Irish media is one thing, what about the Irish people?

Remove this Banner Ad

i agree but neither side can have a right to the high ground. the aussie midset was for revenge first football second and before the ball went in they had roughed up the irish with closes fists and elbows. the irish reacted badly to been roughed and responsed the only way they could without getting a beating. which is not stupid but is disgraceful and shaming to the gaa.

when it is our sport it is amateur against amateur, tecacher against teacher and builder and office worker. most of the talk in the media is about the skillful players (most not strong enough to complete with professionala) and any rough play against these guys or at our games is talked about in the media as a bad thing and not much trash talking goes on, only between supporters.

the test of strenght was not should to shoulder it was fists to the chest this is not acceptable part of either codes or I.R. and hence some irish players acted badly.

we cannot get tougher with going professional and we will not do that as it would kill the game, i for one wouldn't give another cent to the gaa if it moves in this direction. you play for the parish you were born it and the county you were born in (for the most part) and you do it outta pride for your paris/county not for money.

it was a good run while it lasted IR is dead for a couple of reasons.

irish amateur cannot compete with professionals
Irish cannot compete with the physical nature of the aussie
there is no common ground in the culture of the either code.
Aussie's would kick us around the field every year socre wise etc.

i agree but neither side can have a right to the high ground.

That's laughable, because the Irish have sprinted straight uphill to the moral highground.

Look at my link; according to your mob the poor, benighted little Irish amateur weaklings ahve been set upon by monstous Aussie thugs.

If you read that thread without watching the game you'd think Danyle Pearce looks like this

hulk4.jpg

and Graham Geraghty like this

cox.skinny.JPG

i don't know boylan? i cannot tell him. that'd be like me asking you to tell sheedy that Australia started it. both mangers have done themselves no favour but from what i hear everyone hates sheedy in OZ but boylan is very repectd in ireland as a coach. bresker you knob read the thread nobody thinks that, but you cannot deny that being professional players they have an edge physically over the irish.

i don't know boylan? i cannot tell him.

Well you said you would have done what Boylan did and then you say no one should be taking the moral high ground. I can see you want to fly the flag, but it's hard to work out what your line of reasoning is.

I know Boylan. He is a decent hopnourable man who played inter-county for 20 years and coached/managed his county for 23 years. In that time he built a reputation as a hard but fair coach. He had the highs of winning 3 All Irelands and the lows of early defeats in the Championship.
He is widely seen in Ireland as a gracious winner and even more gracious loser. Something perhaps Sheedy could learn from.

There is complete acceptance here of the superiority of the Australian team in terms of their football. There is complete disgust at the level of their sportsmanship. Their tactic was to intimidate even before the ball was thrown in. This envolved punching, goading, players being held on the ground and punched. We had the sight of the Australian umpire making sure that their was a 5 to 2 overlap in their favour before waving play on after the Irish ref had stopped play prior to the first goal. The same umpire then sent off McGeeney and his marker when all McGeeney was doing was holding off his man who was attacking him. Yet when we complain we are sooks(what ever that is), cowards and whingers. Last year you complained that we were cowards for not responding - this year when the players able to do so respond they are cowards for head butting and using their knees!

The reason the series is now over is because your players can nor be trusted to stay within the rules, and your coaching staff including Saint Stynes lie to their back teeth saying we started it. You do not and never will understand basic sportsmanship and fair play. Thats why we now want you all to stay Downunder playing with yourselves.

He is widely seen in Ireland as a gracious winner and even more gracious loser. Something perhaps Sheedy could learn from.

:eek:I hope not. The fact that you are calling Boylan a gracious loser is quite astounding.

You do not and never will understand basic sportsmanship and fair play.

This is just complete hypocrisy. The Irish have argie bargie in their local comp and the Irish engaged in rough play in the International Rules series. After the biggest ever defeat the Irish coach suddenly throws a tantrum. Basic sportsmanship is being gracious in defeat.

