Autopsy Pies soundly defeated v RIchmond, Rd 21, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

After four full years as coach, surely Buckley's influence and preference is reflected in recruitment of players. You are comparing a coach who could only have had limited input into recruiting against a coach who not only influenced recruiting but also and very publicly player culling - even a club hero such as Heath Shaw. To suggest that Buckley should not take some responsibility for the quality of the playing group is unreasonable. His influence is more evident in player recruitment than was that of Malthouse in his first 2 years at the club.
Ok

Fine include Malthouse's Carlton history. History still shows he is a 3 time premiership coach.

Buckley doesn't have that track history and based on his coaching to date we can't trust him to coach a team through a lean period. Improvements are not being made.
You are right Buckley hasn't been coaching as long as MM. Come back and discuss in 14 years time.

I avoided coming to Big Footy all yesterday because the same panicky hyperbolic posters are out in force.

Yes, they were totally shithouse yesterday but such a loss was always a real possibility with it being the first game where there was no mathematical chance of making finals. Like it or not, a lot of the game is played between the ears and as human beings when hope is lost disaster happens.

One bad loss does not mean everything and everyone is now shit.

Just one week ago we lost narrowly to Sydney in Sydney and should have won. Bad kicking cost us and as soon as the bad kicking started again yesterday we started to mentally unravel.

We still have decent and promising kids and I believe our future is still bright and no different to how bright it looked on Friday. There's lots of work to do for sure but we already knew that.

Unless we are allowed to play robots these sort of losses will occasionally occur. Deal with it.

I avoided coming to Big Footy all yesterday because the same panicky hyperbolic posters are out in force.

Yes, they were totally shithouse yesterday but such a loss was always a real possibility with it being the first game where there was no mathematical chance of making finals. Like it or not, a lot of the game is played between the ears and as human beings when hope is lost disaster happens.

Just one week ago we lost narrowly to Sydney in Sydney and should have won. Bad kicking cost us and as soon as the bad kicking started again yesterday we started to mentally unravel.

We still have decent and promising kids and I believe our future is still bright and no different to how bright it looked on Friday. There's lots of work to do for sure but we already knew that.

Unless we are allowed to play robots these sort of losses will occasionally occur. Deal with it.
Great post but I fear not many will understand it

The foot stomping, whoa-is-me, I want it now, dummy spitters will never get it

Well said

Agree totally with this. While Pendles' comments at the end of the game might have been a little controversial, he is 100% correct if the meaning is taken to be that this game means nothing in terms of the Pies' future trajectory.
Our Final was the Sydney game. We were pumped and full of psychological energy. We were primed and ready to win this game. When we fell so agonizingly short, yet another narrow loss - which killed our finals hopes - this must have been a massive psychological blow to our young, inexperienced guys.
In an ideal world, they would not have succumbed to this psychological setback. But we live in a human world, as Kirby says.
All comparisons with St Kilda are false to the core. St Kilda's young team never had the hope for a Final...every game was the same as every other. They never confronted a Waterloo as we did against Sydney. Their game against Geelong was the same as every other game for them this year.
When considered in this light, we can more sanely appreciate the positive achievements of this year: such close contests with top 4 teams, all with a very young group of players.
This heavy loss to Richmond is meaningless in terms of future prospects for our team.

You are right Buckley hasn't been coaching as long as MM. Come back and discuss in 14 years time.

How bucks is going. He be Lucky to get to 5 years. Yet before we think of getting to 14 Years

Last edited:
Yup, yesterday sucked balls. I was absolutely fuming. I had to avoid coming on here and post on emotion. I understand why everyone does, we love this club and we are so emotionally invested in it, we plan our weekends and organise events around the weekends games (well I do anyway) so when we get a result like yesterday our emotions can get the better of us and it clouds our judgment, thoughts and our reasoning of where we are at.

