Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

"Davies-Uniacke looms as one of the biggest names in the game set to come off-contract next year, with the likes of Marcus Bontempelli, Oscar Allen, Andrew Brayshaw, Chad Warner and Tom Lynch each having decisions to make on their next deals over the coming 18 months."
https://www.zerohanger.com/north-me...following-recent-links-afl-trade-news-151780/

Any other possibilities there?

Bryashaw apparently isn't happy at Dockers, is a Melbourne kid as is his partner Lizzie Stock (maybe she wants to go Home to family? Usually a big reason players move) and would be an immediate upgrade to our midfield. Not to mention only 24 years old.

We tried to get Gus Brayshaw a few years ago and there was a lot of interest there before he re-signed with Dees, wouldn't be surprised at all if we go after Andrew.

I take a different view from many on Stengle. There wasn't a queue for his services after his poor track record. We gave him a chance in arguably the best environment for him. He's essentially given us just 2½ years.

If Gullan is right we've offered him 4 years @ $700k. Fair value in my book. The other offers are supposed to be $800k. Take out tax and it's not a gigantic difference.

I reckon it's ordinary if he bails if that is the equation. Loyalty isn't big for him in my book.

There's no reason why he can't live in Melbourne if that's the issue. Players have done that before.

Of course, different if the wage disparity was larger.

I love Stengle, and want him to stay, but in the nitty gritty I lean this way too.

Loyalty and respect is a 2 way street. Yes, Stengle has given us a great couple of years (2023 aside) and was integral to our 2022 premiership. We're all extremely grateful for that.

But it should also be remembered that he was essentially on the footy scrap heap when the GFC picked him up, dusted him off and made him all bright and shiny again.

It was the GFC who provided the environment in which he settled, thrived, and realised the potential within.

So I think the rumoured offer of $700k is close to Stengle's value whilst abiding by the GFC's known philosophy re: contracts.

Again, I value Stengle and don't want to lose him, but I value the GFC's philosophy and sense of 'team' more.

That 26 year old in the vfl has played less than 5 afl games in his life.

The drop off from Stengle to Mannagh is massive. At the end of this season, Stengle will be a 2xAA in the last three years. Mannagh will have played less than 10 games.

And oh yeah, Stengle is younger.

It would be like someone saying “it is ok if we cut Cameron loose, we have got shannon Neale who can take his place. No problems👍

I think youre missing my point.

Firstly yes mannagh has played less than 5 games.
But his 2023 vfl season was in just about every way equal with stengles 2021 sanfl season. Now thats no knock on stengle as a player but it and mannaghs previous body to work suggests he is likely to be afl standard if given the opportunity.

Secondly the cameron comparison is poor because elite kpfs overwhelmingly (look at the data) come from r1 picks (if taken at 18) or high price trades. Whereas quality small forwards are often found with later picks (as recruiters discriminate if players are small or one position players). The question is not is stengle better than mannagh. Of course he is right now.

The question is
1) will stengle be harder to replace than hawkins, dangerfield, blicavs etc? And the answer is no because its easier to draft a small fwd with a later pick or trade for one cheapish than it is with a key forward an elite mid or a unicorn.
And
2) with mannagh etc do we have better depth to cover if stengle goes than if say dangerfield, guthrie blitz etc went now?
The answer to that is yes because we have better small fwd stocks than we do in other areas of our list.

So our contract offer should reflect that and thats why you would offer him say 750 a year not 1mil.

Bryashaw apparently isn't happy at Dockers, is a Melbourne kid as is his partner Lizzie Stock (maybe she wants to go Home to family? Usually a big reason players move) and would be an immediate upgrade to our midfield. Not to mention only 24 years old.

We tried to get Gus Brayshaw a few years ago and there was a lot of interest there before he re-signed with Dees, wouldn't be surprised at all if we go after Andrew.

Melbourne will go very hard for andrew with his brother on coaching staff there.
That said if freo change coaches i think brayshaw will stay.

Ldu is probably more realistic for us to lever him out next year.

Ed richards is someone id definitely chase if he doesnt sign soon.
And id be seeing if bruhn can get in callaghan's ear.

