News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Based on the rules as they are written both the Watson free kicks were there. And the Moore and Ginnivan ones too.

For a free kick to be paid for holding the ball a legal tackle needs to be made (ie. “below the shoulders and above the knees”) and the player with the ball needs to have had prior opportunity.

There is a line about the ball carrier losing their prior opportunity if they “drive their head into a stationary or near stationary player”. But Watson didn’t drive his head into the tackler, nor were the tacklers near-stationary.

But the above paragraph isn’t relevant as all tackles made initial contact at/above the shoulder. Meaning they weren’t legal tackles and so prior opportunity isn’t part of the equation.

I couldn’t spot anything in reference to lowering the body, dropping at the knees, or raising the arm. But I am looking on my phone and the text search isn’t working so maybe you can find it.
Yep they made sure Selwood was finished to change the rules, but 1 of his many tactics was when a legal tackle was on his greased up arm he would long stride to get lower and raise his greasy arm in the air to force the arm around his neck. Sometimes he'd grab the opponents arm and hold it as he twisted he body to put he neck into the arm.

Yep they made sure Selwood was finished to change the rules, but 1 of his many tactics was when a legal tackle was on his greased up arm he would long stride to get lower and raise his greasy arm in the air to force the arm around his neck. Sometimes he'd grab the opponents arm and hold it as he twisted he body to put he neck into the arm.

That's the Selwood action I hated. He took a legal tackle (around the bicep), grabbed the opponents' wrist, and then turned into the opponents armpit - even if both players were stationary it pushed the tackle higher. Selwood then compounded it by 'slipping' or leaning in - one big thread about it had Geelong posters showing photos of him at 45 degrees to prove he wasn't ducking/knee bending. (It was the next evolution).

Selwood himself was quite open about it - he didn't have the athletic attributes (size/strength/speed), so he just had to be smarter - he READ THE RULES, found a loophole, and worked with the umpires to ensure what he did would be effective.

Hawks regularly had umpires at training too - but it never seemed to change our techniques, or our treatment from the umpires.

The turn around seems to be based on our defense which has gone from 18th to 2nd since round 7 and everything has improved from that, I did notice a bit of a drop off in tackling the last couple of weeks before the bye, hopefully they get that sharpened up for a finals push...

Selwood, the guy that invented the ducking meta with the raising of the arm head high free is now on a panel criticising it, AFL media are comedians, absolute joke... near the end of his cheating career our guys would just concede the free just to smash the little shit...

The turn around seems to be based on our defense which has gone from 18th to 2nd since round 7 and everything has improved from that, I did notice a bit of a drop off in tackling the last couple of weeks before the bye, hopefully they get that sharpened up for a finals push...

Selwood, the guy that invented the ducking meta with the raising of the arm head high free is now on a panel criticising it, AFL media are comedians, absolute joke... near the end of his cheating career our guys would just concede the free just to smash the little shit...
Now i would pay plenty to see that.

My late dad’s message to me would be appropriate for the majority of those that call the game.

Keep your mouth closed and let people think you are stupid rather than opening it and confirming the fact.
Looks like your Dad and I shared a love for literature :)

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” ― Mark Twain

Looks like your Dad and I shared a love for literature :)

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” ― Mark Twain

Mark Twain has some great quotes. I love this one “Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These young Hawks are learning to fly. Just imagine how things will be in another 50 games if they keep trending the way they are now.
I still remember a Herald Sun headline just after 2008 GF win, "Just wait until they grow up"

Young team, solid connection, lots of depth.

Great recipe

OK I don't mean to alarm anybody, and I don't normally read this shite, but I was sent a message about it and had to check it out for myself.

The sliding doors article this week for Fremantle ACTUALLY FOLLOWS IF THEN LOGIC!!!!!!

I know the stupid bastard has gone and broken the universe.

Great interview by Talking Hawks with David Hale.

Love the mentions of Josh Ward in particular.
Wasn't getting enough time 'in the guts' at AFL level, so they sent him back to Box Hill to focus on his inside game.

Only a matter of time until he's rotating through the center with Day, Worpel, Nash and Newc.

Specific mention of his power running from contest to contest and clean disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back