If you don't want to play with us at least be man enough to admit it is because we have improved and you are struggling more and more to be competitive with us. There's no disgrace in that. We are professionals, you are amateurs, it is to be expected. But lets stop all this nonsense. All it does is sour relations and make both nations look bad.

when it is our sport it is amateur against amateur, tecacher against teacher and builder and office worker. most of the talk in the media is about the skillful players (most not strong enough to complete with professionala) and any rough play against these guys or at our games is talked about in the media as a bad thing and not much trash talking goes on, only between supporters.

the test of strenght was not should to shoulder it was fists to the chest this is not acceptable part of either codes or I.R. and hence some irish players acted badly.

we cannot get tougher with going professional and we will not do that as it would kill the game, i for one wouldn't give another cent to the gaa if it moves in this direction. you play for the parish you were born it and the county you were born in (for the most part) and you do it outta pride for your paris/county not for money.

Aussie's would kick us around the field every year socre wise etc.[
/QUOTE]

I've really enjoyed these games in the past but I think this really sums up what will be its death knell.

Here is a thought from the Herald Sun Football Blog:
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/..._international_rules_concept_be_scrapped/P60/

Posted by Jack Hynes of Walkinstown, Dublin, Ireland on Wed 08 Nov 06 at 02:20am
I was at the game on Sunday and later viewed it on video. What came across on tape was just one quarter of what was actually happened. How can you people justify an Aussie player punching the Irish No 17 in the face as he was making his way to his starting position before the first hooter.
We Irish are a proud fighting nation, we have fought in many wars around the world with honour and are rightly proud that we were the first nation to rid that ugly Union Jack from our flagpoles, unlike other cowardly nations who have long since failed to stand up for their own independence despite their massive distance from the land of the imperialist bully.
As a fighting nation we will stand toe to toe with anyone and fight with honour. We will never hit from behind and behave like animals.
Australia has a lot of positives but your arrogance and aggression will, if you don’t change your ways, leave you more hated than the yanks.

The irish are alright. We hear from the ones who are whinging (media and the folk on here) but generally they are a good bunch.

i don't know boylan? i cannot tell him. that'd be like me asking you to tell sheedy that Australia started it. both mangers have done themselves no favour but from what i hear everyone hates sheedy in OZ but boylan is very repectd in ireland as a coach. bresker you knob read the thread nobody thinks that, but you cannot deny that being professional players they have an edge physically over the irish.

Sheedy is the 2nd longest serving AFL coach of all time, as well as playing over 200 games himself.

He has coached a side to 4 premierships and is very well respected by most people for his abilities.

If people in Aust dislike the guy, it is because they support opposition clubs (and it comes with the territory) or they are a little over him considering his been in the spot light for around 25 years! Her certainly isn't hated by most people.

As for Sheeds comments after the match, he was simply doing what any decent AFL coach/player would do - defending his team mates. Note that not for one moment did he criticise any umpiring decisions (it is not exactly brave to attack the people who are east able to defend themselves). Whats more he was prepared to accept some blame on the part of his team for the outcome of the match.

Boylan was an absolute embarrassment - attacked the umpires, criticised the other coach and side, and then was not prepared to acknowledge any fault on behalf of his own side.

In Australia we have a saying - it takes two to tangle. More often then not it is the retalitator that copes a suspension then the instigator...

If we get out physicalled in an AFL match it is something we admitt to reluctantly and respect the opposition because of it.

The fact is that all AFL players are taught to play aggresive, hard, CONTACT, footy within the rules. Obviously the Irish are not taught to stand up to such physical pressure. You will notice that in the match it wasn't the Aussies who responded with cheap shots like knees or head butts - in our game such action are considered cowardly and are far more likely to cause serious damage then a bit of push and shove.

As for the IR match being rough, it barely rates a mention in comparison to some AFL games - go and watch the 89 Grand final. There you'll see true rough play as well as true courage.

I cannot understand the Irish for criticising the AFL players for playing physical footy, which was mostly within the rules of the game - ie pushing, tackling hard, and then defending their players for kneeing and head butting (oh but they were only retaliating) Does the end justify the means???

If the IR comp is scrapped it will be because the Irish have realised that a side that trains for two weeks to play their national sport is better then their best.... and because they are not strong enough to play against Aust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussie's would kick us around the field every year socre wise etc.[
/QUOTE]

I've really enjoyed these games in the past but I think this really sums up what will be its death knell.