If you offered anyone

- pick a UDFA with previous off field issues

- makes a place at your club and contributes to a FLAG - club assuming most risk

- chooses to exercise FA OOC option to maximize his earning potential after 3 years

- we get Band 1 compo pick for it.

It’s turning hay into gold IMO.
Now.. it’s also not that simple as Stengle has become one of best small forwards In the game and is only 25 with clear a good 3-5 years left or more - and he’s booted 53 and maybe another 40 odd this year..

We will miss the talent but it’s not like we are getting left with nothing.

This assumes also the issue is he wa rd to be closer to Melbourne and the $$ gap is over 100k per year

If it’s only money and under 100k per year difference. It’s harder to see him leave over that.

Go Catters

This assumes also the issue is he wa rd to be closer to Melbourne and the $$ gap is over 100k per year

If it’s only money and under 100k per year difference. It’s harder to see him leave over that.

1. It's been reported as mainly $$$$, they want to highest possible bid from a Melbourne club

2. It's not only 100k per year difference, he's not leaving a great situation for a small upgrade (that's absolutely being pushed by Carlton as they don't have the money to stump up for him)

3. Saints and Dons are looking to pay him in the $1M per year range, he'd be crazy not to take it, as you said 1RP compo for us and he gets what he wants. Win/WIn

1. It's been reported as mainly $$$$, they want to highest possible bid from a Melbourne club

2. It's not only 100k per year difference, he's not leaving a great situation for a small upgrade (that's absolutely being pushed by Carlton as they don't have the money to stump up for him)

3. Saints and Dons are looking to pay him in the $1M per year range, he'd be crazy not to take it, as you said 1RP compo for us and he gets what he wants. Win/WIn

If that's the kind of money they're willing to give him, he has to take it. It's kinda like a GAJ situation - there reaches a point where you can't begrudge anyone taking an offer like that. Heck, even at $900K (compared to our $700K - if reports are accurate), that's a huge difference over 4-5 years.

I get the feeling his career will fizzle out at Dons or St Kilda but I'm glad he is getting a good pay day when he leaves
I can see him not meeting the expectations/contract elsewhere and it'll be one of those "Path A/Path B" moments for a club that grabs him.

Love me some Tyson but if you're paying a small forward $1M a year you've got bigger list management issues.
Good on him though, go get that money!

"Davies-Uniacke looms as one of the biggest names in the game set to come off-contract next year, with the likes of Marcus Bontempelli, Oscar Allen, Andrew Brayshaw, Chad Warner and Tom Lynch each having decisions to make on their next deals over the coming 18 months."
https://www.zerohanger.com/north-me...following-recent-links-afl-trade-news-151780/

Any other possibilities there?

LDU the one i see with any remote possibility. Bont will extend with the dogs, allen and warner from perth, lynch too old and injury prone, brayshaw maybe not unless he free agent it will cost arm and a leg for a trade.

That's why i'm pushing for Saints or Dons to do it.
They'll pay the most and that nets us a First Round compo pick and i can still support him because i don't dislike either of those teams lol
We don't get any compo at all for Stengle, because he is a DFA at the end of each contract. Once a player has attained DFA status, he is a DFA for life.

LDU the one i see with any remote possibility. Bont will extend with the dogs, allen and warner from perth, lynch too old and injury prone, brayshaw maybe not unless he free agent it will cost arm and a leg for a trade.
LDU would be the perfect acquisition for us, about as good as you could hope for without being completely unrealistic.

Sadly, I just don’t see us being in the running due to not paying overs for players.

If Holmes is on 850k are we going to be offering LDU 1.3mill? Because someone else will.

Even if we are stacked with cap room, I can’t see us being close to the highest bidder unless we start changing up the way we do things.

To get LDU we need to pray he loves Gtown and hates money.

I’m not getting my hopes up at all.

Is a gun. But would cost a lot. Like at least 2 first rounders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Secondly the cameron comparison is poor because elite kpfs overwhelmingly (look at the data) come from r1 picks (if taken at 18) or high price trades. Whereas quality small forwards are often found with later picks (as recruiters discriminate if players are small or one position players). The question is not is stengle better than mannagh. Of course he is right now.

I agree with what you were saying generally. But on this point, there's a BIG difference between saying 'quality small forwards are often found with later picks', and saying 'later picks make quality small forwards'. Let's not conflate the two.

