News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Reminds me of West Coast vs Geelong in 2006 when Geelong coughed up a 54 point lead. Geelong were sitting 4th last with a 3-6 record up against he ladder leaders.

Geelong won 7 of the next 11 games to finish 9th with a 10-11-1 record.

And then 2007 happened.
Not before they lost to us in early 07 and everyone was questioning whether they were the real deal or not.

Same - keep watching Ned Maginness at Sandringham Dragons, Cody Anderson at Eastern Ranges and Koby Williams western Jet.

I am also waiting to see if Wilbur Harford appears in the under 18’s. I think Daniel played for the knights from memory but I could be wrong.

How is Koby tracking.

I know there's irony in Joel Selwood talking on this. It might make him a hypocrite but it doesn't make him wrong.

Of the incidents highlighted I think the 2 Watson frees were definitely drawn by the player, the Ginnivan one definitely, the Moore one was much more passable and a far worse effort from the tackler but he does have form.

What I said in the game day thread the other day is that the Watson frees would get highlighted, now they have. Next step is the umpires ignoring them, along with frees that are 100% there. He's talented enough, hope he can change that part of his game up and not become someone the umpires ignore.

I know there's irony in Joel Selwood talking on this. It might make him a hypocrite but it doesn't make him wrong.

Of the incidents highlighted I think the 2 Watson frees were definitely drawn by the player, the Ginnivan one definitely, the Moore one was much more passable and a far worse effort from the tackler but he does have form.

What I said in the game day thread the other day is that the Watson frees would get highlighted, now they have. Next step is the umpires ignoring them, along with frees that are 100% there. He's talented enough, hope he can change that part of his game up and not become someone the umpires ignore.

Based on the rules as they are written both the Watson free kicks were there. And the Moore and Ginnivan ones too.

For a free kick to be paid for holding the ball a legal tackle needs to be made (ie. “below the shoulders and above the knees”) and the player with the ball needs to have had prior opportunity.

There is a line about the ball carrier losing their prior opportunity if they “drive their head into a stationary or near stationary player”. But Watson didn’t drive his head into the tackler, nor were the tacklers near-stationary.

But the above paragraph isn’t relevant as all tackles made initial contact at/above the shoulder. Meaning they weren’t legal tackles and so prior opportunity isn’t part of the equation.

I couldn’t spot anything in reference to lowering the body, dropping at the knees, or raising the arm. But I am looking on my phone and the text search isn’t working so maybe you can find it.

They raise key defense but the influx down there has been prevalent.

Weddle, Frost and Scrimshaw + Sicily is plenty for a best 22, with Phillips, Blanck, DGB and McCabe also.

Key forward / contested marking type is Lewis and the players around him will clearly be Chol and Dear + Gunston occasionally.

The main thing is continuity and consistency with honing in on the strengths whilst continuing to develop the weaknesses and improvements as a generalised unit.

Impossible to officiate. We already tried this interpretation earlier in the year and Ginni almost had his head taken off. The AFL grudgingly admitted they missed some frees.

Small guys are hard to tackle. It’s an advantage of small guys, who don’t have many in this game. I genuinely don’t understand the angst. To defend against small guys in the forward line, teams must get to the balls first or control contact in a really small window. It doesn’t make sense to me that we would reward hard, head-over-the-ball footy everywhere but the forward line. In the forward line we are arguing that a player must make themselves easier to tackle. In the forward line we are arguing that a player must shy away from contact.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A really great example of why I don't watch this show.

Nothing but cliches and talk of 'a bag of money'.

WTF?

We can rip on Fox Footy for many things, but at least the in depth analysis on their programs actually provides new and interesting information.

Joel and Trent sounded like myself and my mates in year 5 talking about footy on a Monday morning trying to sound like 'the guys on the TV'.

They raise key defense but the influx down there has been prevalent.

Weddle, Frost and Scrimshaw + Sicily is plenty for a best 22, with Phillips, Blanck, DGB and McCabe also.

Key forward / contested marking type is Lewis and the players around him will clearly be Chol and Dear + Gunston occasionally.

