Hannah McGuire - Another Senseless Ballarat Murder * Lachie Young charged

Remove this Banner Ad

What an unexpected conversation, it's great to see that there are enlightened people on a site like this, essentially a footy one!
This is what gives this 60 year old lots of hope for our future, otherwise why bother, we just need to educate the great mob throwing stones at our front doors and teach them some compassion, empathy and resilience; who knows what happens next??

Yet another weak as piss campaigner who doesn’t like the word no. Trying to pass it off as suicide. Weak as ******* piss . Pathetic germ.
Yes, social media has a lot to answer for. I was fortunate to grow up with a loving mum and dad. I was taught respect from day one. The s**t that is just let go these days would’ve led to a clip behind the ears for myself and my siblings, but it rarely happened because we just knew.

Last edited:
What I find sad about Hannah McGuire's case which is identical to many others is she lived in fear of this happening had put a restraining order on her killer yet this achieved nothing. She is now dead. Especially in the case of the killers who are not mentally stable. It's not a matter of if, it's simply when and our system waits until someone is dead/murdered before it responds. There has to be a better way. Thousand of girls/wives etc have died under these circumstances.
The biggest problem with restraining orders is they are rarely policed. Also, can increase any anger in a big way.

Without enforcement they are a useless double edged sword.

innocent before being found guilty but if that’s so, it’s disappointing to hear that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Last edited:

'The 21-year-old accused of killing Hannah McGuire was on bail for serious unrelated offences at the time of her alleged murder, 9News can reveal.'

'9News understands Young and his father are facing unrelated charges for assault and burglary and are due to appear in Victoria's County Court next month.'
Just further proves what garbage some of these outlets print. Have a look at this paragraph the Daily Mail decided was necessary, relevant, accurate & appropriate for someone charged with murder :

Images of Young on social media indicate he enjoyed a good upbringing and remained close to his parents.

His parents' family home is situated a stone's throw from the Sebastopol home where detectives arrested him on Sunday.

It’s pretty disturbing to me that someone who had a restraining order AND was on bail for violent offences is now alleged to have murdered the person who had the restraining order against them. That to me is a significant failure of the system.
Unfortunately many DV victims have had restraining orders against their perpetrator.

In reality, it's a useless piece of paper.

Unfortunately many DV victims have had restraining orders against their perpetrator.

In this particular instance, and most relevant to my comment, there is the additional issue of him getting bail for violent offences, which was another mechanism to protect the community and (now) victim. I would very much like to know if police opposed bail and raised the restraining order as a reason to deny bail.

Matters relating to bail were examined in the aftermath of Jill Meagher’s death, and on the face of it this seems like one of those situations where applying the learnings may have been relevant.

I am definitely not in favour of measures that impinge on the rights of those accused, because our justice system is dependent on innocent until proven guilty and other fair trial standards. But matters surrounding bail are legitimate considerations.

I think the community absolutely has a right to ask what happened there, as they did re Adrian Bayley.

In this particular instance, and most relevant to my comment, there is the additional issue of him getting bail for violent offences, which was another mechanism to protect the community and (now) victim. I would very much like to know if police opposed bail and raised the restraining order as a reason to deny bail.

Matters relating to bail were examined in the aftermath of Jill Meagher’s death, and on the face of it this seems like one of those situations where applying the learnings may have been relevant.

I am definitely not in favour of measures that impinge on the rights of those accused, because our justice system is dependent on innocent until proven guilty and other fair trial standards. But matters surrounding bail are legitimate considerations.

I think the community absolutely has a right to ask what happened there, as they did re Adrian Bayley.
I'm sure in time we will find out what happened here.

Agree it is useless as a preventative measure. It does however provide a means of ensuring more severe sentencing for offenders when they eventually are apprehended.

For 'one-off' type offenders it might scare them enough to mend their ways, but AVOs and such don't deter the crazies.

It's like jail time as a deterrent for violent crimes - it doesn't really stop crazy folk committing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree it is useless as a preventative measure. It does however provide a means of ensuring more severe sentencing for offenders when they eventually are apprehended.

For 'one-off' type offenders it might scare them enough to mend their ways, but AVOs and such don't deter the crazies.

It's like jail time as a deterrent for violent crimes - it doesn't really stop crazy folk committing them.
I'm more than aware of the usefulness of ivo's in a real life situation.

Thanks for the lecture.

Sources familiar with the case say the 23-year-old first approached authorities on March 20 asking for help amid fears for her personal safety.

Exactly two weeks later – on April 3 – that help was offered.

Concerns have been raised about whether a delayed response may have contributed to Ms McGuire’s death.

The Herald Sun is prevented from providing further detail of her attempts for assistance for legal reasons.

Might this revelation be linked to why authorities reportedly initially categorised the death as suicide?
Possibly not wanted to get any blame in a murder case, and hoping it was a suicide.
I think that was the ex's intention to make it look like suicide rather than a murder. From what I've been told by someone that knew Hannah is that allegedly the ex had sent messages from her phone to friends (himself included again allegedly) that she was about to kill herself and then he sent messages from his phone some time after saying that she had gone silent/missing on him and was worried and even posted something to her social media to try and distance himself.

I think that was the ex's intention to make it look like suicide rather than a murder. From what I've been told by someone that knew Hannah is that allegedly the ex had sent messages from her phone to friends (himself included again allegedly) that she was about to kill herself and then he sent messages from his phone some time after saying that she had gone silent/missing on him and was worried and even posted something to her social media to try and distance himself.
What a piece of s##t!!!

Maybe messaging devices need an extra secure mode where a series of photos is taken each time the device is unlocked and a copy immediately sent to the cloud in a folder that can never be deleted and only openable to Law enforcement or the Coroner by court order, to make it harder for someone to break into someone else's device without been photographed in the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back