The fact that Mannagh was a late pick is clearly not evidence that he will become a quality AFL standard small forward. He may, but he may not. All we know now is that that Stengle is. It would still be a gamble to assume that Mannagh would be able to just fill the hole left behind. But if we could turn the compo pick into Smith, on the whole it's probably a gamble I'm willing to take.

We don't get any compo at all for Stengle, because he is a DFA at the end of each contract. Once a player has attained DFA status, he is a DFA for life.
Happy to be proven wrong, but my understanding was that as a former delisted player he gets UFA status at the end of the each contract. So he can choose where he goes, but we'd still get compo like we would with any other UFA

We've had this discussion about Stengle the season and the above isn't quite correct

Yes he was a delisted free agent when we acquired him, that then means he retains a status of unrestricted free agent each time he comes out of contract for the remainder of his career

We'd be compensated as any team would be for losing a UFA - we just don't get the opportunity to match as you do for a RFA

It has been, but if they've hit the wall they've hit the wall.

I can see someone like Duncan maybe just being on the list to guide kids through pre-season and coach them. But we'll already have a few of those.

I can't see Hawkins going around again. I don't think Rohan or Duncan will either
Cats were hesitant on resigning Hawkins last year. Unless he comes home with a bang he'll be done

I've said a few times this season that 2024 is the first time my 12yo daughter has taken a genuine interest in the game.

She will sit and watch an entire game with me nowadays.
It is incredibly annoying.
She yaps away the entire time while I am stressing out, making inane observations and suggestions (''why doesn't he just kick it!?!?''), and asks a millions questions.

But like the Saint I am, I have fostered her growing interest with patience despite our mixed results over the past few weeks - and of course her growing passion for the game reminds me of a time when I was younger and less cynical and jaded myself.

Her favourite player is Tyson Stengle.
My daughter has been playing for a local club for two seasons now, she's pretty decent; wears #18 on her back as a tribute.

I broke the news to her a week or so ago that Stengle might be going to play for another club and she burst into tears.
She is not usually a particularly emotional kid, either.

I did my best to explain the nuances of Stengle's situation; a little of his background as I understand it; the truncated earning capacity of an AFL footballer, the fact that he would always be a Geelong Premiership player.

She was pretty inconsolable.

Didn't want a bar of my long-winded spiel about the Geelong players I have seen come and go in my time following the club:
Greg Williams (and Bernard Toohey. David Bolton too!).
Leigh Colbert.
Gary Ablett jr.
Hell, losing both of Robert Scott and Sean Denham was a huge blow in my eyes back in the day.

I explained to her that the club is bigger than the individual. Always.

And yet.

Even after all these years it still stings when talented players jump ship.

And there aren't many more talented and entertaining players than Tyson Stengle.

Personally, if I were managin' our list - well, we'd be stuffed.
But I would pony up a little more than what has been reported as being our offer to Tyson.
I'd probably go as high as 800k, for 5 years. A risk by Geelong list management standards, no doubt. But he's a match-winner, and there aren't many of them in the competition.

The Cats low-balling Greg Williams in 1985 is probably the great list management stuff-up by this club in my time.
Gary Ablett jr jumping ship was miraculously nullified by the 2011 flag, but the defection of Greg Williams played out over a depressing period of years, culminating in that horrific 1995 GF. All for a few lousy dollars.

I'll be following up with my kid in the next few days, probably while we watch the Geelong vs Carlton game together - I reckon Stengle's gonna go, bub.
Might keep her quiet for a quarter or two, anyway.
Losing Williams, Toohey, Bolton was a real blow that still gives some of us older supporters nightmares..Loved Bernard back in the day Even when he played for the Swans.

Losing Williams, Toohey, Bolton was a real blow that still gives some of us older supporters nightmares..Loved Bernard back in the day Even when he played for the Swans.

It was a huge shock to an 11yo me (of course Hafey went too!) and a harsh lesson in the realities of life and football.

Toohey was a pretty big loss as you say; with him and Mark Bos on the half-back line we had something to build around; once Bernard left Bos had a huge job and only an ailing Malarkey and an undersized Tim Darcy for support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back