Preview Rd 13 Cats V Swans Sunday June 9 320pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So listening to Danger on SEN….I would be shocked if he played against the Swans.

Same message as Coach which on the face of it is positive…he feels ready, been in full training for a couple of weeks and he really wants to play….

But then volunteered the “second school of thought”…

Which was that if he misses one more game he will get 5 more “12km training sessions in before his next game. Something he can’t do during the year etc.

He then went on to explaining the change to his method of play that he has been practicing - part of which was to potentially play forward more (that doesn’t sound good for some forward!)…

He mentioned that there would be a big debate about the two options this week…but that “Chris always wins…”

I got the feeling they will give him one more week off
Not only doesn't it sound not good for a forward but at the same time I think a move like that would be to facilitate C Guthrie coming straight back into the midfield post bye hugely lacking match hardness so instead of strengthening the midfield we go potentially one short for weeks while he looks for form that may not even be there.

Dangerfield will NOT play this week.

So we’ll be taking on the Swans at the peak of their powers minus our two most experienced mids.

Watch the premiership odds bounce around if we go up there and knock em off. We’re down a bit in personnel but Chris Scott will pull out some tricks and be really keen to get a win here I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't think we're waiting, we just can't keep up
Maybe.
But I see a lot of lazy chasing, slipped/sloppytackles ect in the first halves as of late.
Then in the second half it’s like a different team.
Our pressure in first halves is atrocious. Maybe you’re right and we literally cannot pressure and physically cannot go with the other team.

Rounds 1-7 our pressure was elite, ranked number 1 in the comp.
As of late we are ranked 13th (From memory)

I don’t know.
Won’t be long before we find out I guess.

I would play danger but anyway.

Out henry (inj) tuohy mullin neale
In:blicavs clark mannagh must be in. I would go hardie for the 4th spot but we probably wont.

Rohan and oconnor very lucky.
Jeka probably in if kolo isnt right.

Maybe stanley for conway but i hope we dont.

Not only doesn't it sound not good for a forward but at the same time I think a move like that would be to facilitate C Guthrie coming straight back into the midfield post bye hugely lacking match hardness so instead of strengthening the midfield we go potentially one short for weeks while he looks for form that may not even be there.
It's only gut feel I must admit, but I'm of the view that Guthrie is doing a mini-preseason right now, and could be playing if we really wanted him to.

We tried to bring him straight back in and it didn't work, and we're getting him back up to speed behind the scenes, and that will include a VFL game or two which has been floated.

Our coach plays the long game these days. We're up against it this year anyway, and he knows we're virtually no hope without Dangerfield & Guthrie in there at their best.

Go up to Sydney, hopefully make a good account of ourselves, and reset over the bye looking to get on another streak.

I'm not saying that's going to happen BTW, just what I assume the plan is.

#cats_09 I think you have been big on this…. In response to a poster complaining our MF dont have enough accumulators
Pretty good sample size…

We need Max Holmes to spend more time on the bench of promise he will come to bench when he gets 29

We flirted with disaster on Saturday against a bottom team with a few players almost getting 30.
View attachment 2010232
Shallow analysis.

That covers last month of last season and this season.
The losses late last year were while we had a gargantuan injury list. Possession counts largely were irrelevant, we didn't have the personnel to win.

The 7-0 start this year has been while losing the clearance and stoppages battle but winning purely by being a better run outfit. The four losses that followed are the one's to look at, beaten by superior midfields and the lack of ball winning ability, clearance winning ability and general low production from midfielders has been pivotal in why we've lost.

Mids with 18-21 touches a game and low ToG is unsustainable if we wish to succeed. We currently have 4 in that range.
We are literally the only club doing it this way and it is little wonder we're 17th for clearances.

Ade: Crouch 30, Laird 27, Dawson 25.
BL: Neale 28, Dunkley 25, McCluggage 25.
Car: Walsh 31, Cripps 27, Acres 23.
Coll: Daicos 31, Daicos 24, de Goey 22.
Ess: Merrett 29, Parish 24, Setterfield 24.
Fre: Serong 31, Brayshaw 27, Young 25
GEELONG: Holmes 25*, Dangerfield 21, Bruhn 19, Parfitt 18, Bowes 18, Atkins 17.
Suns: Flanders 30, Anderson 28, Miller 26.
GWS: Green 28, Kelly 25, Coniglio 24.
Haw: Newcombe 23, Worpel 21, Day 20.
Mel: Oliver 24, Petracca 24, Viney 21.
Nth: LDU 28, Powell 21, McKercher 21.
Port: Butters 28, Wines 23, Rozee 23
Rich: Taranto 25, Hopper 23, Baker 22.
St.K: Steele 25, Hill 22, Windhager 20.
Syd: Heeney 26, Gulden 26, Warner 24.
WCE: Kelly 23, Yeo 23, Reid 17.
WB: Treloar 33, Bontempelli 26, Liberatore 25.

Now, I excluded flankers and defenders who accumulate the ball and looked at the best 3 mids at each club. Inside or outside or both. Players close to a whole number are rounded for ease of use. Doesn't materially change things.

I would play danger but anyway.

