Autopsy Pies soundly defeated v RIchmond, Rd 21, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

That game started by boring me, went on to disappoint and infuriate me, and ended up making me miserable.

I don't think I've ever felt so bad after a loss, and I've no idea how we can play with so little skill, so little spirit.

It looks like it's too late to reskill some of our players, and it'll take a few years to get the newbies where we need them to be. So as someone said above, we're wasting the best years of our best players.:cry:

I doubt that Cloke will improve at this stage, or even get back to his best; so maybe the suggestion that he be traded while still valuable is reasonable. Despite his marking ability and his usefulness around the ground, he's there to score goals, and we're getting a poor return on our investment.

It's clear also that the team lacks leadership, and the next generation of natural leaders won't be ready for a while. How do we fix this?

And finally - the umpires - Oh God, I could drink hot blood! :mad::mad::mad: I know it's a hard game to umpire, but it seems to be particularly hard to umpire when we play, and I'm sick of it. It's genuinely turning me off going to games, because I'm old and fragile, and getting really fracking angry is bad for me. :drunk:

Nicely put.
Sorry about the drinking blood.
I don't like using umpires as any excuse and they were not the reason today.
BUT
Is there a special rule, been running for about 10 years, that up to and including three players can hang onto Cloke without penalty. If Cloke should make any contact with opponent, accidental or incidental, then free kick must be played immediately. Umpires shall stop game and go to umpire review in case any such contact may have been made in any way,
Cloke shall only receive a free kick if he is beaten to a pulp, but there must be four players doing such beatings.

Seriously,did you have to put that on.
Real class.
Go back to your hillbilly people.
Red card no doubt, but looks like avatar set up just for such things.
Classy

And it would turn over the players without questioning why or who recruited them in the first place.
Recruiting is a funny business, it's all about where you fall in the draw and an ounce of luck.
Most recruiters know the rough vest 30 - 50 players.
When we got Grundy at 18 or so it was regarded THEN as the steal of the draft.
When we got Scharenberg if memory serves me correctly, the dogs had a pick prior to us and got the Bont, if they had taken Scahrenberg we'd have got Bont - both clubs at the time were happy.
When we had Josh Fraser as number 1 that year every dog and his bone had him as the clear 1 and it was called the golden spoon for us in getting him.
I'm sure Pavlich was 4 that year.
Seriously if we knew today what we know now Pav would have gone 1.
All you can do is pick the best you can and hope for the best.
If they don't work out move them on. As long as most picks are good.

Recruiting is a funny business, it's all about where you fall in the draw and an ounce of luck.
Most recruiters know the rough vest 30 - 50 players.
When we got Grundy at 18 or so it was regarded THEN as the steal of the draft.
When we got Scharenberg if memory serves me correctly, the dogs had a pick prior to us and got the Bont, if they had taken Scahrenberg we'd have got Bont - both clubs at the time were happy.
When we had Josh Fraser as number 1 that year every dog and his bone had him as the clear 1 and it was called the golden spoon for us in getting him.
I'm sure Pavlich was 4 that year.
Seriously if we knew today what we know now Pav would have gone 1.
All you can do is pick the best you can and hope for the best.
If they don't work out move them on. As long as most picks are good.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing!

It shows that the game plan is wrong.

There wasn't anything wrong with the game plan when we almost beat Sydney in Sydney, Freo at Freo and the Hawks.

The game plan is fine and has shown to work during the first half of last year before injuries smashed us. This year it worked again until we forgot how to kick straight at goal and lost a bunch of close games before lost our confidence and have ended up where we are today

The one reason we lost all of those close games was goal kicking inaccuracy. The same reason why the game was over at half time today. If we kick like an AFL player should then we wouldve been down by 1-2 goals at half time and still in the game. After that they gave up.

And very liberating

Imagine

Josh Fraser No but Matthew Pavlich Yes

Josh was alright - how about we hold onto pick 3, 1999 instead of trading for pick 7 & Steve McKee? Get Pavlich then, don't get McKee and don't get Danny Roach.... ;)

There wasn't anything wrong with the game plan when we almost beat Sydney in Sydney, Freo at Freo and the Hawks.

The game plan is fine and has shown to work during the first half of last year before injuries smashed us. This year it worked again until we forgot how to kick straight at goal and lost a bunch of close games before lost our confidence and have ended up where we are today

The one reason we lost all of those close games was goal kicking inaccuracy. The same reason why the game was over at half time today. If we kick like an AFL player should then we wouldve been down by 1-2 goals at half time and still in the game. After that they gave up.

