Opinion Do AFL fans all complain about the same things?

What does your club board whinge about on a weekly basis?

• Recruiting

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Senior players have gold passes

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Never play enough youth

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Game plan

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Coaching

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Media is against us

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Other

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

"No plan B" was massive on the Geelong board till about... oooh... 2022.

What the hell did the fans expect? Hawkins to centre-half back, torpedoes launched from the back fifty?
This is something pretty much all top 6 or so clubs supporters whine about. It basically equates to "why doesn't our team win every single game instead of just most of them"

Am I the only one that likes David King? I don’t see the issue he never bags anyone for analyses the game pretty well imo.
I think his insights into the game are great. Him & Buckley are probably the most insightful and interesting analysts in the AFL media

"No plan B" was massive on the Geelong board till about... oooh... 2022.

What the hell did the fans expect? Hawkins to centre-half back, torpedoes launched from the back fifty?

I can remember that on the Eagles board before we won in 2006.

People were convinced Woosha had ‘no Plan B’ after swinging Adam Hunter forward - match winning move on a number of occasions. A highly effective counter.

I used to point out that moving Hunter forward literally was ‘Plan B’ - Plan A was the forward line (Lynch, Hansen et al) functioning properly.

So what they meant was ‘No Plan C’ - which I assume was probably the D50 torpedo based attacks you mentioned.

I think his insights into the game are great. Him & Buckley are probably the most insightful and interesting analysts in the AFL media

Buckley gets potted a lot for coming across as bitter etc but I just think he has a very dry sense of humour and I actually do think he has a lot of insight.

King to me looks for a lot of things that aren’t necessarily there. To me he’s an overanalist and he will form an opinion and then try and find one piece or two pieces of footage isolated from a game and use it to support his opinion about some perceived weakness in a team’s gameplan when in reality chances are they were just being lazy or outrun in the instances he’s highlighted rather than it being an inherent flaw that happens repeatedly to highlight what he’s actually saying.

Basically I think he looks for a deeper answer at times when often it might be as simple as ‘these guys just aren’t taking marks when it gets kicked to them.’

Buckley as gets potted a lot for coming across as bitter etc but I just think he has a very dry sense of humour and I actually do think he has a lot of insight.

King to me looks for a lot of things that aren’t necessarily there. To me he’s an overanalist and he will form an opinion and then try and find one piece or two pieces of footage isolated from a game and use it to support his opinion about some perceived weakness in a team’s gameplan when in reality chances are they were just being lazy or outrun in the instances he’s highlighted rather than it being an inherent flaw that happens repeatedly to highlight what he’s actually saying.

Basically I think he looks for a deeper answer at times when often it might be as simple as ‘these guys just aren’t taking marks when it gets kicked to them.’
Oh My George Takai GIF

I can remember that on the Eagles board before we won in 2006.

People were convinced Woosha had ‘no Plan B’ after swinging Adam Hunter forward - match winning move on a number of occasions. A highly effective counter.

I used to point out that moving Hunter forward literally was ‘Plan B’ - Plan A was the forward line (Lynch, Hansen et al) functioning properly.

So what they meant was ‘No Plan C’ - which I assume was probably the D50 torpedo based attacks you mentioned.
Hunter and Hansen - underrated players IMO

Buckley gets potted a lot for coming across as bitter etc but I just think he has a very dry sense of humour and I actually do think he has a lot of insight.

One of the big objections to King is that everything he says is based off data that nobody else has access to. If that data was publicly available he would be shown up very quickly.

Our supporters believe there’s a “port tax” when it comes to the MRO. Do other clubs feel the same?

I personally believe there are protected species in the afl (none of which play for port). Oh and Collingwood get kissed on the dick
Hawks fans also believe in that tax, probably another that most clubs supporters share.

Suspect there is universal frustration with umpiring inconsistency (saw posts on dogs board complaining about their bad run)

Umpiring is the stupidest complaint known to man.

