Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Parker is gettable. Yes, he’s old and yes, youd prob have to pay overs - but he’s precisely the kinda guy they need.

Luke Parker is gettable. Yes, he’s old and yes, youd prob have to pay overs - but he’s precisely the kinda guy they need.
I don’t see Parker as a guy ready to give up hope on another flag.

Contract till 25 and seems on the outer. If you can add a year on top and coaching on the back end, he’d be mad to say no.
It’s not easy to step away from a premiership window. Unless the Swans actively push him out I just don’t see it happening.

I’d personally say a side like the Bulldogs where they are a bit more at the crossroads seems like a more likely spot to try and pick up some senior players.

GWS did the same initially too, rather than going down the GC sugar hit route (i.e Ablett). North need to look at their 2025 first rounder and look to add 3-4 really solid players, that will be better than any draft pick.
GWS were smart looking back at it. Yes McDonald, Brogan and Chad Cornes hanged around for 1 or 2 seasons each. But you needed those types.

I wished a 32 year old Lenny Hayes was allowed to join them at the end of 2011. He would of been the perfect veteran to work around with for 2 or 3 seasons. Just like Ross Glendinning at the west coast eagles in their 1st couple of seasons.

Plus Lenny Hayes was a NSW product too.

I wouldn't say gold coast went with the sugar hit.

Suns traded in Rischitelli and Jared Brennan from Brisbane. Both blokes had 6 seasons and 100 games each at Brisbane. Both were in that desirable prime age of 24-27 years old too. Same with Campbell Brown from the hawks.

That looked good in theory... 50 players in the squad. 8 of them players from other clubs in which 5 or 6 of them were in that 24-29 year old bracket.

The rest of the squad were teenagers. Everyone assumed that once the 18-20 year old kids the suns got in the 2010 draft, were gonna make finals and dominate the AFL by 2015 as 23-25 year Olds. It didn't happen.

Demons got out of the mire when Roos came in and made some moves. Bringing in Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross were 2 great moves and then each year tried to bring in a experienced body from somewhere. Lumumba was a good pickup for setting standards at the time as was Lewis.

Rather then a Daniel Cross, North went for a Dylan Stephens instead and this doesnt work. They also tried to be cute and clever hoping Pink/Nigou might be some form of long term player somehow instead of the smarter move of bringing in Joel Hamling to lead the defense.

Overall I think North need AFL experience. Id be tapping on Jack Macrae, Nick Haynes, Caleb Daniels doors as well as looking at a cheaper veteran get like a Rory Laird or Ollie Wines

Id want Haynes, Daniel and Laird myself. Will cost a packet of chips between them all but Haynes wll give leadership down back, Laird in the middle and Daniel up forward
No way would Rory Laird or Ollie wines would join North Melbourne.

A Travis Boak would be possible for a year or 2 despite his age.

If not North Melbourne might as well follow the youth path and get another batch of 18-21 year olds

Blind Freddy can tell you they need two things. Quality experience and talls. Trade down, take best young tall in draft and trade future picks for experience.

But, in typical fashion, they’ll enter the draft with pick 1 and posture for weeks about how they can’t see value to split and move down, take another midfielder and complain next year when it doesn’t work.
Ok well that's nice to see your post. But who in the right mind would join North Melbourne, a club that has been terrible since round 1 of 2020?
Every other club was furious about the latest round of prop them up handouts given to North. Can't go on rewarding complete list management and drafting incompetence/idiocy. There won't be any more largesse coming North's way.

On the importance to the AFL scale, North are 19th, behind even Tasmania. Limited supporter base and not attracting new supporters, no TV appeal, exist in the overcrowded Melbourne market, pesky bye starting in 2028.

1996 is a long time ago but there would be quiet discussions about the elephant in the room I'm sure.
North Melbourne won't merge or relocate or die off. North Melbourne will stay and be around.
Harley Reid should be there. North would be in a really positive place right now if they dropped that game end of last year.
Yes that true.
Trading 2019 pick 8 (C. Serong) for Melbourne's 2020 first (Tom Powell) and change probably hurts a bit as well. Why was that done?
I don't know. I do like Serong. Tom Powell is a solid mid.

Fair, but very risky considering they made a prelim the year before. Most teams were reluctant to trade for WCE F1 last year despite them being a bottom three lock.

That being said, no one could have predicted the abysmal 2020 draft.
How was the 2020 draft abysmal? Dockers did well in that draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But surely Buddy was a RFA. Hawks could have matched the offer and forced the Giants to trade like Geelong did for Danger. That is the mechanism that ensures that a team doesn't get dudded in free agency by a superstar leaving.
We got led to believe that compensation might have hit the "anomalous result" threshold. And Swans used COLA money which we did not have ability to match (neither amount or length)

But surely Buddy was a RFA. Hawks could have matched the offer and forced the Giants to trade like Geelong did for Danger. That is the mechanism that ensures that a team doesn't get dudded in free agency by a superstar leaving.

I actually remember this time well.

It had never been done before so there was uncertainty from everyone about how the system worked.

Then, Swans made noises that if we matched, they’d walk away. You also couldn’t trade future picks at that time, meaning we would have had to figure out an end of first + random picks.

Finally, the AFL had to change the rules after as the Swans were certain they could offer 10 mill over 10 and then restructure later . AFL came to table later and said every single year was guaranteed - even if he retired.

Ok well that's nice to see your post. But who in the right mind would join North Melbourne, a club that has been terrible since round 1 of 2020?
Round 3 of 2020, thank you very much.

We won the first two games of that season, and was only percentage off top spot.

Seems a very, very long time ago.

I actually remember this time well.

It had never been done before so there was uncertainty from everyone about how the system worked.

Then, Swans made noises that if we matched, they’d walk away. You also couldn’t trade future picks at that time, meaning we would have had to figure out an end of first + random picks.

Finally, the AFL had to change the rules after as the Swans were certain they could offer 10 mill over 10 and then restructure later . AFL came to table later and said every single year was guaranteed - even if he retired.

Dont worry we were punished for that deal many times over.

Generally believe they could be the 14th club since 1964 to have a winless season

That being said in no way do extra draft picks fix the situation.
Maybe they get a priority pick with the following conditions "Must be used on a genuinely good mature key defender - that is at least 25% than Aidan Corr"

Did Swans use cola money for Kurt Tippett? Oh I wanna hear your views on this....
I think so. It was a larger salary cap. I recall that after buddy the cola got pulled as afl were pissed that buddy was not going to gws

What happened to that tall bloke north got in the mid season draft a few years ago? Was pick 1.

Cant remember his name but remember some people banging on about him being a star etc etc.

Never heard anything since.
His stats looked better pre draft as he dominated against kids half his height in high school and u18 as a 19 year old and could barely touch the ball in the vfl for 2 years.
Now he plays for some team in the south eastern league, forget the name but it starts with C.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back