But in saying that lets all just KEEP THE FAITH. This board is very divided at this present moment in time as we discuss whether Bucks is the right man for the job, fair enough as the jury is still out on him but sacking him now won't achieve anything and a result like yesterday will only put pressure on Bucks and give the doomsayers/media more ammunition. In saying that, everyone needs to realise that a person like Bucks is driven to succeed, yesterday will hurt him. I'm not reading too much into yesterdays result, we have fought so hard the last 2 months and got very little to no reward from it so the boys would be spent. A performance like this was bound to happen especially with the season now over and coming up a side that is fighting for top 4 and tuning up for finals.

The club will do its end of season review, which Neil Balme should head, from there we should learn what went wrong and what went right. IF the club decides that Bucks is/isn't the right man for the job then I will trust their judgment. I can't see a guy like Balmy being a yes man and telling Eddie/Pert/Bucks what they want to hear some home truths will be said and then we attack 2016 and return to finals!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our poor kicking for goals has defined our season.
I lost count this year on the number of occasions we failed to kick crunch goals from simple shots or kick that extra goal that would sink the opposition team.
Our game plan is predictable. Opposition teams run it out through our half forward line and move the ball quickly. This often Results in a score and more times than not a goal against the run of play.
We can't defend, we can't kick and we move the ball slow.
Yesterday I saw our team give up in the last quarter. I can appreciate the tigers are a better team and I didn't expect us to win. What I did expect was our team to fight and never give up.
When teams are or have been 8 goals down against us, they dig deep and fight it out to the last minute and manage to lose by a respectable margin.
We haven't done that for 2 years.

Like most posters on this forum, we all love this club and sometimes our emotions take over when we post.
It's just human nature.

Our poor kicking for goals has defined our season.
I lost count this year on the number of occasions we failed to kick crunch goals from simple shots or kick that extra goal that would sink the opposition team.
Our game plan is predictable. Opposition teams run it out through our half forward line and move the ball quickly. This often Results in a score and more times than not a goal against the run of play.
We can't defend, we can't kick and we move the ball slow.
Yesterday I saw our team give up in the last quarter. I can appreciate the tigers are a better team and I didn't expect us to win. What I did expect was our team to fight and never give up.
When teams are or have been 8 goals down against us, they dig deep and fight it out to the last minute and manage to lose by a respectable margin.
We haven't done that for 2 years.

Like most posters on this forum, we all love this club and sometimes our emotions take over when we post.
It's just human nature.
And those who say we are impatient with the 'young guys' or not recognizing the meaningless nature of yesterday's game, are not looking back through our season (and past seasons) and recognizing the inadequate skills of many of our players. We lack the class and the accuracy by foot to be truly competitive with most sides. Many of our players are simply not good enough to take us to the top of the competition. We need to seriously assess the quality of our players and build our future around the few classy and/or skilled players in our squad.

Yup, yesterday sucked balls. I was absolutely fuming. I had to avoid coming on here and post on emotion. I understand why everyone does, we love this club and we are so emotionally invested in it, we plan our weekends and organise events around the weekends games (well I do anyway) so when we get a result like yesterday our emotions can get the better of us and it clouds our judgment, thoughts and our reasoning of where we are at.

But in saying that lets all just KEEP THE FAITH. This board is very divided at this present moment in time as we discuss whether Bucks is the right man for the job, fair enough as the jury is still out on him but sacking him now won't achieve anything and a result like yesterday will only put pressure on Bucks and give the doomsayers/media more ammunition. In saying that, everyone needs to realise that a person like Bucks is driven to succeed, yesterday will hurt him. I'm not reading too much into yesterdays result, we have fought so hard the last 2 months and got very little to no reward from it so the boys would be spent. A performance like this was bound to happen especially with the season now over and coming up a side that is fighting for top 4 and tuning up for finals.