Its all very well to say that players shouldn't get paid etc But when 80,000 people come and watch a game, where does the money from ticket sales go??

It seems like there would be many an administrator making a decent buck from the fact that they don't have to pay for the entertainment...
this is exactly why rugby union went professional, TV companies, sporting grounds etc were making a killing by essentially keeping the players poor. Considering that the players do all the work, it is hardly fair.

Sheedy is the 2nd longest serving AFL coach of all time, as well as playing over 200 games himself.

He has coached a side to 4 premierships and is very well respected by most people for his abilities.

If people in Aust dislike the guy, it is because they support opposition clubs (and it comes with the territory) or they are a little over him considering his been in the spot light for around 25 years! Her certainly isn't hated by most people.

As for Sheeds comments after the match, he was simply doing what any decent AFL coach/player would do - defending his team mates. Note that not for one moment did he criticise any umpiring decisions (it is not exactly brave to attack the people who are east able to defend themselves). Whats more he was prepared to accept some blame on the part of his team for the outcome of the match.

Boylan was an absolute embarrassment - attacked the umpires, criticised the other coach and side, and then was not prepared to acknowledge any fault on behalf of his own side.

In Australia we have a saying - it takes two to tangle. More often then not it is the retalitator that copes a suspension then the instigator...

If we get out physicalled in an AFL match it is something we admitt to reluctantly and respect the opposition because of it.

The fact is that all AFL players are taught to play aggresive, hard, CONTACT, footy within the rules. Obviously the Irish are not taught to stand up to such physical pressure. You will notice that in the match it wasn't the Aussies who responded with cheap shots like knees or head butts - in our game such action are considered cowardly and are far more likely to cause serious damage then a bit of push and shove.

As for the IR match being rough, it barely rates a mention in comparison to some AFL games - go and watch the 89 Grand final. There you'll see true rough play as well as true courage.

I cannot understand the Irish for criticising the AFL players for playing physical footy, which was mostly within the rules of the game - ie pushing, tackling hard, and then defending their players for kneeing and head butting (oh but they were only retaliating) Does the end justify the means???

If the IR comp is scrapped it will be because the Irish have realised that a side that trains for two weeks to play their national sport is better then their best.... and because they are not strong enough to play against Aust.

Speak for yourself.

Most aussies know sheedy is self serving and makes a point of stretching the rules with disguised (sniping if you like) thuggery.

Many of us would think twice before backing the man to the hilt just because he is the current australian coach.

I wonder if the Irish have the same feeling for their man ?

read my post again you fool, i did comment on the disgraceful violance (taken word for word from my previous post) of the irish.

as i said the irish react (note the word) badly to orginial agression from the australians. some irish players employed dirty tactics as they knew going face to face with an australian would mean defeat.

this is not AFL i repeat this is not AFL. (also not gaa) so you rules of engagement as someone posted has help my knowledge when i watch AFL on tv it has nothing to do with IR.

Coward maybe but is pushing someones head into the ground and jumping someone from behind not a cowardly act, withstanding the fact also if they are Physically not as strong as you are and is outside the rules of the game.

I cant cop that. And I've read this from a few Irish supporters in these threads. The Irish are MEN. The Aussies are MEN. That they are not physically as strong as our men is not an arguement. I play country footy in Victoria and see Aussie Rules footballers who are more physically stonger and larger that the Irish guys. They arent professionals, they are just country footballers.

The old "We arent as physically strong as you are" don't wash with me. Nor should any other AFL supporters cop this rot.

The old adage, as I remember it, goes like this: "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"

Coward maybe but is pushing someones head into the ground and jumping someone from behind not a cowardly act, withstanding the fact also if they are Physically not as strong as you are and is outside the rules of the game.

yeah... can someone please tell me how big pearce is again? Fast as quicksilver, but you can't seriously tell me that he was more physically developed than GG?

So does that mean he should have just stuck a stray knee in, or kicked GG in the crackers? By your limited ability to reason, he should - and shouldn't be looked down on for it - BECAUSE HE WAS SMALLER?????