You make sense
This is basically it in a nutshell
Football is a bruising business, but we'll get there I'm sure in time

Rubbish. We got obliterated because our players are not as skilful or clever as they need to be to succeed at this level of competitive footy.We have Moore, Pendlebury, Swan and a few other talented players, but too many players lacking basic skills and football smarts. Some of the players on who we pinned our future are displaying vulnerabilities that mock their AFL pretensions. We did not lose because we are young. We lost because our players are B- and C rather than A and B class. We are closer to 'shit' than we are to 'young'.

Cloke epitomises our mediocrity, unable to nail a bread and butter goal. Sell him while he has currency for someone relatively not too old and not entirely untalented. If any top teams need a power forward to achieve ultimate success, let Cloke be that person. Just give us a year in the wilderness and something malleable and young in exchange.

If Frost, Adams, Greenwood,Toovey and Sinclair have any currency value, sell them too. Same for Williams and Langdon who lack the talent by brain and foot to be class players. There are others as overrated and more than my shares. Dump them and start anew.

I returned today after 3 months away from a sharp media broadcast, and Channel 7's delayed broadcast gave me the time required to assess the quality of our current outfit.

Where is the number 5 pick Grundy over whom we have communally salivated? Smashed by Maric from what I can see. It was all downhill from the center bounces.

WE are a bottom 4 team.

Agree with most of this.
I Said in the halfway point thread that we could lose all the remaining games, I could see that our skills and decision making were poor.

We gave Malthouse 10 years. We are starting to see that alot of our players are currently not what we hoped they would be, if the club also comes to this conclusion then I can see Buckley being given more time than just next year.

Josh was alright - how about we hold onto pick 3, 1999 instead of trading for pick 7 & Steve McKee? Get Pavlich then, don't get McKee and don't get Danny Roach.... ;)
Wow! Forgot about that, I'm going to have nightmares tonight.
Agree Josh was a good commendable player, but the whole Pavlich thing.
But now, help..... I forgot all about our dealings then, yes Pav not McKee Roach.
Imagine Pav with Cloke, yep we probably win 2011 and maybe even 2002

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! Forgot about that, I'm going to have nightmares tonight.
Agree Josh was a good commendable player, but the whole Pavlich thing.
But now, help..... I forgot all about our dealings then, yes Pav not McKee Roach.
I,agile Pav with Cloke, yep we probably win 2011 and maybe even 2002

Hard to say how much better we would have been, but he would have helped. Anyway we can't forget all of the good times we've had over the last ~13 years... there have been plenty... which is why I find it funny where Richmond ferals are digging into us today, they've had nothing at all to celebrate!

Not really. Those piss weak efforts to....tackle(?) Cotchin were just deplorable. People talk like he's an elite user of the ball. That's quite a stretch. He's just an ok kick. Probably made to look better by the likes of Toovey, Brown, Frost etc. who are terrible disposers.
Might be harsh, but I reckon I ive seen enough to say he wont be much good - for a kid with size hes pretty soft

Buckley sAid after the game that the players didn't trust or believe in the gameplan. Is t that an indictment in the faith of the coach.

Just for some context though, he said that in relation to the last quarter.

The point being having been fairly even with clearances and I-50s to 3qt but still being well behind and following a string of losses; his view was that it resulted in players trying something different (be that trying to do too much, focusing only on their direct opponent, etc). In effect, as a result of a lack of reward for effort, they didn't have the same resolve (trust, by in) to keep sticking with the gameplan.

Maybe it's an interesting reflection point for us all. It was a horrific loss (our worst in a long time), but we also just saw - in devastating fashion - what happens when pressure leads to panicking and then leads to deviations from gameplans (or long term strategy).

We gave Malthouse 10 years. We are starting to see that alot of our players are currently not what we hoped they would be, if the club also comes to this conclusion then I can see Buckley being given more time than just next year.
Malthouse inherited a bottom place team and in 4 years got the team into 2 consecutive grand finals that on talent we probably had no business being in.

It was this (and his past history at Footscray and West coast) that earnt him a lot of credit that allowed him to continue despite the following bad years in 2004-2006.

Bucks has not shown any improvement anywhere in the team and he doesn't have the proven record like Malthouse did that you could back him in during a lean period.