Not sure about afl but I know for a fact that in rugby league at least at lower professional levels, they are coached, literally coached, to be observant of the count and where possible, to look for opportunities to level it up at least a bit and I can’t imagine AFL would be any different. Optics are important and the AFL is not stupid enough to be oblivious to the fact that supporter groups think that the league is out to get them

Maybe watch your club finished AFL #18 in the free kick differential for 6 of the last 8 seasons and #17 and #13 in the other two, then see how you go holding your tongue. This is not to mention topping 50m penalty counts regularly and ARC gate, "Common sense" gate, "knocked out player but play on 17 v 18 until the opposition scores a goal that ended up deciding the match" gate, 3 players in one match fined by Steven Hocking all 3 OVERTURNED by the Tribunal gate, one of your key players ko'd with a forearm to the face in opening minutes of a Grand Final no case to answer gate. And sundry other eyebrow raising decisions against you - especially when viewed in combination with what comes before and after in similar incidents.

Have a think about that happening to your team, and basically nothing ever coming back the other way, then see if you think it might be complaint worthy.

Not really a complaint, but more a common saying "He will come good, he just needs a block of 3-5 games" 3-5 games seems to be the magic number it takes for a player to come good.

Another one I've seen pop up recently, this one might be a bit unpopular, but complaints about debutants playing their first game as a sub. Like honestly, its a professional football league not under 9s. They have their whole career ahead of them and highly doubt they will give a s**t that they started their career as a sub once they've played 100-200 odd games.

oh and, whenever a player plays badly, you'll always get a "its because he is woke/has long hair/posts the occasional video on tik tok" from some boomer supporter. (I say this after making an a bit of a boomer opinion on debutants as subs)

Maybe watch your club finished AFL #18 in the free kick differential for 6 of the last 8 seasons and #17 and #13 in the other two, then see how you go holding your tongue. This is not to mention topping 50m penalty counts regularly and ARC gate, "Common sense" gate, "knocked out player but play on 17 v 18 until the opposition scores a goal that ended up deciding the match" gate, 3 players in one match fined by Steven Hocking all 3 OVERTURNED by the Tribunal gate, one of your key players ko'd with a forearm to the face in opening minutes of a Grand Final no case to answer gate. And sundry other eyebrow raising decisions against you - especially when viewed in combination with what comes before and after in similar incidents.

Have a think about that happening to your team, and basically nothing ever coming back the other way, then see if you think it might be complaint worthy.

We get 9 home games a year. Two others we have to play in a different city on the other team’s home ground. Twist it any way you want.

I don’t even care, I just bring it up when people continue to try and paint some non existent narrative that we are part of some conspiracy. But it’s just how it is. That’s what has been done so we get on with it.

When we request 11 home games and to host finals we get told to f**k off and stop whinging, when in reality I don’t think anyone is even whinging, the club just asks and the request gets knocked back, and the supporters go ‘I wish we were successful but anyway nevermind.’

The next year some halfwit turns around and again they’ll start the conspiracy that the Cats get looked after, naturally someone will point out ‘if we were looked after we’d have 11 home games and play finals there’ and we get told we are whinging.

None of this approaches conspiracy theory territory. It’s simply a supporter ground pointing out the logistics of a current quirk of how the AFL schedules its matches for the team we support.

You make a conscious choice to believe that the AFL targets your team by sending its officials out there on a weekly basis to make decisions based on the clubs that your players play for.

The two biggest sleeping giants - and I might add the two biggest fair weather ones - in the competition for decades have been you, and Carlton. The BEST possible scenario for the league is when both your teams are up and about because it immediately gets money pouring into their coffers.

Essendon have been through hell and won absolutely nothing for a quarter of a century and their crowds have still been pretty good and so have their memberships as far as I know. Collingwood will make the league a fortune no matter what.
Melbourne have made a bit of a resurgence but probably can’t hope to be much bigger than they are now.
We are steady. We will never be big four big, we will never be St Kilda/North/Bulldogs small (no disrespect to those clubs) because of our geography.
The eagles are huge. Adelaide for the most part are big too. Fremantle are steady. So are Sydney. Port won’t go too far up but they won’t disappear.

