Let’s cut to the chase- can Hawthorn win a prelim in Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the hawks, they have a history of beating non Vic sides on their turf in finals. They have beaten west coast in Perth in 1991, port in Adelaide in 2001 and docker in Perth in 2015 off the top of my head.

Sort of stopped pencilling in straight set exits after 2017. Geelong got absolutely pantsed by Dusty and the Tigers and were coming up against Sydney who’d won 15 of 17 and won their Elimination Final by 10 goals. Thought it was the most obvious result ever and Geelong ended up winning that by 59.

Everything we saw on the weekend suggested that Hawthorn could and should handle Port pretty comfortably on the weekend, but I’m not willing to start pencilling in straight sets exits yet.

To the question can they win a PF in Sydney. If they make it there I can’t see why not? They play a brilliant brand of footy and are so balanced throughout the ground. So many contributors. Sydney are a different beast though, have so many match winners and can flick the switch and completely change the game so quickly. Thought GWS were outstanding for most of the game but Sydney were just relentless in that second half and eventually ran them down

Last edited:
I actually feel like the narrative is the opposite from Port fans.

The answer is somewhere in the middle: everyone is to blame, and everyone gets the credit.
Yeah well, the players over the last 12 years have been turned over, and yet the common denominator still escapes the media’s and club management’s blame.

Yeah well, the players over the last 12 years have been turned over, and yet the common denominator still escapes the media’s and club management’s blame.
I admit that I got sucked in again.

It would be so Hinkley to knock out the media darlings and most hyped team Hawthorn, when few give Port a chance.

Then they'd have their bunnies, Sydney.

Surely not. But it can't be ruled out. Expectations are the things that seem to cripple Hinkley's sides.

I admit that I got sucked in again.

It would be so Hinkley to knock out the media darlings and most hyped team Hawthorn, when few give Port a chance.

Then they'd have their bunnies, Sydney.

Surely not. But it can't be ruled out. Expectations are the things that seem to cripple Hinkley's sides.
Yes, but they also respond when Kens job is on the line, like 13 straight last year and after the Lions game booing 2 months ago.
No one expected us to make the 8 and yet we finished 2nd.

Thursday was as bad a performance as Ive seen in a while, but it was also not a career deciding game for Ken as they have a 2nd chance.
From now on its cut throat, Kens time at Port is in the hands of the players who obviously want him so dont be suprised if they 'play for keeps'.

I'd go as far as to say they left plenty in the tank knowing they have already taken care of their remaining 3 opponants since rd10.

I think they can.

But then again Hawks v Geelong in a GF would be pretty boring, we know how it would finish.

Yes, but they also respond when Kens job is on the line, like 13 straight last year and after the Lions game booing 2 months ago.
No one expected us to make the 8 and yet we finished 2nd.

Thursday was as bad a performance as Ive seen in a while, but it was also not a career deciding game for Ken as they have a 2nd chance.
From now on its cut throat, Kens time at Port is in the hands of the players who obviously want him so dont be suprised if they 'play for keeps'.

I'd go as far as to say they left plenty in the tank knowing they have already taken care of their remaining 3 opponants since rd10.
Yep, you've summarised the situation well. My main concern is whether they can rescue the half back drive without Houston and Farrel. You kind of need an effective slingshot game to punish Hawthorn, or else they will just swarm you like they did with Footscray the other night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing just how many teams have had one of their worst performance of the year against Hawthorn this year.

It happened almost every time they won
And when Hawks threw away a 42pt lead it was 'they went defensive too early'.
Theres always a narrative.

You only play as well as your opposition lets you.
All they had to do was kick 1 goal in the back half of that game coming from 42pts up and couldnt do it.
You might 'go defensive', lots of teams do, but they still score.
We didnt let them..

And when Hawks threw away a 42pt lead it was 'they went defensive too early'.
Theres always a narrative.

You only play as well as your opposition lets you.
All they had to do was kick 1 goal in the back half of that game coming from 42pts up and couldnt do it.
You might 'go defensive', lots of teams do, but they still score.
We didnt let them..

Apparently all that was needed for the game to end 20 seconds earlier…..as it should have been

I think they had a better chance against the Giants (should have beaten them a couple of weeks ago) as their fanbase is fairly modest to say the least. So it was a very strong possibility that the Hawthorn faithful could outnumber them at Engie stadium or the SCG in a prelim. I think that's happened when the Giants have played against non Sydney clubs in finals such as Collingwood if I remember correctly.

That ain't happening with the Swans though, they have more than enough genuine and fair weather fans to fill out the SCG fully and judging by the how electric the atmosphere was last night you could say it almost amounted to an extra player out on the field for the Swans.

SCG is only 5 metres shorter and 5 metres narrower than MCG. It's bigger than Marvel and Adelaide Oval, where we have played well at. It's not "small".

It’s basically the exact same size as the Gabba. But this braindead peasant ‘folk wisdom’ won’t die.

Bub yeah I think the hawks could win. They’re playing beautiful football.

Last edited:
Apparently all that was needed for the game to end 20 seconds earlier…..as it should have been
Yeah, no doubt, it cost you a goal, what about the other 6 zip?
And you cant just chop 20s off the end of the game, it doesnt work that way.
Take the 20s off when it should have come off and we might have had more urgency earlier.

I doubt we'll be giving you a 7 goal head start this week.
Not with Ken's job on the line.

Yeah, no doubt, it cost you a goal, what about the other 6 zip?
And you cant just chop 20s off the end of the game, it doesnt work that way.
Take the 20s off when it should have come off and we might have had more urgency earlier.

I doubt we'll be giving you a 7 goal head start this week.
Not with Ken's job on the line.

Your team played as well as our team let them. I get that they’ll be desperate

Your team played as well as our team let them. I get that they’ll be desperate
Yeah but we scored when you built your 42pt lead, you didnt let us play great but we still took some opportunities.
When the game was on our terms you couldnt even kick a goal to stop our momentum, you werent given opportunities as the ball lived in our forward half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back