Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 290 74.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's a big call, although it depends on who is rating him at what level. Blues fans probably overrate him sure but the kid is certainly talented.

Daicos & Walsh to me are very different players FWIW, I wouldn't even compare them.
Shhhh! I know, but there have been a lot of very cocky Carlton supporters in this thread completely denigrating Nick.

But when the game was there to be won tonight, Walsh took a powder, and Nick won the game for Collingwood.

Walsh is severely overrated.
Walsh is a gun. He has Nicks ball winning ability and work rate but lacks the polish and smarts that Nick has.
There’s no shame in that. Nicks the best.
A fantastic player and a bloke to build a team around and rely on to perform for the next decade.

IMO that’s an absolutely shocking take.

Not sure there are many better creators in the game.
How many hardball gets? He's not starting plays from the scrum; he's the guy who gets the ball from the guy who bashes and crashes at the coalface. He floats around the pack because it suits his strengths. That doesn't mean he's less valuable than the guy getting dirty and doing that hard physical work.

He's one of the best players in the game. But this thread is about being the GOAT. That's a different discussion.

He's a connector, not a creator nor a finisher. He's the one who gets the ball from the guy who gets the hardball and gives it to the outside mid. He's a vital link in the scoring chain.

He's often the one who gets thrown into the guts if they need to win the game.
Still has a lightly built frame so as he strengthens his core over the next few seasons, he will start amassing ridiculous contested numbers to go along with what is already natural to him.

How many hardball gets? He's not starting plays from the scrum; he's the guy who gets the ball from the guy who bashes and crashes at the coalface. He floats around the pack because it suits his strengths. That doesn't mean he's less valuable than the guy getting dirty and doing that hard physical work.

He's one of the best players in the game. But this thread is about being the GOAT. That's a different discussion.

Is the person who bashes and crashes at the coal face the creator?

Personally I think they’re the grunt.

And I’m definitely not saying Daicos will be the GOAT. I think the whole topic is asinine.

But assuming you are saying the GOAT has to be that type of player… of recent midfielders who is the GOAT playing that style?

Last edited:
He's often the one who gets thrown into the guts if they need to win the game.
Still has a lightly built frame so as he strengthens his core over the next few seasons, he will start amassing ridiculous contested ball numbers.

You don’t want him to be too inside the contest though.

Ablett went 4000 contested v 4898 uncontested for his career. With the greatest discrepancy to the contested coming whilst he was a forward in his early years.

Cousins, who I also think Daicos plays like, went 2036 contested v 3128 uncontested.

Ablett went 4000 contested v 4898 uncontested. With the greatest discrepancy to the contested coming whilst he was a forward in his early years.

Cousins went 2036 contested v 3128 uncontested.

True.
The thing he has in his favor is learning from Pendlebury while still a damn fine player at 36.
Once Pendlebury hangs up the boots, you pretty much have the perfect prototype for today's midfielder. A goal kicking mid capable of going back with his on field leadership qualities.

Is the person who bashes and crashes at the coal face the creator?

Personally I think they’re the grunt.

And I’m definitely not saying Daicos will be the GOAT. I think the whole topic is asinine.

But assuming you are saying the GOAT has to be that type of player… of recent midfielders is the GOAT playing that style?
Semantics. The play starts when your team gets the ball from the contest. You have to win the ball first to use the ball.

I never said the GOAT has to be a certain type of player. I was describing Daicos' limitations and why I think he won't be the GOAT.

Ablett went 4000 contested v 4898 uncontested for his career. With the greatest discrepancy to the contested coming whilst he was a forward in his early years.

Cousins, who I also think Daicos plays like, went 2036 contested v 3128 uncontested.

If you're referring to Contested Possessions then the stats say that only 28.7% of his career possessions are Contested. That being said, tonight 50% of his possessions were Contested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will have plenty of scratches tonight. 16 contested, 7 clearances and 7 tackles. He can win the ball inside and outside.
Nah, that must be Trump style fake news. We have been told by esteemed anonymous posters that he cant win his own ball and doesn’t like body contact.

People think because he isnt at the bottom of the pack being dived upon is evidence that he doesnt try and win the ball. Its not his fault that he’s too quick and skilful for his idiot opponents to be tackled.

View attachment 1978492

Terrible take. He is most definitely a creator and a finisher.

Semantics. Depends on how you define "create" and "finish."

Everyone is a creator and a finisher at some point during play. Doesn't mean they do each equally, or one more than the other. Depends on a player's role.

Daicos' role around the stoppage is to receive the ball from the crash-and-bash physical hardball getters and use his exceptional skills to deliver the ball to whoever is open. A winger, another rover, the ruck, a lead-up forward, a defender on the attack.

That doesn't mean he's less valuable than the hardball getters. Just means he's not typically at the start of the supply chain at stoppages. Collingwood's plan isn't for Nick to gain possession via hardball gets around stoppages. That would be a misuse of his talents. Loose ball gets? Sure. And in that sense, he creates like every other player around the ground. But that's not what's being discussed.

Not damaging enough to be the GOAT. More like one of the top players in his era type. Lacks strength, speed, and power compared to true line breakers and those that can break or stand up in tackles. Doesn't have excessive size to make up for his lack of explosion compared to other GOAT candidates.
Doesn’t have speed? You are either trolling or don’t watch many games.

Semantics. Depends on how you define "create" and "finish."

Everyone is a creator and a finisher at some point during play. Doesn't mean they do each equally, or one more than the other. Depends on a player's role.

Daicos' role around the stoppage is to receive the ball from the crash-and-bash physical hardball getters and use his exceptional skills to deliver the ball to whoever is open. A winger, another rover, the ruck, a lead-up forward, a defender on the attack.

That doesn't mean he's less valuable than the hardball getters. Just means he's not typically at the start of the supply chain at stoppages. Collingwood's plan isn't for Nick to gain possession via hardball gets around stoppages. That would be a misuse of his talents. Loose ball gets? Sure. And in that sense, he creates like every other player around the ground. But that's not what's being discussed.

You do realise your forming an argument that he doesn’t win the ball after a game where he literally won his own ball 16 times.

You clearly haven’t seen enough of him. Your assessment is so far off the mark. I’d suggest drinking less.

You do realise your forming an argument that he doesn’t win the ball after a game where he literally won his own ball 16 times.

You clearly haven’t seen enough of him. Your assessment is so far off the mark. I’d suggest drinking less.
It's how he wins the ball. I put the important part in italics so you don't miss it.

If you're referring to Contested Possessions then the stats say that only 28.7% of his career possessions are Contested. That being said, tonight 50% of his possessions were Contested.
Maybe he should get 10 fewer possessions a game, including a couple fewer contested, so as he has a higher percentage of contested possessions to please the BigFooty masses...

Back