The club will do its end of season review, which Neil Balme should head, from there we should learn what went wrong and what went right. IF the club decides that Bucks is/isn't the right man for the job then I will trust their judgment. I can't see a guy like Balmy being a yes man and telling Eddie/Pert/Bucks what they want to hear some home truths will be said and then we attack 2016 and return to finals!
Agree, the great irony is as much as the posters here love Collingwood and are invested in Collingwood, Nathan is even more so. His reputation is on the line every week, every season.
He can get kicked around, praised, analysed, scrutinised, stuff made up etc
Yet he has to keep the show on the road.
Ha if a poster gets it wrong, maybe someone will tell them, naybe, then again seriously who cares what any of us say, we're all going to barrack for Collingwood anyway.
Nathan had to achieve regardless - but that's the great challenge which he is better equipped to do than anyone else
By far

It's always interesting to try and break down the different moments of a game rather than just look at it as us getting a 90 points beating and leave it at at.

Yesterday we absolutely killed any chance of us winning the game in the first three quarters. Richmond was converting most of their I50s into goals, even the really hard ones, whereas we were butchering everything going forward. At half time our I50 efficiency was only 36% (meaning out of 36 I50 we only managed to register a shot at goal 13 times), and our shooting accuracy was 23% (3 goals, 10 behinds). Both these numbers are really low overall in the competition and way, way below our usual numbers and

We are already a team running low on confidence and perhaps high on complacency after our run of 'honourable losses', but with this inefficiency we basically made our confidence even lower and everyone started second guessing and doubting their moves which made our already slow game plan even slower. Post that, we just saw Richmond starting to dominate and we gave up defensively, not applying the pressure and intensity that is at the centre of our game plan and hence giving up goal after goal after goal in the last quarter.

I think there are really clear areas for us to work on:

1. Faster rebound and transition play. The Richmond game proved again that we are really poor at getting out of defence. Every game this year we seem to have much less space than the opposition who has space to play uncontested and kill us on the spread. This is to me because we are so slow at transitioning into offence, meaning we never break the opposition's structure apart and we let them regroup and regather at will.

2. Delivery inside 50. Yesterday we registered very little score from our I50 and that was both because our forwards didn't manage to get any separation (Fasolo invisible, and both Cloke and Reid were never seen properly leading for the ball), and because our delivery was poor, usually a slow bomb to a contest where Richmond easily got the ball away and kills us on their rebound.

Now I know there is a big debate on the gameplan. I think we have shown this year that our game plan was good, and held strong against most teams with barely anyone able to tear us apart. Our game plan is also tailored to our playing group, people have to realise we currently do not have as much footballing talent as a lot of the teams we compete against – because of the lack of top picks made available to us in the last 10 years, and when they were available it was because we lost equivalent talent for example with the Beams and Thomas picks – it's clear when Pendles an naturally gifted footballer goes back to the backline he instantly makes the right decisions and makes everything better in our rebound and transition. But our elite natural talent current is limited to Pendles, Swan, Moore, perhaps Elliott, perhaps De Goey and perhaps Scharenberg. Teams like the Dogs, Melbourne, Saints, GWS, GC, Hawthorn, arguably Richmond and Port have more elite talent than we do and it shows. As such it would be pretty stupid of us to try and play and uncontested style like Richmond or Hawthorn plays and the only thing is we need to be capable to play our style consistently across a whole season (this takes a certain level of fitness).

Now here's a break down of our performances in the season so far, forgetting W/L:
Very good performances (6): St Kilda, Essendon 1, Carlton 1, GWS, Fremantle, Hawthorn
Good performances (6): Brisbane, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Melbourne, Port, Sydney
Bad performances (4): Adelaide, Richmond 1, Western Bulldogs, Carlton 2
Very bad performances (4): Geelong 1, West Coast, Melbourne 2, Richmond 2

Try and improve the two points I had above and potentially we end up with a much better W/L ratio, better confidence and better position to improve further next year. Much easier said than done, but let's not forget we haven't been a "90-point-to-Richmond bad" team across the whole season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies soundly defeated v RIchmond, Rd 21, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back