News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Excited Fran Healy GIF by Travis

The problem is, it’s almost impossible for the umps to tell the difference in real time, so they end up just making the call based on reputation of the player, which is even more frustrating when it’s actually there.

I said the same thing when Selwood was a player, and Leigh Matthews said the same on the weekend, the onus should just be on the tackler not to tackle high, even if the player draws it. Obviously blatant ducking should not be rewarded but if you’re evading a tackle and in the process the tackler gets you high, too bad to the tackler. Shorter guys are typically harder to tackle and it’s intuitive for them to slip under because it doesn’t take much to do so.

100%

The problem is, it’s almost impossible for the umps to tell the difference in real time, so they end up just making the call based on reputation of the player, which is even more frustrating when it’s actually there.

I said the same thing when Selwood was a player, and Leigh Matthews said the same on the weekend, the onus should just be on the tackler not to tackle high, even if the player draws it. Obviously blatant ducking should not be rewarded but if you’re evading a tackle and in the process the tackler gets you high, too bad to the tackler. Shorter guys are typically harder to tackle and it’s intuitive for them to slip under because it doesn’t take much to do so.
Good post.

Agree that the onus is on the tackler not to tackle high, unless the player is blatantly ducking.

If you are competing against a taller player, you can’t hack their arms just because they have a longer reach.

If you are tackling a shorter player, you have to adjust accordingly.

Height advantage works on both ends of the scale.

Last edited:

At what point do we give Kane Cornes his own thread?

At this stage, we should consider sending him a membership.
Tell Kano that his graphs are going to need a shit ton of work. I actually think they would take away my uni degree if I presented something like this.

(I know it probably wasn’t Kano but he is to blame and nobody else)

IMG_0740.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riddle me this, why is 90% of the Australian afl media some of the most genuine fart suckers going around. It’s a cesspit of shit with a few droppings of gold. Unbearable
Because the AFL grant the media accreditation and they can revoke it at will on a whim.

Riddle me this, why is 90% of the Australian afl media some of the most genuine fart suckers going around. It’s a cesspit of shit with a few droppings of gold. Unbearable
Beautifully said! Most of them are competing for the most extreme headlines and rubbish. Some of the ex players have obviously taken too many headknocks and have the analytical skills of a dropped cabbage

My late dad’s message to me would be appropriate for the majority of those that call the game.

Keep your mouth closed and let people think you are stupid rather than opening it and confirming the fact.

A walk down memory lane. In 1971, I enjoyed the privilege of watching the greatest goal kicker of all time who was often double teamed and sometimes triple teamed. As Portholes stated , Huddo was a genuine footballing freak. He is the only player who could read the flight of the ball and anticipate the bounce to leave his opponents stranded. Houdinihuddo 😍.

Reports of my demise premature, says ‘Portholes’

JON ANDERSON

Hawthorn premiership player Mike “Portholes” Porter has told of his shock at being “killed off” by the AFL and says he’s fighting fit with “hopefully a few years left yet”, despite reports of his demise.
Porter, 79, was the subject of an incorrect death notice when the AFL paid homage to its fallen heroes at its annual Hall of Fame dinner on Tuesday.
The 1971 premiership player was out for dinner on Tuesday night when suddenly his phone lit up with messages of concern.
“I got all these phone calls on Tuesday night, the first being from a mate I played with at Hawthorn named John Fisher. When I answered, he just said ‘Thank god’. I said ‘Why?’ and he told me the AFL Hall of Fame had killed me off.
“Then Ian Bremner rang saying ‘Parko’ (David Parkin) and John Kennedy Jr had contacted him. It spread like wildfire,” said Porter, now retired and living in the Sydney suburb of Greenwich after a 22-year career at Valvoline where he was managing director.
“I’ve just turned 79 and feel healthy enough. Maybe there was a benefit in it because I’ve been playing like shit on the golf course but today (off a handicap of 14) I had 43 points. I reckon St Peter played with me today.
“When it happened, my wife texted the AFL to say I was still alive and if they wanted to talk to me they could give me a ring but I haven’t heard from them. (The AFL on Thursday issued a statement saying it was “an innocent mistake” before adding they had rung Porter to apologise to him.)
“It didn’t really worry me although I have wondered how it could actually happen, because someone has to initially say you have died. Was there another Mike Porter who died? I don’t know the answer but look at it this way, it did get me mentioned on the AFL Hall of Fame night (laughter).”
Porter played 78 games with Hawthorn from 1966 to 1972 after being recruited from Haileybury College via University Blacks. He was regarded as a tough footballer and recalls a pivotal incident in the 1971 VFL grand final when Hawthorn beat St Kilda by seven points in a brutal encounter in front of 118,192 at the MCG.
“The true story is I was moved to a half back flank at half time after Robert Day was knocked out. When the game started, I saw my teammate Kevin Heath on the ground searching for his tooth, which he told me Carl Ditterich had knocked out with his elbow.
“He suddenly said ‘I’ve found it’ and put it in his sock. Even when I see him today, he still pulls out his tooth.
“After it happened, I told Kevin I would get Carl for him. A few minutes later I was running alongside Carl and just whacked him across the face.
“He wasn’t too good and had been dominating the game but after that he didn’t really play well. And a bit later Ray Wilson, who was only about 10 stone, knocked him over. I have seen Carl since and laughed about it.
“That was a game where a lot went on, including Peter Hudson being knocked out. Hudson was a genuine footballing freak. I know he gets a lot of kudos but to my mind not enough. “Nobody has ever fully understood his genius, and I played with Leigh Matthews and Peter Knights.

“I still follow the Hawks and love the game, particularly Marcus Bontempelli who … captures everything that is good about Australian Rules. And please add that while the AFL might have killed me off a bit early, they’ve done a great job promoting the code in Sydney.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back