The main thing is continuity and consistency with honing in on the strengths whilst continuing to develop the weaknesses and improvements as a generalised unit.
Watson has the analysis ability of a brick

I hate the highlighting of high free kicks. Brayshaw has made it his agenda two weeks in a row. Look at the ones Ginnivan and Moore have missed this year as well before making it a major talking point. Yet JHF charging his head at Day who was stationary at the time drawing a free, over his many that game, didn't even get a mummur after the game, and that was definitely more deliberate in drawing free kicks.

A really great example of why I don't watch this show.

Nothing but cliches and talk of 'a bag of money'.

WTF?

We can rip on Fox Footy for many things, but at least the in depth analysis on their programs actually provides new and interesting information.

Joel and Trent sounded like myself and my mates in year 5 talking about footy on a Monday morning trying to sound like 'the guys on the TV'.
They are typical Channel Seven footy personalities - cliched and dull as dishwater. They are more focused on big names than what they bring analysis wise.
That's a large part of why Seven's broadcast is so poor.

Based on the rules as they are written both the Watson free kicks were there. And the Moore and Ginnivan ones too.

For a free kick to be paid for holding the ball a legal tackle needs to be made (ie. “below the shoulders and above the knees”) and the player with the ball needs to have had prior opportunity.

There is a line about the ball carrier losing their prior opportunity if they “drive their head into a stationary or near stationary player”. But Watson didn’t drive his head into the tackler, nor were the tacklers near-stationary.

But the above paragraph isn’t relevant as all tackles made initial contact at/above the shoulder. Meaning they weren’t legal tackles and so prior opportunity isn’t part of the equation.

I couldn’t spot anything in reference to lowering the body, dropping at the knees, or raising the arm. But I am looking on my phone and the text search isn’t working so maybe you can find it.
The laws of the game are borderline useless because it never covers the "interpretation" changes or "clarifications" that the AFL constantly makes.

1000004762.jpg

Either way, it is now a thing, it has been highlighted. Whether or not Hawthorn supporters think they're legitimate or not I will bet any money that they're gonna stop getting paid in short order.

The problem is, it’s almost impossible for the umps to tell the difference in real time, so they end up just making the call based on reputation of the player, which is even more frustrating when it’s actually there.

I said the same thing when Selwood was a player, and Leigh Matthews said the same on the weekend, the onus should just be on the tackler not to tackle high, even if the player draws it. Obviously blatant ducking should not be rewarded but if you’re evading a tackle and in the process the tackler gets you high, too bad to the tackler. Shorter guys are typically harder to tackle and it’s intuitive for them to slip under because it doesn’t take much to do so.

Either way, it is now a thing, it has been highlighted. Whether or not Hawthorn supporters think they're legitimate or not I will bet any money that they're gonna stop getting paid in short order.

They weren't getting paid until that early game when Ginni was virtually mugged. He had a blood nose from smashes to the face and the call was "play on".

There is no open season on small forwards.

I hate the highlighting of high free kicks. Brayshaw has made it his agenda two weeks in a row. Look at the ones Ginnivan and Moore have missed this year as well before making it a major talking point. Yet JHF charging his head at Day who was stationary at the time drawing a free, over his many that game, didn't even get a mummur after the game, and that was definitely more deliberate in drawing free kicks.
I remember the commentators at the time (for JHF) was around how clever he was to draw the free (by headbutt charge), while in the same game mercilessly bagging Ginni.

Impossible to officiate. We already tried this interpretation earlier in the year and Ginni almost had his head taken off. The AFL grudgingly admitted they missed some frees.

Small guys are hard to tackle. It’s an advantage of small guys, who don’t have many in this game. I genuinely don’t understand the angst. To defend against small guys in the forward line, teams must get to the balls first or control contact in a really small window. It doesn’t make sense to me that we would reward hard, head-over-the-ball footy everywhere but the forward line. In the forward line we are arguing that a player must make themselves easier to tackle. In the forward line we are arguing that a player must shy away from contact.

Melbourne clubs should do sessions with the Storm. Plenty of fullbacks, halves and hookers in rugby league that are much smaller than the forwards who are going to be tackling them. They are able to do so without swinging at their chins for the most part - yes there are high tackles but they generally aren't taking the heads off smaller players.

out of those 4 tackle examples, each tackle was a lazy tackle and we deserved the high free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back