NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinglake 0-5 against the top 5 sides away from Kinglake says it all really.

Laurimar in the box seat but Mernda and Old Eltham know they can beat them on their day.
10571z very true but I think NFNL would be happy to have them back in the league.
Had Laurimar as favourites pre-season and it’s there’s to lose
If, and it’s an if they win, they will acquit themselves well in Division 2
Mernda might be ok in division 2, old Eltham would struggle

10571z very true but I think NFNL would be happy to have them back in the league.
Had Laurimar as favourites pre-season and it’s there’s to lose
If, and it’s an if they win, they will acquit themselves well in Division 2
Mernda might be ok in division 2, old Eltham would struggle
As would Kinglake

Kinglake may be an interesting watch next season. With quite a few older players on there list it will be interesting to see if they all come back next year.
ive been thinking this for the last 6-8 weeks, coach not re signed either yet and from all reports is unlikely to.

Kinglake may be an interesting watch next season. With quite a few older players on there list it will be interesting to see if they all come back next year.
Isnt this their first year in NFL?

Hows everone feeling about Ivanhoe coming into Div 3 in 2024

can see them coming into the nfnl in a better position than turtles were and also with a very strong junior base. Will affect Banyule and Heidelbergs ability to get juniors across to them as the NFNL point of difference. Ivanhoe could easily rise as quickly as Banyule did or at least be a competitive div 2 outfit in the near future similar to South Morang and St Marys.

Mernda and Laurimar would both want to hope they get out of division 3 this year because it will only get harder.

Rusted nuts agree, they older players like Adams (who has retired), Douglas, Gilbert will be interesting watch for Kinglake
As will be the coach if he goes around again.
They do have a good young core group but will need to recruit a key forward and ruckman to improve on this year.
Question will be there depth as their 2’s were only ok

From and Ivanhoe point of view I would be VERY, VERY happy to play finals in our first year Brainy, that would be a great effort. We think we will be stronger next year with our thirds (open age group not 19's) joining our seniors/res and pick up a couple who we can pay, but we have just finished last in what is basically division 4 ammos :) . We will need a few over the off season to join us so I see our build similar to the Turtles when they came across at this stage.

Chump.

can see them coming into the nfnl in a better position than turtles were and also with a very strong junior base. Will affect Banyule and Heidelbergs ability to get juniors across to them as the NFNL point of difference. Ivanhoe could easily rise as quickly as Banyule did or at least be a competitive div 2 outfit in the near future similar to South Morang and St Marys.

Mernda and Laurimar would both want to hope they get out of division 3 this year because it will only get harder.

Dont think it will be as fast as Banyule, but will have opportunities in the years to come to hopefully get to 2nd Division and compete. It will take some time as many juniors (and current players) will want to play 1st division/earn more $$, so I think it will be slower than people might suggest. The key thing is (and the reason why the club voted to move) was it gives us a new opportunity to try and survive/grow that we dont have in the VAFA right now.

Chump.

If Ivanhoe and the rumours about parade true laurimar better bloody hope they win the flag this year cause them two sides will make the competition a whole lot harder to win next season

If Ivanhoe and the rumours about parade true laurimar better bloody hope they win the flag this year cause them two sides will make the competition a whole lot harder to win next season
Fair to say the pressures on a few clubs not just laurimar.
If anything having the likes of Ivanhoe & Parade enter divison 3 only makes winning the premiership even more valuable.
It will also close the gap between divison 2 & 3.
Either way it's a win win for all clubs & Northern Football league.

Fair to say the pressures on a few clubs not just laurimar.
If anything having the likes of Ivanhoe & Parade enter divison 3 only makes winning the premiership even more valuable.
It will also close the gap between divison 2 & 3.
Either way it's a win win for all clubs & Northern Football league.
For sure it'll improve the whole nfnl, Both teams have 4 sides could nfnl throw up a thirds comp aswell? Op and hoes have 1 would the comp only need to find another 4-6 sides ? Just food for thought

For sure it'll improve the whole nfnl, Both teams have 4 sides could nfnl throw up a thirds comp aswell? Op and hoes have 1 would the comp only need to find another 4-6 sides ? Just food for thought
A 3rds comp would destroy sides across the NFNL battling to fill reserves sides. Eg lalor, Northcote park, Bundoora etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 3rds comp would destroy sides across the NFNL battling to fill reserves sides. Eg lalor, Northcote park, Bundoora etc
Ahhh, they don't have to join it. It can be for sides like laurimar who I know have 20+ missing out on a game every week just have a 3s comp filled with teams all from the nfnl so laurimar v maybe a greenzy considering they have two under 19s teams in a few years will have endless players missing out for a twos game