I know Boylan. He is a decent hopnourable man who played inter-county for 20 years and coached/managed his county for 23 years. In that time he built a reputation as a hard but fair coach. He had the highs of winning 3 All Irelands and the lows of early defeats in the Championship.

I was fairly sure Sheedy was returning fire. Sheedy can be a bit of an arse on occasions, but it was my impression that it was the irish coach spitting chips. Honerable man or not he lost the fight, lost the match and to make matters worse publically bitched about it. Sheedy may be a smug git, but at least he's entertaining.

Last year you complained that we were cowards for not responding - this year when the players able to do so respond they are cowards for head butting and using their knees!.

Congratulations, you've graduated from cowards to dogs. Hedbutting and using your knees are dog acts. "oh but we were pushed around...." boo ********ing hoo.

As an Irishman I have to say the IR is embarassing to watch. The players that represent us never seem to look like they're properly trying to stand up to the Aussies. For God's sake somebody throw a dig for once! :rolleyes:

The problem I have with the Aussies is that they threw a punch, singled out Geraghty and started having a go at the Irish before the ball had been thrown in. Would they have used the same approach and used the same aggressive attitude towards the opposition if they were in a compromise game with, say, the NZ All Blacks? Doubtful.

Its all very well to say that players shouldn't get paid etc But when 80,000 people come and watch a game, where does the money from ticket sales go??

It seems like there would be many an administrator making a decent buck from the fact that they don't have to pay for the entertainment...
this is exactly why rugby union went professional, TV companies, sporting grounds etc were making a killing by essentially keeping the players poor. Considering that the players do all the work, it is hardly fair.

Don't start this again! They are quick to jump up and down about playing for the love etc and money would spoil the game etc... but it seems to be the same few posters on here. Its a GAA conspiricacy me thinks:p

As an Irishman I have to say the IR is embarassing to watch. The players that represent us never seem to look like they're properly trying to stand up to the Aussies. For God's sake somebody throw a dig for once! :rolleyes:

The problem I have with the Aussies is that they threw a punch, singled out Geraghty and started having a go at the Irish before the ball had been thrown in. Would they have used the same approach and used the same aggressive attitude towards the opposition if they were in a compromise game with, say, the NZ All Blacks? Doubtful.
Having a go ? A few bumps and niggle. I would like the Irish supporters to be specific as to the offences - I watched the game and the only time there seemed to be an issue was after the Irish player needed Lappin from behind. The Australians flew the flag.

As for the tackle - well if that is what this is about then the IR should be cancelled. The tackle from Pearce while a free in IR was made by probably the smallest player from either side.

Having a go ? A few bumps and niggle. I would like the Irish supporters to be specific as to the offences - I watched the game and the only time there seemed to be an issue was after the Irish player needed Lappin from behind. The Australians flew the flag.
QUOTE]

To be specific, the problem I have with the Aussies is that they threw a punch, singled out Geraghty and started verbally abusing and jostling the Irish players before the ball had been thrown in.

It's an attitude that seems to have crept in to the whole Aussie squad in the last two years, maybe down to the new coach and adds a sinister element to the whole thing. There's nothing wrong with a bit of aggression, for example the Peter Canavan - Akermanis incident a few years back. Everybody loved that even though our guy probably came out the wrong side.

Nobody was complaining on our side then even though Australia won the series on our soil fair and square. So for people to think this is sour grapes this year is simply not the case.

The main issue seems to be the Aussies cynical and overly aggressive attitude in a game that doesn't really warrent it. Again, I think in a compromise game with the NZ All Blacks they would have had a different attitude. Why?

..., I think in a compromise game with the NZ All Blacks they would have had a different attitude. Why?
It would never happen. The clubs would never allow their players to play in a game where they might get injured, too big an investment to risk. Soft tissue injuries, which can occur in training anyway, aside, Australians generally don't sustain injuries in International Rules. If the GAA players were the same size as and tackled like rugby union internationals, there wouldn't be a series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish media is one thing, what about the Irish people?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back