News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have contracted the building of the bloody thing to China, would probably have been ready before the end of last season if we did.
Isn’t that the problem that they chose to go with the cheaper Chinese steel that turned out to have faulty welds in it. Think about the extra revenue they could have got by not having to redo faulty work.

Isn’t that the problem that they chose to go with the cheaper Chinese steel that turned out to have faulty welds in it. Think about the extra revenue they could have got by not having to redo faulty work.
The welding was done out of Qatar. Perhaps the steel came from China, but then the iron ore probably came from the Pilbara. And while we export a lot of iron ore, it isn't great quality. Ultimately the blame has to lie with the contractor.

What I want to know is what will the new ground capacity be? I hear 40K being banded around a lot, but last night we had 23K. Say there was 2k no shows, that means the new stand would need to sit 15,000 to get to the 40K target. That seems unlikely, I would have thought no more than 9K, so maxing the ground out at 34K

The welding was done out of Qatar. Perhaps the steel came from China, but then the iron ore probably came from the Pilbara. And while we export a lot of iron ore, it isn't great quality. Ultimately the blame has to lie with the contractor.

What I want to know is what will the new ground capacity be? I hear 40K being banded around a lot, but last night we had 23K. Say there was 2k no shows, that means the new stand would need to sit 15,000 to get to the 40K target. That seems unlikely, I would have thought no more than 9K, so maxing the ground out at 34K

New stand expected for have 14k capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems unlikely, I would have thought no more than 9K, so maxing the ground out at 34K
The ground capacity is severely limited by the reg hickey (moorabool st) stand. Because of that, its easy to under estimate the capacity of other stands

If the same design was built 360deg around the ground, capacity would be 50k. That should be the long long term goal (like 20 years from now)

Most? I think the answer is None - every club's ground, bar GWS and GC, is run by an independent body who are at an arms length from the footy club and only get a say as a stakeholder. And with GC and GWS, its the AFL's problem, not the clubs. Interestingly, it will probably be an issue for Tassie as well if that get onboard
The Kardinia Park Trust is an independent body, isn't it?

I don't think that's correct.

I understand the vast majority of Aust iron ore exports are high grade.

I don't think that's correct.

I understand the vast majority of Aust iron ore exports are high grade.
Nah, full of silica and other shit. Which means steel factories need to 'clean' it, which consumes a lot of energy. Is not considered green. It is estimated we need to spend around 10 billion at least to develop the technologies to lift the ore, otherwise the industry will decline as we won't be able to meet environmental commitments

The Kardinia Park Trust is an independent body, isn't it?
I stand corrected, although the point I was trying to make is that we are the sole major tenant unlike at most other clubs. The KP trust might be running the show, but they have to be working extremely tightly with the club. I remember Cook talking about the work he did in getting the redevelopment going. Conversely I've heard Tom Harley talking about SCG redevelopment not that long ago and it sounded very hands off. A case of they would like it, but they really had no say in the matter.

I stand corrected, although the point I was trying to make is that we are the sole major tenant unlike at most other clubs. The KP trust might be running the show, but they have to be working extremely tightly with the club. I remember Cook talking about the work he did in getting the redevelopment going. Conversely I've heard Tom Harley talking about SCG redevelopment not that long ago and it sounded very hands off. A case of they would like it, but they really had no say in the matter.
That has a lot more to do with who controls each trust.

The SCG trust has always been pro Cricket and NRL and less happy with the AFL being a tenant. So issues like TV camera angles for the footy dont have any money spent on them.

Whereas KPs main and basically only tenant is the GFC so the trust works much closer with them.

Also re your point about cook. Back in 2004 the ground was run by council. Only been since the brownlow stand opened that control was transferred to the trust (condition of state funding). So the club needed to be a lot more proactive back then as the council didn’t have the money to fund that

Nah, full of silica and other s**t. Which means steel factories need to 'clean' it, which consumes a lot of energy. Is not considered green. It is estimated we need to spend around 10 billion at least to develop the technologies to lift the ore, otherwise the industry will decline as we won't be able to meet environmental commitments
Fair enough.

But wouldn't it also be fair to say historically our ore is high grade - both hematite and magnetite - with the Pilbara hematite easy to mine and able to be directly shipped; while the magnetite in places like South Oz obviously a little rougher.

I agree with the "greening" of steel production we will need to up our quality of ore, but I understand there are carbon neutral options being worked on as we speak which have real promise.

So will stage 6 be replacing hickey stand with a new stand that goes all the way around joining it with some of it going over the road like the Gabba?

Im viewing this only on a TV screen - but what i saw at the City end goals last night - that reminded me of Football Park - and i did go to about 4-5 games their - including that legendary preseason practise game in 1990 - between Port Adelaide ( reigning Premier in the SANFL ) against Geel ( beaten Grand Finalists ) in about 85 degree heat

And by the way - the Cats won easily - hah - got a bit of a fright in the 3rd qtr but that was about it - ha - ha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding capacity, I remember listening to Krock last year (can't remember if it was before or after one of our matches), and they were discussing the grounds capacity

Capacity at the moment is meant to be 23k/24k, yet last year our highest crowd at KP is listed at 22,106 against the Bulldogs - that was also the only match with a crowd over 22k at KP last year

The ground capacity also includes the corporate seating & boxes, and often when we hear/read the match is a sellout but then we get crowd number lower than one would expect for a sellout, it's cause those corporate areas aren't at capacity

It would be interesting to see a grounds capacity explained a bit better with a breakdown of seating capacity, and then add in the corporate seating after

Regarding capacity, I remember listening to Krock last year (can't remember if it was before or after one of our matches), and they were discussing the grounds capacity

Capacity at the moment is meant to be 23k/24k, yet last year our highest crowd at KP is listed at 22,106 against the Bulldogs - that was also the only match with a crowd over 22k at KP last year

The ground capacity also includes the corporate seating & boxes, and often when we hear/read the match is a sellout but then we get crowd number lower than one would expect for a sellout, it's cause those corporate areas aren't at capacity

It would be interesting to see a grounds capacity explained a bit better with a breakdown of seating capacity, and then add in the corporate seating after
Another element to that last point, I’ve heard that they count the seated capacity inside the function rooms (captains, presidents room) as well as the seats in front of those rooms in the capacity… but then on gameday there’s of course only one person occupying the space inside and the seat in front, hence inflating the figure a touch.

Loose figures from a quick Google search by redevelopment -

• Reg Hickey Stand approx. 6,100
  • Premiership Stand approx. 4,700
  • Players Stand approx. 9,300
  • Brownlow Stand approx. 6,500
  • Stage 5 approx. 14,000

Total approx. 40,600
I assume its to do with the big screen but how is the new stand got 5k more seats then the players stand..?

I assume its to do with the big screen but how is the new stand got 5k more seats then the players stand..?

The Players Stand doesn't connect with the Reg Hickey due to the mentioned screen - so there's a bit of seating below that, otherwise it's a fair void

I took the photo below on Saturday night - with the new stand you can see that they've built across the ramps leading to the Reg Hickey stand, plus they've planned for 2300 standing room spots. So half the additional capacity will be in standing room

IMG_2647.jpeg

The Players Stand doesn't connect with the Reg Hickey due to the mentioned screen - so there's a bit of seating below that, otherwise it's a fair void

I took the photo below on Saturday night - with the new stand you can see that they've built across the ramps leading to the Reg Hickey stand, plus they've planned for 2300 standing room spots. So half the additional capacity will be in standing room

View attachment 1668726
Along with all of this, the new stand will have 23 rows in the top level at it's deepest, where the player's stand is only 14-15 rows deep.

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back