Out henry (inj) tuohy mullin neale
In:blicavs clark mannagh must be in. I would go hardie for the 4th spot but we probably wont.

Rohan and oconnor very lucky.
Jeka probably in if kolo isnt right.

Maybe stanley for conway but i hope we dont.
Not a fan of weak selection if they choose to leave Dangerfield out.
If he's right he should play.

Don't think we're waiting, we just can't keep up
That's exactly it. We are apparently not able to sustain 4 quarters of high pressure footy at this stage, yet we are still top 4 this week. It was like this last year.

Gday guys.

My old man has claimed to have inside word that humphries is getting his debut game this week...

No idea where he believes to have gotten this from.

Will test out if he finally has gone cookoo or not!!

Is this some cruel joke? Or has the moment arrived? Unleash the Laws!

1717496877808.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly it. We are apparently not able to sustain 4 quarters of high pressure footy at this stage, yet we are still top 4 this week. It was like this last year.
Not quite though. We were 6-6 instead of 8-4 with an easier run home this year.

Get as many wins into the kids as possible and it's a good year

Oh my God oh my God oh my God

Someone get me a flight to Sydney!
Double Trouble Salsa GIF by Tailgating Challenge

Shallow analysis.

That covers last month of last season and this season.
The losses late last year were while we had a gargantuan injury list. Possession counts largely were irrelevant, we didn't have the personnel to win.

The 7-0 start this year has been while losing the clearance and stoppages battle but winning purely by being a better run outfit. The four losses that followed are the one's to look at, beaten by superior midfields and the lack of ball winning ability, clearance winning ability and general low production from midfielders has been pivotal in why we've lost.

Mids with 18-21 touches a game and low ToG is unsustainable if we wish to succeed. We currently have 4 in that range.
We are literally the only club doing it this way and it is little wonder we're 17th for clearances.

Ade: Crouch 30, Laird 27, Dawson 25.
BL: Neale 28, Dunkley 25, McCluggage 25.
Car: Walsh 31, Cripps 27, Acres 23.
Coll: Daicos 31, Daicos 24, de Goey 22.
Ess: Merrett 29, Parish 24, Setterfield 24.
Fre: Serong 31, Brayshaw 27, Young 25
GEELONG: Holmes 25*, Dangerfield 21, Bruhn 19, Parfitt 18, Bowes 18, Atkins 17.
Suns: Flanders 30, Anderson 28, Miller 26.
GWS: Green 28, Kelly 25, Coniglio 24.
Haw: Newcombe 23, Worpel 21, Day 20.
Mel: Oliver 24, Petracca 24, Viney 21.
Nth: LDU 28, Powell 21, McKercher 21.
Port: Butters 28, Wines 23, Rozee 23
Rich: Taranto 25, Hopper 23, Baker 22.
St.K: Steele 25, Hill 22, Windhager 20.
Syd: Heeney 26, Gulden 26, Warner 24.
WCE: Kelly 23, Yeo 23, Reid 17.
WB: Treloar 33, Bontempelli 26, Liberatore 25.

Now, I excluded flankers and defenders who accumulate the ball and looked at the best 3 mids at each club. Inside or outside or both. Players close to a whole number are rounded for ease of use. Doesn't materially change things.
I think the x post from afl central was shallow and pointing out a quirk for sure. But it was just a fact that for the past 16 games we have been better win loss when no one got over 30. Now of course that fact could be meaningless and shallow.

At risk of being shallow again (don’t have time to dive deeper) I went back to last good year I can remember. 2022. I enjoyed that year. It was also the first time I really “got” the different theory Geelong had with TOG% of midfielders. We had 65-70% when every other club had 85% for main midfielders.

Below I just screen shot possessions for the year. 1 player every 2.5 games got over 30. If we limit to midfielders we only had 3 games where a player got over 30. It is a different philosophy. In 2022 it worked. Who knows of course whether that was a cause (part of) or just an anomaly.

Fast forward to past 16 games and we have same fact pattern. Again no idea whether it is a driver or coincidence. But I doubt the win/loss facts would be making our MC rethink the strategy. I have seen no evidence that they will change?

1717499286458.png

Dangerfield will NOT play this week.

So we’ll be taking on the Swans at the peak of their powers minus our two most experienced mids.

Watch the premiership odds bounce around if we go up there and knock em off. We’re down a bit in personnel but Chris Scott will pull out some tricks and be really keen to get a win here I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well i hope you are wrong 3 Big Calls in a row

GF Week 2022 , you said Max Holmes is a certainty to play in the GF - bottom line he didnt play

Round 1 - 2023 against Coll , Max Holmes again , you said blah blah , its a long season and all the rest of it , they wont risk him , well guess what he played against Coll in round 1

Dangerfield i believe has had a month off - i hope he plays against the Swans

Well i hope you are wrong 3 Big Calls in a row

GF Week 2022 , you said Max Holmes is a certainty to play in the GF - bottom line he didnt play

Round 1 - 2023 against Coll , Max Holmes again , you said blah blah , its a long season and all the rest of it , they wont risk him , well guess what he played against Coll in round 1

Dangerfield i believe has had a month off - i hope he plays against the Swans
To be fair, I don't think what he's saying is based on any inside word.

