t look right to me at the moment.

Regroup during the bye and see if we can pull a rabbit out of the hat in the second half of the season.
Just to add to this - if we play Cuthrie or o Henry this week we are insane.

They should be super confident, and I fully expect the Swans to win easily this week.

However, the game will not be instructive of much in regards the eventual premiership bonafides of either team.

Chris Scott is too good a coach to not make adjustments, but it won’t be this week. Conversely, this group of swans players have achieved nothing, and we might just be looking at fools gold right now.

It’s been happening for the past 5 weeks. Not just last week.
Almost like we wait for the opposition to tire before digging in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back