Brisbane probably need to stay reasonably successful as they tend to go quiet when things are bleak. The three small clubs I mentioned earlier - well North are a basket case, St Kilda and the Dogs DO have room for growth. I could see the league benefitting from helping them out somehow.

The Suns and the Giants are in markets where they believe there is room for financial explosion if they succeed eventually so it would make sense for them to help them.

Hawthorn are a borderline big four club and they have a rusted on fan base who won’t drift far.

But by a mile. A country mile, the two teams whose success can impact the AFL the most, is Richmond and Carlton when they are up and about. Because the difference between when they aren’t, and when they are, is colossal. So it would make no sense whatsoever for there to be any conspiracy against either of them.

And however pissed off it must make you to not get enough free kicks, you are a more intelligent man than to be a conspiracy theorist I know that much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We get 9 home games a year. Two others we have to play in a different city on the other team’s home ground. Twist it any way you want.

I don’t even care, I just bring it up when people continue to try and paint some non existent narrative that we are part of some conspiracy. But it’s just how it is. That’s what has been done so we get on with it.

When we request 11 home games and to host finals we get told to f**k off and stop whinging, when in reality I don’t think anyone is even whinging, the club just asks and the request gets knocked back, and the supporters go ‘I wish we were successful but anyway nevermind.’

The next year some halfwit turns around and again they’ll start the conspiracy that the Cats get looked after, naturally someone will point out ‘if we were looked after we’d have 11 home games and play finals there’ and we get told we are whinging.

None of this approaches conspiracy theory territory. It’s simply a supporter ground pointing out the logistics of a current quirk of how the AFL schedules its matches for the team we support.

You make a conscious choice to believe that the AFL targets your team by sending its officials out there on a weekly basis to make decisions based on the clubs that your players play for.

The two biggest sleeping giants - and I might add the two biggest fair weather ones - in the competition for decades have been you, and Carlton. The BEST possible scenario for the league is when both your teams are up and about because it immediately gets money pouring into their coffers.

Essendon have been through hell and won absolutely nothing for a quarter of a century and their crowds have still been pretty good and so have their memberships as far as I know. Collingwood will make the league a fortune no matter what.
Melbourne have made a bit of a resurgence but probably can’t hope to be much bigger than they are now.
We are steady. We will never be big four big, we will never be St Kilda/North/Bulldogs small (no disrespect to those clubs) because of our geography.
The eagles are huge. Adelaide for the most part are big too. Fremantle are steady. So are Sydney. Port won’t go too far up but they won’t disappear.

Brisbane probably need to stay reasonably successful as they tend to go quiet when things are bleak. The three small clubs I mentioned earlier - well North are a basket case, St Kilda and the Dogs DO have room for growth. I could see the league benefitting from helping them out somehow.

The Suns and the Giants are in markets where they believe there is room for financial explosion if they succeed eventually so it would make sense for them to help them.

Hawthorn are a borderline big four club and they have a rusted on fan base who won’t drift far.

But by a mile. A country mile, the two teams whose success can impact the AFL the most, is Richmond and Carlton when they are up and about. Because the difference between when they aren’t, and when they are, is colossal. So it would make no sense whatsoever for there to be any conspiracy against either of them.

And however pissed off it must make you to not get enough free kicks, you are a more intelligent man than to be a conspiracy theorist I know that much

A lot of your reasoning there sounds perfectly reasonable in isolation.

Let's however look at some facts. These are the teams to have the worst average free kick differential each year from 1965 to 2024. Interesting reading.