Season review
4. Kinglake 12-4, lost first semi to Old Eltham
Pre-season prediction: 4th
End of season result: 4th
Average points per game:97
Average against per game: 53
Players used: 36
All 17 games (including finals) E Robinson, Slattery, Kennedy, King, Johnson, Clarke, T McErlain
Times in best: B Robinson 11 Clarke 9
Leading goalkickers: Gilbert 44 Pywell 38 Tyrell 18 plus 6 others 10+ goals
The Lakers would be disappointed with their finals loss on Sunday but it has been a very good start back into the NFNL. A dominant home ground where they were undefeated helped them to a 12-4 season record however they will need to improve their away record in 2024. Have some young and talented young players coming through but have a group of players coming to the end of their careers also so will need to recruit well to maintain position in 2024 especially with inclusion of Ivanhoe and possibly Old Paradians

Ahhh, they don't have to join it. It can be for sides like laurimar who I know have 20+ missing out on a game every week just have a 3s comp filled with teams all from the nfnl so laurimar v maybe a greenzy considering they have two under 19s teams in a few years will have endless players missing out for a twos game
Having been involved with a competition that has several 'competitions' within it, I would caution any thinking around it and have deep consultation with all clubs before heading down that path. There is no doubt it helps the stronger clubs with excess numbers, but it creates a significant divide with others.

An example of this is part of the reason our club looked to move. 20 years ago clubs could only have 2 x 19's and there were no 'open age thirds' or Under 23 comps in the VAFA. As a result, with us being in the heart of private schools, it saw about 60% of our player numbers come from mainly those not quite good enough to play in the sides of teams in A grade. Basically a 'trickle down' if you like to other clubs.

Now days a club like Xavier have Sen, Res, 3 x thirds, 4 x 19's and a masters (all men sides). They will most likely have 1 or 2 under 23's IF that comes back next year in the VAFA. This is great for them and they should be complemented for running such a great club. BUT it has had a big impact on lower division clubs who have juniors attached to those networks.

Something to consider before letting the powerful clubs get more powerful perhaps?

Chump

Last edited:
You have said this a couple of times now and it’s been glossed over. How do you know this and why?
How?-Because i heard back then that the coach was no certainty to stay. If he goes i see a few players leaving.
Also heard players had not been paid.
Why?- Not sure what you mean but the above explains it i think.

How?-Because i heard back then that the coach was no certainty to stay. If he goes i see a few players leaving.
Also heard players had not been paid.
Why?- Not sure what you mean but the above explains it i think.

I was asking how you knew that and why he wouldn’t be? Guessing with that info you obviously know people from within

The edfl run a thirds comp which mostly runs on a Friday night and you tend to get the tradies who work on a Saturday and still want to play footy without the big commitment of senior footy. The sides that are struggling for number will still struggle for number no matter what

The edfl run a thirds comp which mostly runs on a Friday night and you tend to get the tradies who work on a Saturday and still want to play footy without the big commitment of senior footy. The sides that are struggling for number will still struggle for number no matter what
Edfl had 15 team comp for thirds this year. Good mix of teams from all 3 divisions.

Only bad thing is the premier division clubs use it to run a lot players returning from injury or younger players they want to start playing against bigger senior bodies (rather that 19s 18s and juniors).

That kinda has been the case with like keilor who won the thirds comp granny by over 100 and havent lost a game in 4-5 years

Ye
Having been involved with a competition that has several 'competitions' within it, I would caution any thinking around it and have deep consultation with all clubs before heading down that path. There is no doubt it helps the stronger clubs with excess numbers, but it creates a significant divide with others.

An example of this is part of the reason our club looked to move. 20 years ago clubs could only have 2 x 19's and there were no 'open age thirds' or Under 23 comps in the VAFA. As a result, with us being in the heart of private schools, it saw about 60% of our player numbers come from mainly those not quite good enough to play in the sides of teams in A grade. Basically a 'trickle down' if you like to other clubs.

Now days a club like Xavier have Sen, Res, 3 x thirds, 4 x 19's and a masters (all men sides). They will most likely have 1 or 2 under 23's IF that comes back next year in the VAFA. This is great for them and they should be complemented for running such a great club. BUT it has had a big impact on lower division clubs who have juniors attached to those networks.

Something to consider before letting the powerful clubs get more powerful perhaps?

Chump
Nfnl don't have a old xavs type of club that can field 9 sides, was just a thought considering if the comp is ever going to start one it would be now!

Edfl had 15 team comp for thirds this year. Good mix of teams from all 3 divisions.

Only bad thing is the premier division clubs use it to run a lot players returning from injury or younger players they want to start playing against bigger senior bodies (rather that 19s 18s and juniors).

That kinda has been the case with like keilor who won the thirds comp granny by over 100 and havent lost a game in 4-5 years
yep that sucks but over all most clubs use the 3rds to give left over senior and under 19 players a run, plus game day is a bit more relaxed the only bad part is the lack of off resources given to the team especially if they play on a Saturday a mate of my was an assistant coach in that comp and that's the reason he left

yep that sucks but over all most clubs use the 3rds to give left over senior and under 19 players a run, plus game day is a bit more relaxed the only bad part is the lack of off resources given to the team especially if they play on a Saturday a mate of my was an assistant coach in that comp and that's the reason he left
Large majority of clubs are struggling with reserves and 19s numbers let alone playing a thirds side in the NFNL. It’s honestly 0% chance to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back