News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

So what happens if it's not done?

Do we just play the games and that section is left empty.

I was under the impression they had sold season tickets in the new stand, so I am guessing if that happens people will need to get reimbursed.

Pretty sure that no tickets have been sold in that section yet

They were planning to relocate members with reserved seats in the lower section of the Players Stand to the new stand - but that didn't go over too well, and then there was delays with the stand where it became obvious it wasn't going to be open prior to round 1. With all that factored in, they opted to not go with that move for this season

So not sure they've actually sold any seats in the new stand at this stage, and any seat sales this year would likely be on a match by match basis

Has the flag unfurling been confirmed for round 6 v Swans (first home game) or is that speculation?

Seems impossible that the stand will be ready by then so wondering if they’d still go ahead with the unfurling with a reduced capacity.

Has the flag unfurling been confirmed for round 6 v Swans (first home game) or is that speculation?

Seems impossible that the stand will be ready by then so wondering if they’d still go ahead with the unfurling with a reduced capacity.
Yes the flag unfurling has been confirmed for this match and will not be done earlier at the MCG.

It has already confirmed that the stand would not be used before the Melbourne game in Round 15, still looking into the issues from the welding on the metal that arrived from overseas, but not looking good for the stand being used before 2024 now.

So what happens if it's not done?

Do we just play the games and that section is left empty.

I was under the impression they had sold season tickets in the new stand, so I am guessing if that happens people will need to get reimbursed.
That's a good question and I'm not sure what the answer is. I have reserved seats in the Players Stand and they were initially going to move us to the new stand this year. Then they reconsidered that due to a few initial delays with all the poor weather - floods etc. They have since said the plan will be to move us over in 2024. But I have no idea what it all means for this year - I'm guessing it's not going to be ideal from a financial POV?

Yes the flag unfurling has been confirmed for this match and will not be done earlier at the MCG.

It has already confirmed that the stand would not be used before the Melbourne game in Round 15, still looking into the issues from the welding on the metal that arrived from overseas, but not looking good for the stand being used before 2024 now.
Sounds like a potential law suit?!

My Guess is the Essendon game will be moved, Bulldogs and Melbourne games subject to ladder positions and potential crowd lock out numbers.

Geelong would just want to go ahead with all 9 at GMHBA, but I know when the capacity is so low some clubs wont be happy.

My Guess is the Essendon game will be moved, Bulldogs and Melbourne games subject to ladder positions and potential crowd lock out numbers.

Geelong would just want to go ahead with all 9 at GMHBA, but I know when the capacity is so low some clubs wont be happy.
I’d be very very surprised if any games are moved from GMHBA this year regardless of the status of the stand.

Unlike the 2020 & 2021 seasons when there was external factors involved with changing games, and that impacted basically every team, I'm not sure an unfinished stand will be deemed a valid reason to move games in 2023

I'm pretty sure there was a request to move a match from Marvel to the MCG last year based on larger capacity for fans, but it was rejected

Then you add in that Round 15 has already been set:
- Geelong vs Melbourne, Thursday night at KP; doubt it'll necessarily be a high drawing crowd at the MCG especially on a Thursday night compared with staying at KP. We played them in the same timeslot last year and drew a crowd of 21,501
If that match moves to the MCG in the same timeslot, no doubt we lose money

The Essendon match is round 18, while the clash with the Bulldogs is the last round of the season - it hasn't been ruled out that the stand will open during the season

I’d be very very surprised if any games are moved from GMHBA this year regardless of the status of the stand.
Correct. Games will be played as stated in the fixture. FWIW people are getting a little silly thinking otherwise, 27k capacity vs 40k makes no difference to the AFL... Nor me frankly.

Correct. Games will be played as stated in the fixture. FWIW people are getting a little silly thinking otherwise, 27k capacity vs 40k makes no difference to the AFL... Nor me frankly.

If we were scheduled to play the reigning premiers in Melbourne at KP last season when they should be been seen as being a potential drawcard for crowds, then the AFLs going to have very few issues with them playing at the same ground this year when it's us as the reigning premiers

Didn't we play these teams last year with a 20k capacity stadium? We'll be at 27k'ish without the entire new stand and moist likely 30k plus if have half of it available. No need to move any of those games you have mentioned TBH.

Didn't we play these teams last year with a 20k capacity stadium? We'll be at 27k'ish without the entire new stand and moist likely 30k plus if have half of it available. No need to move any of those games you have mentioned TBH.

We have not played Essendon down there with reduced capacity.

We have not played Essendon down there with reduced capacity.

Yes we have as we played Essendon at KP in 2021 when there was reduced capacity due to covid crowd restrictions - if the AFL was happy to accept 15k in attendance that night, not sure why they'll have an issue accepting a capacity of 20k -> 30k this year

There's been no official announcement or formal ruling that the stand will be or won't be open at some stage this season - what we know is that they've ruled out it being opened early (which the Club had been hopefully of) and there appears to be some delays, but no announcement of what those delays mean

Besides all that - it's our home game and deserves to be played on our home ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry bud but you're wrong there... cheers
We played them there in 2021 due to Covid and capacities didn't come into play. last year we played them in round 1 only at the G, then you need to go back to the 90's. We haven't played them when the capacity was down because of construction.

Yes we have as we played Essendon at KP in 2021 when there was reduced capacity due to covid crowd restrictions - if the AFL was happy to accept 15k in attendance that night, not sure why they'll have an issue accepting a capacity of 20k -> 30k this year

There's been no official announcement or formal ruling that the stand will be or won't be open at some stage this season - what we know is that they've ruled out it being opened early (which the Club had been hopefully of) and there appears to be some delays, but no announcement of what those delays mean

Besides all that - it's our home game and deserves to be played on our home ground
Covid doesn't count with reduced capacities, they didn't move games to have more people there during Covid, construction at a venue is a very different beast especially when game time isn't set yet for the game.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if the stand isnt ready the media and Essendon are going to lean pretty hard on the league to change it.

Not very confident this will be completed before the end of the season. Hade some cryptic messaging from someone who works for the civil engineer, not worth repeating, but suggest there was more to it than just some supplier giving a sub-standard product

Last edited:
Not very confident this will be completed before the end of the season. Hade some cryptic messaging from someone who works for the civil engineer, not worth repeating, but suggest there was more to it than just some supplier giving a sub-standard product

Have a look at my post a few pages back.

Picture taken same time of the year when they built the Players Stand which was a lot less complex shows they were already a long, long way behind...

New lights are great but if they do that stupid flickering of the lights as they do at Marvel I’ll had back my membership. End up with a headache every game and stopped going to the stadium

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Had that at the MCG as well

It's stupid

Bet on it that they will do it
The very fact that this gimmick is featured ad infinitum in the promo video for the upgrade tells you everything you need to know about how seriously (and regularly) they're looking at using it for games in the future.

Just start writing in the letters to complain from now. :p Remember the stupid panther sounding noise after a goal? Yeah that didn't last once people laughed at them.

But this flashy flashy is likely here to stay, I blame those WA'ers with their spiffy Optus Stadium, and the Yanks with their MLB and NBA effects. :p

If only footy could stay footy and focus on the product itself.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back