I was listening to Dangerfield on SEN today, and I got the impression he wouldn't be playing either.

Not quite though. We were 6-6 instead of 8-4 with an easier run home this year.

Get as many wins into the kids as possible and it's a good year
Just had a re look at draw.

Of course it is silly to look so far ahead but we should come home 4-1.

It is the next 6 games that are a little make or break. Not for finals I don’t think but for top 4.

Split 3-3 will be good enough to be 15 wins and probably top 4 (cusp). 4-2 and I think certain. I actually think 4-2 is very possible…But we could easily go 2-4 in that stretch.

A surprise win against sydney and the season is set up for back half of year. Focus will be using our softer draw to finish the year to get best 23 ready and and in form

To be fair, I don't think what he's saying is based on any inside word.

I was listening to Dangerfield on SEN today, and I got the impression he wouldn't be playing either.
I don’t think you could listen to that and come to any other conclusion. He wants to play but sounded resigned to the fact that he will be doing two more weeks of full training.

Now maybe he was tricking us or he has it wrong but on the face of it I concluded no way he plays this week

I think the x post from afl central was shallow and pointing out a quirk for sure. But it was just a fact that for the past 16 games we have been better win loss when no one got over 30. Now of course that fact could be meaningless and shallow.

At risk of being shallow again (don’t have time to dive deeper) I went back to last good year I can remember. 2022. I enjoyed that year. It was also the first time I really “got” the different theory Geelong had with TOG% of midfielders. We had 65-70% when every other club had 85% for main midfielders.

Below I just screen shot possessions for the year. 1 player every 2.5 games got over 30. If we limit to midfielders we only had 3 games where a player got over 30. It is a different philosophy. In 2022 it worked. Who knows of course whether that was a cause (part of) or just an anomaly.

Fast forward to past 16 games and we have same fact pattern. Again no idea whether it is a driver or coincidence. But I doubt the win/loss facts would be making our MC rethink the strategy. I have seen no evidence that they will change?

View attachment 2010741
Screenshot 2024-06-04 211713.png

Reckon the highlighted part was a key difference in 2022.

All of Selwood, Dangerfield and Guthrie got over 100 clearances for the season. With Atkins and Blicavs ably supporting with around 80 each. Which is why we were top 5 for clearances in 2022. This year we're 17th.

My issue isn't so much that we can't or rarely do see a Geelong mid get 30 touches, it's that because they don't do so that it inhibits their ability to have what is considered acceptable output from midfielders. How can one get the ball on average with the rest of the league - say 25-28 times a game - if that's where their best games cap out. They need the games that Cripps, Daicos, Oliver etc have now and then. The 35 and 10 clearance games.

As it stands if our aim is to replicate the methodology of 2022 as you've shown, then I am contending we'll get sub-par results as the cattle isn't at the same level as it was 2 years prior.

View attachment 2010761

Reckon the highlighted part was a key difference in 2022.

All of Selwood, Dangerfield and Guthrie got over 100 clearances for the season. With Atkins and Blicavs ably supporting with around 80 each. Which is why we were top 5 for clearances in 2022. This year we're 17th.

My issue isn't so much that we can't or rarely do see a Geelong mid get 30 touches, it's that because they don't do so that it inhibits their ability to have what is considered acceptable output from midfielders. How can one get the ball on average with the rest of the league - say 25-28 times a game - if that's where their best games cap out. They need the games that Cripps, Daicos, Oliver etc have now and then. The 35 and 10 clearance games.

As it stands if our aim is to replicate the methodology of 2022 as you've shown, then I am contending we'll get sub-par results as the cattle isn't at the same level as it was 2 years prior.
I do miss him!!

I actually think your logic makes sense and I am sure the match committee are thinking about it. It could be that they are hoping with danger and Guthrie back and fully fit the “cattle” may indeed get back to par (by definition it takes the poorer two MF out. 3 if you count Holmes as a “new” MF option who is probably par or above?). In that case keeping them “fresh” by lower TOG might be the best method. Atkins and Bruhn automatically are “better” if they are number 4 and 5 in the MF rotation. Or 5 and 6 if Blitz gets back to his best.

But yes it might be a pipe dream. It was 30 games ago since Guthrie was fit so who knows whether he ever comes back to above par. And maybe Danger will be as much forward as mid. Who knows with Blitz. In that case I think the method isn’t the issue so much as missing 1-2 different makers.

Despite promising youngsters which is great for future..We need those over 30 guys in top form to have any chance - same as “too old, too slow” 2022. I didn’t see that happening this time two years ago so can hope it is just we can’t see it yet!

Is this some cruel joke? Or has the moment arrived? Unleash the Laws!

View attachment 2010678
I had to call him up and probe.

Apparently he knows someone who is close with brett goodes down at the club who has told him this.

The other comment was that brett goodes cannot get over how professional geelong is compared to western bulldogs, that it is day and night..

Oh and PS... I didnt even know brett goodes even worked with us??! Has my old man lost it or is this true??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back