QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF is he called that for Briz?? Sounds a bit derogatory
You’d have to ask on our board, because some of the posters with QAFL links called him that when he was coming through our academy.

As for you thinking it sounds derogatory. I’d say that’s 100% on how you interpret the word special, and the connotations you have with the word.

Until your post, I’ve never ever even thought or considered the word like that.

I have always thought it meant he was a very exciting player, because when the word special has been used in that context, with kids coming through any sport (and I’ve followed the EPL and NBA since before I left school in 1990), it’s always been used as a positive word.

You’d have to ask on our board, because some of the posters with QAFL links called him that when he was coming through our academy.

As for you thinking it sounds derogatory. I’d say that’s 100% on how you interpret the word special, and the connotations you have with the word.

Until your post, I’ve never ever even thought or considered the word like that.

I have always thought it meant he was a very exciting player, because when the word special has been used in that context, with kids coming through any sport (and I’ve followed the EPL and NBA since before I left school in 1990), it’s always been used as a positive word.
obviously not a teacher then Briz where a kid referred to as "special" puts them into the disability category due to the phrase "special education".
Not sure I've ever heard a player referred to as "Special (insert name)" in any sport tbh. I've heard of guys having done something special but as a nickname, nup. Doesn't matter - whats cleared up is that we are referring to the same Reville.... :)

You were a bit stiff surely you could of got on the bench 🤣
It’ll be interesting to see what general AFL media the result of the state game gets, if any, considering the new AFL licence granted to Tassie. Win for them potentially suggests they have the depth in their state league, lose and calls that they’re off the pace could ring around the place.

RG hasn't done ACL, but has played only 10 mins of footy due to a hamstring issue. Chalk him up as another young player completely mismanaged by the Lions medical team (not their AFL one obviously)
That’s crap news for RG and Sherwood Thommo. I know where you are coming from in regards Lions and how much non emphasis is put on non contract boys topping up.

All I can say is I’m glad my bloke is a a very good professional stand a lone VFL Club after an ordinary time at Lions.

Think there will be another influx of QLD kids to VFL Clubs in Melbourne as I think I counted 10 this year and word is spreading.

That’s crap news for RG and Sherwood Thommo. I know where you are coming from in regards Lions and how much non emphasis is put on non contract boys topping up.

All I can say is I’m glad my bloke is a a very good professional stand a lone VFL Club after an ordinary time at Lions.

Think there will be another influx of QLD kids to VFL Clubs in Melbourne as I think I counted 10 this year and word is spreading.
One Academy has gone and got a major sponsor the other lives in 70s.

The stand alone clubs will see the benefit of chasing QLD kids as they can play and don't ask for the world.
Williamstown is a great club I watched the Port Melb game, which had a few QLD past players and they didn't look out of place.

Agree, though the Lions & Suns are undefeated on top of the VFL ladder, so results back their current methods unfortunately
I would say with Lions it’s more to do with no injuries and playing 20+ contracted players every week is why they travelling ok. Suns directly rely on their Academy for top ups but they have a bigger main list of 48 players in AFL so they again shielded by that and no injuries.

Let’s see how both cope if they get some decent injury numbers like most other AFL Clubs have at present.

I think more kudos to their medical staff maybe.

It’ll be interesting to see what general AFL media the result of the state game gets, if any, considering the new AFL licence granted to Tassie. Win for them potentially suggests they have the depth in their state league, lose and calls that they’re off the pace could ring around the place.

QAFL will absolutely flog them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmania's recent history history at the draft suggests they are miles off the pace tbf. A ridiculous stat came out saying 17% of all AFL listed players are from the Sandringham Dragons (an inflated stat mind you as many of these boys are boarders at local private schools out of Riverina area) and Tasmanians account for 2%

It really is a QAFL rep team regardless of what they say. Otherwise guys like Buzza and Arnold as examples from Lions and Qlders from Sharks like Crossley and Dawson would be in it if were a QLD team
There will be some players not eligible similar to the womens team I think (listed AFLW players + L3 academy girls). If you are NEAFL listed would say not a chance.

One Academy has gone and got a major sponsor the other lives in 70s.

The stand alone clubs will see the benefit of chasing QLD kids as they can play and don't ask for the world.
Williamstown is a great club I watched the Port Melb game, which had a few QLD past players and they didn't look out of place.
How so GK? I do agree that VFL / SANFL clubs will see Qld kids as being very good value but tbf if they are good enough they will then make their pathway from that level you would think.

I think Qld footy would be well pleased with the guys who were drafted (early) last year and the predicted top 20 for 3 Suns boys this year. Compare this to Tasmanian footy it is miles apart.

WTF is he called that for Briz?? Sounds a bit derogatory

One of the originals on the Lions board in the early days was called Special Bruce, an allusion to a now-retired commentator’s tendency to readily use that adjective. No other ulterior motive for the term.

One of the originals on the Lions board in the early days was called Special Bruce, an allusion to a now-retired commentator’s tendency to readily use that adjective. No other ulterior motive for the term.
I'll let him know he got a mention :)

How so GK? I do agree that VFL / SANFL clubs will see Qld kids as being very good value but tbf if they are good enough they will then make their pathway from that level you would think.
Gold Coast have a major sponsor and the lions are just making sure mum and dad pay the rego fees and yes I think you pay to be at the Gold Coast one but getting a sponsor onboard shows they invested in the program.

Some of the feedback players are getting as to why they are missing out I feel is questionable some times.

I have dealt with them this year with my young bloke who is at the elite level for a different sport and I felt they took the easy option.

Gold Coast have a major sponsor and the lions are just making sure mum and dad pay the rego fees and yes I think you pay to be at the Gold Coast one but getting a sponsor onboard shows they invested in the program.

Some of the feedback players are getting as to why they are missing out I feel is questionable some times.

I have dealt with them this year with my young bloke who is at the elite level for a different sport and I felt they took the easy option.
Yeah I think the fee side of things is questionable too - should be a cursory amount I reckon like $100. My experience with the SC arm has been really good bc I think the guy who runs it watches heaps of games and makes good decisions. Overall I think both academies are pretty good and we actually churn out a reasonable number of AFL footballers considering the participation numbers

Qld squad;
wow I cannot believe that some players that were not selected are a fair way in front of some of the players selected !!!I wont go into to much detail but from my club Broady , how Lower and Jelly -Turner were not seleced astounds me. Must say these 2 players should of been selected well before 2 other Broady players that have been named in the squad ,,,
Anyway, the decline in the standard of Tassie footy has been over the past 5 years should see QLD have a big win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back