Autopsy Pies soundly defeated v RIchmond, Rd 21, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Went home at the 12 Minute Mark of the Last Qtr because we where utterly Pathatic and I see it got Worse when I left.

Fair enough TD. Long trip home for you.

Collingwood are a good side

We are awesome. We gave your mob a false sense of worth. Now you can go on a lose the one final you'll be part of this year. After your next rebuild you might make a grand final.

At least we will win trelaors signature...

Recruiting is a funny business, it's all about where you fall in the draw and an ounce of luck.
Most recruiters know the rough vest 30 - 50 players.
When we got Grundy at 18 or so it was regarded THEN as the steal of the draft.
When we got Scharenberg if memory serves me correctly, the dogs had a pick prior to us and got the Bont, if they had taken Scahrenberg we'd have got Bont - both clubs at the time were happy.
When we had Josh Fraser as number 1 that year every dog and his bone had him as the clear 1 and it was called the golden spoon for us in getting him.
I'm sure Pavlich was 4 that year.
Seriously if we knew today what we know now Pav would have gone 1.
All you can do is pick the best you can and hope for the best.
If they don't work out move them on. As long as most picks are good.
The 1999 draft is interesting for its selections and order. Josh Fraser was a 'given' as number 1 draft. Fiora at number 3 was a dud, while Roach to us at 7 was a disastrously abysmal selection. A Taswegian with nothing to offer in height, skill, pace or any other measureable aptitude. As opposed to pick 10 for Chris Egan while passing up Jordan Lewis with our original number 10 pick, Josh Fraser at number one seems an inspired selection compared to Roach at 7. He played one or 2 games as a tagger of sorts before Roach's career nosedived into center of the earth territory. McFarlane, Glass and Murphy from 10 to 15 would have been far preferable to the unknown Roach. His selection has to be the worst ever from a;most any recruiter, let alone our own.

1 Josh Fraser Murray Bushrangers Collingwood
Priority 2 Paul Hasleby East Fremantle Fremantle
1 3 Aaron Fiora Port Adelaide Magpies Richmond
1 4 Matthew Pavlich Woodville-West Torrens Fremantle
1 5 Leigh Brown Gippsland Power Fremantle
1 6 Damian Cupido Eastern Ranges Brisbane Lions
1 7 Danny Roach Tassie Mariners Collingwood
1 8 Joel Corey East Perth Geelong
1 9 Caydn Beetham Oakleigh Chargers St Kilda
1 10 Luke McPharlin East Fremantle Hawthorn
1 11 Darren Glass Perth West Coast Eagles
1 12 Paul Koulouriotis Calder Cannons Port Adelaide
1 13 Robert Murphy Gippsland Power Western Bulldogs
1 14 Travis Gaspar South Fremantle West Coast Eagles
1 15 David Spriggs Prahran Dragons Geelong
1 16 David Haynes Geelong Falcons West Coast Eagles
1 17 Ezra Bray Calder Cannons Geelong
2 18 (F/S) Rhyce Shaw Preston Knights Collingwood
2 19 Brad Green Tassie Mariners Melbourne
2 20 Paul Wheatley Preston Knights Melbourne

Last edited:
The 1999 draft is interesting for its selections and order. Josh Fraser was a 'given' as number 1 draft. Fiora at number 3 was a dud, while Roach to us at 7 was a disastrously abysmal selection. A Taswegian with nothing to offer in height, skill, pace or any other measureable aptitude. Along with pick 10 for Chris Egan while passing up Jordan Lewis with our original number 10 pick, Josh Fraser at number one seems an inspired selection compared to Roach at 7. He played one or 2 games as a tagger of sorts before Roach's career nosedived into center of the earth territory. McFarlane, Glass and Murphy from 10 to 15 would have been far preferable to the unknown Roach. His selection has to be the worst ever from a;most any recruiter, let alone our own.

1 Josh Fraser Murray Bushrangers Collingwood
Priority 2 Paul Hasleby East Fremantle Fremantle
1 3 Aaron Fiora Port Adelaide Magpies Richmond
1 4 Matthew Pavlich Woodville-West Torrens Fremantle
1 5 Leigh Brown Gippsland Power Fremantle
1 6 Damian Cupido Eastern Ranges Brisbane Lions
1 7 Danny Roach Tassie Mariners Collingwood
1 8 Joel Corey East Perth Geelong
1 9 Caydn Beetham Oakleigh Chargers St Kilda
1 10 Luke McPharlin East Fremantle Hawthorn
1 11 Darren Glass Perth West Coast Eagles
1 12 Paul Koulouriotis Calder Cannons Port Adelaide
1 13 Robert Murphy Gippsland Power Western Bulldogs
1 14 Travis Gaspar South Fremantle West Coast Eagles
1 15 David Spriggs Prahran Dragons Geelong
1 16 David Haynes Geelong Falcons West Coast Eagles
1 17 Ezra Bray Calder Cannons Geelong
2 18 (F/S) Rhyce Shaw Preston Knights Collingwood
2 19 Brad Green Tassie Mariners Melbourne
2 20 Paul Wheatley Preston Knights Melbourne