VFL era Free kick differential wooden spooners:

1965 Geelong VFL #12
1966 Geelong VFL #12
1967 Geelong VFL #12
1968 Richmond VFL #12
1969 Carlton VFL #12
1970 Carlton VFL #12
1971 Hawthorn VFL #12
1972 Hawthorn VFL #12
1973 Hawthorn VFL #12
1974 Hawthorn VFL #12
1975 Hawthorn VFL #12
1976 Hawthorn VFL #12
1977 North Melbourne VFL #12
1978 Hawthorn VFL #12
1979 North Melbourne VFL #12
1980 Richmond VFL #12
1981 Hawthorn VFL #12
1982 Essendon VFL #12
1983 Melbourne VFL #12
1984 Richmond VFL #12
1985 Essendon VFL #12
1986 Melbourne VFL #12
1987 Hawthorn VFL #14
1988 Eagles VFL #14
1989 Geelong VFL #14

Free kick differential wooden spoons VFL 1965-89

9 Hawthorn

4 Geelong
3 Richmond
2 Nth Melbourne, Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton
1 Eagles
0 Collingwood, St Kilda, Swans, Brisbane, Fitzroy, Bulldogs

AFL era free kick differential wooden spooners

1990 Geelong AFL #14
1991 Geelong AFL #15
1992 Swans AFL #15
1993 Adelaide AFL #15
1994 Melbourne AFL #15
1995 Fremantle AFL #16
1996 Adelaide AFL #16
1997 Melbourne AFL #16
1998 Melbourne AFL #16
1999 Melbourne AFL #16
2000 Carlton AFL #16
2001 Melbourne AFL #16
2002 Essendon AFL #16
2003 Essendon AFL #16
2004 Geelong AFL #16
2005 Swans AFL #16
2006 Swans AFL #16
2007 Swans AFL #16
2008 Hawks AFL #16
2009 Collingwood AFL #16
2010 Brisbane AFL #16
2011 Richmond AFL #17
2012 Brisbane AFL #18
2013 Brisbane AFL #18
2014 Fremantle AFL #18
2015 Geelong AFL #18
2016 Port Adelaide AFL #18
2017 Richmond AFL #18
2018 Richmond AFL #18
2019 Giants AFL #18
2020 Hawthorn AFL #18
2021 Richmond AFL #18
2022 Richmond AFL #18
2023 Richmond AFL #18
2024 to rd 9 Richmond AFL #18

AFL era

7 Richmond

5 Melbourne
4 Swans, Geelong
3 Brisbane
2 Essendon, Adelaide, Fremantle, Hawthorn
1 Carlton, Giants, Port Adelaide, Collingwood
0 Bulldogs, Eagles, Suns, North Melbourne, St Kilda

Overall since 1965:

11 Hawthorn(below 133 teams)
10 Richmond(below 151 teams)
8 Geelong
7 Melbourne
4 Essendon, Swans
3 Carlton, Brisbane
2 North Melbourne, Fremantle, Adelaide
1 Giants, Eagles, Port Adelaide, Collingwood

St Kilda, Bulldogs, Suns(from 14 seasons)

From Gill McLachlan's appointment as CEO in 2014 the table looks like this:

6 Richmond

1 Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Giants, Hawthorn, Geelong

From Steve Hocking's appointment as General Manager Football Operations in 2017 onwards:

5 Richmond
1 Hawthorn, Giants

Please note also, it is less likely for any team to finish #18 in an 18 team competition than number 12 in a 12 team competition. Richmond's free kick wooden spoons have seen them finish below more teams on the free kick ladder than any other club since 1965 when records began, all courtesy of course due to this current eye-watering run of free kick differential wooden spoons.

Do you happen to see anything standing out like a sore thumb PB?

Richmond on a teams in comp weighted basis now have the worst run of free kick differential wooden spoons since records began. 7 years ago they weren't even in the top 5. Now worse off than even the club Lou Richards dubbed the
'orrible Hawks in the 70's.