And the fact that he was handed a top 2 team with the best players in the primes of their career makes his coaching currency even worse imo given how much we have fallen away since 2011.

Forst, Maynard and Toovey are shit. Always have been, always will be. It's obviously going to take a long time for people to see this. Having said that, our defensive "structures", if you can call them that, are essentially retarted. I'm still not sure why our defenders (I assume) are instructed NOT to play on their man.
Great call on Maynard playing as an 18 year old in his seventh game. No wonder I have you on Ignore.

Leigh Matthews said during the week that sacking the coach is the only thing a club can do to get a fresh start. He said it doesn't cure anything but it appeases the media and it gives some supporters renewed hope.
My question would be...why are pies supporters supporting the media to white ant our coach?
It will happen in its own time anyway....the media will never stop looking (or trying to create) that next "Magpie Explosion"

Yet here we sit, failing to see that no matter how good the coach is (How's Roosey going? Has Rossie Lyon ever won a flag despite inheriting 3 GF teams? Bomber loves coaching so much he's said he'll never do it again)....it doesn't matter how good the coach is: "You can't pull your socks up if you're not wearing any..."

So keep banging away keyboard warriors....keep degrading the club and our coach. I don't care if it's Bucks or Tony Shaw all over again...while the great Magpie Army allows ourselves to pick fights amongst ourselves....we give the media all the ammunition it needs to wage it's anti-magpie campaign. It's only when we all stand together that footy people and the media really worry about us.

Carn the PIES.

Buckley sAid after the game that the players didn't trust or believe in the gameplan. Is t that an indictment in the faith of the coach.

What a laugh. Buckley needs to understand that games are dynamic and variables are constantly changing. It's up to the players to make educated decisions based on what they think is the right thing to do, not just kick it that way because its part of our 'structure'

Leigh Matthews said during the week that sacking the coach is the only thing a club can do to get a fresh start. He said it doesn't cure anything but it appeases the media and it gives some supporters renewed hope.
My question would be...why are pies supporters supporting the media to white ant our coach?
It will happen in its own time anyway....the media will never stop looking (or trying to create) that next "Magpie Explosion"

Yet here we sit, failing to see that no matter how good the coach is (How's Roosey going? Has Rossie Lyon ever won a flag despite inheriting 3 GF teams? Bomber loves coaching so much he's said he'll never do it again)....it doesn't matter how good the coach is: "You can't pull your socks up if you're not wearing any..."

So keep banging away keyboard warriors....keep degrading the club and our coach. I don't care if it's Bucks or Tony Shaw all over again...while the great Magpie Army allows ourselves to pick fights amongst ourselves....we give the media all the ammunition it needs to wage it's anti-magpie campaign. It's only when we all stand together that footy people and the media really worry about us.

Carn the PIES.

What makes you so High and Mighty having a go at Other Pie Fans:rolleyes:

And the fact that he was handed a top 2 team with the best players in the primes of their career makes his coaching currency even worse imo given how much we have fallen away since 2011.

:drunk:

Malthouse was handed a team pushing for finals and took them to dead last in two years. Maybe AFL is just a bit more complicated than who is the coach, no?

Malthouse inherited a bottom place team and in 4 years got the team into 2 consecutive grand finals that on talent we probably had no business being in.

It was this (and his past history at Footscray and West coast) that earnt him a lot of credit that allowed him to continue despite the following bad years in 2004-2006.

Bucks has not shown any improvement anywhere in the team and he doesn't have the proven record like Malthouse did that you could back him in during a lean period.

If you are going to discuss Malthouse's history why have you not mentioned his time at Carlton?
Following the very bad years of 2004/5 it took him another 5 years.
Ain't history great.

Reality check. We are now officially a long way behind the teams contending for finals. We can now be fairly sure we have gone backwards from even 2014. Buckley as much as I love now comes under serious questioning. Going backwards 4 successive years is getting harder to justify. Unfortunately our kids are just good not great. Lots of work to be done.

Look we had a good day out but don't be too disheartened really, Collingwood always find a way, more good players will come to you, and at the end of the day not only did we have a good day, you guys had thrown in the towel as the season is over.
You matched it with the best teams when the season was still alive for you and got a bit unlucky.
Pack it in and get ready for 2016, you guys will be a good side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies soundly defeated v RIchmond, Rd 21, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back