Quite amazing, hindsight. Agree Roach was not good. Ah, Pavlich, the one I can never forget. Imagine we had him and Cloke.
But probably most sides have those missed picks.
Still, Melbourne all those picks over the years, not much development

Quite amazing, hindsight. Agree Roach was not good. Ah, Pavlich, the one I can never forget. Imagine we had him and Cloke.
But probably most sides have those missed picks.
Still, Melbourne all those picks over the years, not much development
I guess the selectors you most want picking for your team and its future are those who don't need the benefit of hindsight to to be correct with their selections. I guess that is why the best of these selectors are highly sought after and paid good money. Perhaps that also explains why the least talented of the football soothsayers are disposed of early by the better clubs and all too late by the least successful teams. It's all a question of quality and the ability to recognise it, but if you want to rely on hindsight, let your judgement outrank mine and lets just move on, as hopefully, will the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the selectors you most want picking for your team and its future are those who don't need the benefit of hindsight to to be correct with their selections. I guess that is why the best of these selectors are highly sought after and paid good money. Perhaps that also explains why the least talented of the football soothsayers are disposed of early by the better clubs and all too late by the least successful teams. It's all a question of quality and the ability to recognise it, but if you want to rely on hindsight, let your judgement outrank mine and lets just move on, as hopefully, will the team.
That's why Derek Hine is very well regarded as is Matt rendell - and Graeme wright at hawthorn, but when you win flags you always look good.

That's why Derek Hine is very well regarded as is Matt rendell - and Graeme wright at hawthorn, but when you win flags you always look good.
But when you win flags you produce the evidence of the success of your recruitment. And when you finish in the lower third of the competition, people start to question if you got the best or the lest of the available talent.

Pressure is now on Hine big time.
I'd think the pressure is on the players.
Derek has to use mid picks, trade for picks and make the best with what number comes up.
Hawthorns great luck is they had / have the best list when Gold Coast and gas came in as they got all the cream young players meaning other sides couldn't change their list with the best juniors

But when you win flags you produce the evidence of the success of your recruitment. And when you finish in the lower third of the competition, people start to question if you got the best or the lest of the available talent.
Whoever wins flags gets all the kudos.
Hawthorn was built on Roughead and franklin (though franklin wince gone)
But it want that long ago hawthorn was herring with Melbourne
Swings and roundabouts
The biggest reason hawthorn has stayed in front these last few years is that the new sides got bulk young players and other teams have had to tread after with the mid pick players.
But when you win you can boast that your system is better than anyone else.

Swings and roundabouts
The biggest reason hawthorn has stayed in front these last few years is that the new sides got bulk young players and other teams have had to tread after with the mid pick players.
Hawthorn are best known for only recruiting players who can kick, preferably elite left foot players. I wouldn't be altogether unhappy if Hine and Co had followed a similar strategy hot on the heal of the pees and poos, but they didn't.

Kicking accurately and disposal accuracy absolutely agree

Hawthorn are best known for only recruiting players who can kick, preferably elite left foot players. I wouldn't be altogether unhappy if Hine and Co had followed a similar strategy hot on the heal of the pees and poos, but they didn't.
Yes accuracy would be very very helpful - agree
But I do notice hen hawthorn are put under pressure even their accuracy can falter a bit, though less than other teams.
Is bill Collins available (the accurate one).?

Swings and roundabouts
When you win you can use any means to justify your achievements , when you lose more often than not all your excuses come across as pathetic.
And no amount of nicely put, well said, great post spam is going to change that :)

When you win you can use any means to justify your achievements , when you lose more often than not all your excuses come across as pathetic.
And no amount of nicely put, well said, great post spam is going to change that :)
Ok sounds a nicely put post

Yes accuracy would be very very helpful - agree
But I do notice hen hawthorn are put under pressure even their accuracy can falter a bit, though less than other teams.
Is bill Collins available (the accurate one).?
Accuracy is not a knee jerk reaction to a loss. It is a problem that has plagued us as long as I can recall, namely recruiting player after player unable to hit a fellow teammate on the full or pierce the middle sticks with an inflated oval ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies soundly defeated v RIchmond, Rd 21, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back