52w 4d 115l is Richmond's overall scoresheet on the free kick count in games from 2017 onwards. They win the free kick count 30% of the time, fail to win it 70% of the time. This is not the result of some random variance, it is way way too significant for that. This is clearly a team being officiated more harshly than all other teams. The exact reasons for that or how it comes to be, I have no idea. But as a Richmond supporter I will reserve the right to complain until it is corrected. And this is just free kicks. It is also very clear Richmond have been on the receiving end of all sorts of other adjudications wherever possible, as alluded to in my earlier post on this thread.

A lot of your reasoning there sounds perfectly reasonable in isolation.

Let's however look at some facts. These are the teams to have the worst average free kick differential each year from 1965 to 2024. Interesting reading.

VFL era Free kick differential wooden spooners:

1965 Geelong VFL #12
1966 Geelong VFL #12
1967 Geelong VFL #12
1968 Richmond VFL #12
1969 Carlton VFL #12
1970 Carlton VFL #12
1971 Hawthorn VFL #12
1972 Hawthorn VFL #12
1973 Hawthorn VFL #12
1974 Hawthorn VFL #12
1975 Hawthorn VFL #12
1976 Hawthorn VFL #12
1977 North Melbourne VFL #12
1978 Hawthorn VFL #12
1979 North Melbourne VFL #12
1980 Richmond VFL #12
1981 Hawthorn VFL #12
1982 Essendon VFL #12
1983 Melbourne VFL #12
1984 Richmond VFL #12
1985 Essendon VFL #12
1986 Melbourne VFL #12
1987 Hawthorn VFL #14
1988 Eagles VFL #14
1989 Geelong VFL #14

Free kick differential wooden spoons VFL 1965-89

9 Hawthorn

4 Geelong
3 Richmond
2 Nth Melbourne, Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton
1 Eagles
0 Collingwood, St Kilda, Swans, Brisbane, Fitzroy, Bulldogs

AFL era free kick differential wooden spooners

1990 Geelong AFL #14
1991 Geelong AFL #15
1992 Swans AFL #15
1993 Adelaide AFL #15
1994 Melbourne AFL #15
1995 Fremantle AFL #16
1996 Adelaide AFL #16
1997 Melbourne AFL #16
1998 Melbourne AFL #16
1999 Melbourne AFL #16
2000 Carlton AFL #16
2001 Melbourne AFL #16
2002 Essendon AFL #16
2003 Essendon AFL #16
2004 Geelong AFL #16
2005 Swans AFL #16
2006 Swans AFL #16
2007 Swans AFL #16
2008 Hawks AFL #16
2009 Collingwood AFL #16
2010 Brisbane AFL #16
2011 Richmond AFL #17
2012 Brisbane AFL #18
2013 Brisbane AFL #18
2014 Fremantle AFL #18
2015 Geelong AFL #18
2016 Port Adelaide AFL #18
2017 Richmond AFL #18
2018 Richmond AFL #18
2019 Giants AFL #18
2020 Hawthorn AFL #18
2021 Richmond AFL #18
2022 Richmond AFL #18
2023 Richmond AFL #18
2024 to rd 9 Richmond AFL #18

AFL era

7 Richmond

5 Melbourne
4 Swans, Geelong
3 Brisbane
2 Essendon, Adelaide, Fremantle, Hawthorn
1 Carlton, Giants, Port Adelaide, Collingwood
0 Bulldogs, Eagles, Suns, North Melbourne, St Kilda

Overall since 1965:

11 Hawthorn(below 133 teams)
10 Richmond(below 151 teams)
8 Geelong
7 Melbourne
4 Essendon, Swans
3 Carlton, Brisbane
2 North Melbourne, Fremantle, Adelaide
1 Giants, Eagles, Port Adelaide, Collingwood

St Kilda, Bulldogs, Suns(from 14 seasons)

From Gill McLachlan's appointment as CEO in 2014 the table looks like this:

6 Richmond

1 Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Giants, Hawthorn, Geelong

From Steve Hocking's appointment as General Manager Football Operations in 2017 onwards:

5 Richmond
1 Hawthorn, Giants

Please note also, it is less likely for any team to finish #18 in an 18 team competition than number 12 in a 12 team competition. Richmond's free kick wooden spoons have seen them finish below more teams on the free kick ladder than any other club since 1965 when records began, all courtesy of course due to this current eye-watering run of free kick differential wooden spoons.

Do you happen to see anything standing out like a sore thumb PB?

Richmond on a teams in comp weighted basis now have the worst run of free kick differential wooden spoons since records began. 7 years ago they weren't even in the top 5. Now worse off than even the club Lou Richards dubbed the
'orrible Hawks in the 70's.

52w 4d 115l is Richmond's overall scoresheet on the free kick count in games from 2017 onwards. They win the free kick count 30% of the time, fail to win it 70% of the time. This is not the result of some random variance, it is way way too significant for that. This is clearly a team being officiated more harshly than all other teams. The exact reasons for that or how it comes to be, I have no idea. But as a Richmond supporter I will reserve the right to complain until it is corrected. And this is just free kicks. It is also very clear Richmond have been on the receiving end of all sorts of other adjudications wherever possible, as alluded to in my earlier post on this thread.

Mate you whinged about someone not getting suspended AFTER the event 😂😂
What does that have to do with Richmond? A tigers player got fended off by a player with the ball and you clowns carried on like he’d been shot with a sniper rifle rather than what was essentially a reflex from a ball carrier and the only teams who suffered from the lack of suspension were the Hawks and Adelaide that played against us at the start of the next season

I do subscribe to the theory that individual players get officiated more harshly than others from time to time: I’m a roosters fan so I see Victor Radley get sin binned every two weeks for drawing breath but I’m not about to suggest that there’s a directive from headquarters against him or his team. It’s exactly that s**t that makes people take the piss out of tigers fans

Hawks - erectile disfunction
Bombers - premature ejaculation
Saints - victim complex
North - incel
Carlton - paid sex addiction

Etc

But about football, I reckon the different club boards have 95% of the same themes

Not really a complaint, but more a common saying "He will come good, he just needs a block of 3-5 games" 3-5 games seems to be the magic number it takes for a player to come good.

Another one I've seen pop up recently, this one might be a bit unpopular, but complaints about debutants playing their first game as a sub. Like honestly, its a professional football league not under 9s. They have their whole career ahead of them and highly doubt they will give a s**t that they started their career as a sub once they've played 100-200 odd games.

oh and, whenever a player plays badly, you'll always get a "its because he is woke/has long hair/posts the occasional video on tik tok" from some boomer supporter. (I say this after making an a bit of a boomer opinion on debutants as subs)
Did feel for those who never get on the ground (Connor Downie)

A massive, massive whinge. Throw in a bit of "CFL" and a rant about Shocking and you've typed out the most generic aggrieved Richmond supporter post ever.

I hope Arr0w sees this.

The thread is about complaints.

Why are you whingeing about me complaining? Stop being a sook. :tearsofjoy:
Stop ripping off Carlton supporters retorts. You're not one of their clones, are you?

The thread is actually making fun of what people complain about. It wasn't "serve up your best complaint". So I'm actually much more in line with the OP's point than you are. Except highlighting that Richmond supporters are the biggest sooks in the league, with Carlton still trailing behind as they don't actually believe the league is corrupt against them.

Stop ripping off Carlton supporters retorts. You're not one of their clones, are you?

The thread is actually making fun of what people complain about. It wasn't "serve up your best complaint". So I'm actually much more in line with the OP's point than you are. Except highlighting that Richmond supporters are the biggest sooks in the league, with Carlton still trailing behind as they don't actually believe the league is corrupt against them.

If people want to make fun of what people complain about then us complainers deserve a right of reply don't we?

My complaints about Richmond's treatment at the hands of officials are based on very solid facts. PhatBoy offered that there couldn't be anything more stupid to complain about so I responded with some eyebrow raising facts.

Pretty simple really but you make it sound complicated as usual, like it is rooted in deep conspiracy theory that relies on the whole world being against my team.

Back