Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

love this quote from Chris Scott concerning the Tyson Stengle situation:

"The part that I will stress is, Tyson's done the work. We gave him the opportunity but that was the opportunity to walk in the door," Scott said.

"I would like to think that we have helped him, but we're not the sort of club that says, 'Hey mate, you owe us because we gave you the opportunity'.

"We want the best for Tyson, not just while he's playing footy, but also post-footy as well. Part of that is him making sure he sets himself up financially outside of footy.

"I can't see a time where we'll leverage what we've done for a player, we're not that sort of club, not those sort of people."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1154519

"The part that I will stress is, Tyson's done the work. We gave him the opportunity but that was the opportunity to walk in the door," Scott said.

"I would like to think that we have helped him, but we're not the sort of club that says, 'Hey mate, you owe us because we gave you the opportunity'.

"We want the best for Tyson, not just while he's playing footy, but also post-footy as well. Part of that is him making sure he sets himself up financially outside of footy.

"I can't see a time where we'll leverage what we've done for a player, we're not that sort of club, not those sort of people."

As it should be and I feel that’s more of a fired shot at the likes of Kornes more than anything else

It is what it is. The ball is in Stengle’s court. There’s a great offer on the table to stay and see out his career here or if $500k or so will make him happier in life that option is there too. It won’t make much difference to the future trajectory of our club.

I will lose zero sleep over this one.

IMG_4593.jpeg

On the CatAttack Podcast, Bailey Smith even got mentioned that he was looking at houses down Geelong ....

"Davies-Uniacke looms as one of the biggest names in the game set to come off-contract next year, with the likes of Marcus Bontempelli, Oscar Allen, Andrew Brayshaw, Chad Warner and Tom Lynch each having decisions to make on their next deals over the coming 18 months."
https://www.zerohanger.com/north-me...following-recent-links-afl-trade-news-151780/

Any other possibilities there?

Zerohanger lists are notoriously inaccurate.

That said theres a few logical players i think we would chase.
Ldu (might want success over $)
Brayshaw (we love high character players)
Bont will never leave the dogs and warner is sydney or WA.
Allen wont leave WA.
That said id try and see if we can push out a fringe mid or two from sydney-offer someone like sheldrick a lot of $ and see if he bites.
Richards is worth chasing particularly if we get bailey smith.
Rowell is the other obvious one but i doubt he leaves his mate anderson.

I wouldnt be surprised if we push for worpel on a reasonable $ as a stop gap between danger guthrie and blitz (who will probably all go next year) and the kids coming through. Im not a fan but i can see it.

Other than that we will need talls unless neale and conway massively come on.
So we will have a big crack at tdk again (even if we dont get him it stretches their cap like we did with curnow and might push someone else out)
Mac andrew is one you would chase hard next year (same with moyle this year) given how good gcs tall stocks are.
Id pay millions for sam darcy but he wont go unless the dogs lowball him.

Ash and callaghan are two others id chase hard (if gws do hang onto both perryman and cumming there might be cap pressure).
We don't get any compo at all for Stengle, because he is a DFA at the end of each contract. Once a player has attained DFA status, he is a DFA for life.

No hes UFA we still get compo. This has been covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with what you were saying generally. But on this point, there's a BIG difference between saying 'quality small forwards are often found with later picks', and saying 'later picks make quality small forwards'. Let's not conflate the two.

The fact that Mannagh was a late pick is clearly not evidence that he will become a quality AFL standard small forward. He may, but he may not. All we know now is that that Stengle is. It would still be a gamble to assume that Mannagh would be able to just fill the hole left behind. But if we could turn the compo pick into Smith, on the whole it's probably a gamble I'm willing to take.
The mannagh point was a separate issue about our list depth.

I agree the two shouldnt get conflated and mannagh is no guarantee.

My point was more that whether its mannagh or somebody else we have much more chance of getting a player with a later pick who will be stengles quality, than replacing hawkins or dangerfield with a late pick and getting equal quality. And the stats do generally back that up.

Therea a reason why clubs offer 1mil per year to elite key forwards and top mids much more readily than they pay 1mil a year for small fwds.

So we will have a big crack at tdk again (even if we dont get him it stretches their cap like we did with curnow and might push someone else out)
Sorry to intrude but I always see this same line rolled out around here and I don't get it?

Look at any recent news media re our list/salary cap and you'll see Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Cripps and Walsh have all publicly stated that they made a pact together to take less $ and try to win a flag as a group. They all reportedly signed for the same salaries as part of that pact and Curnow even said when he re-signed in 2022 that he told his manager at the start of the process that he didnt want to take calls or offers from other clubs because he was sticking around to repay the club after years on the sidelines with injuries.

Plus, it couldn't have stretched our cap too much, we haven't lost a notable name in years now and we were/are reportedly making offers to players like Hayward and Stengle.

Just seems like a completely made up story to me but gets repeated a fair bit on this board.

Sorry to intrude but I always see this same line rolled out around here and I don't get it?

Look at any recent news media re our list/salary cap and you'll see Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Cripps and Walsh have all publicly stated that they made a pact together to take less $ and try to win a flag as a group. They all reportedly signed for the same salaries as part of that pact and Curnow even said when he re-signed in 2022 that he told his manager at the start of the process that he didnt want to take calls or offers from other clubs because he was sticking around to repay the club after years on the sidelines with injuries.

Plus, it couldn't have stretched our cap too much, we haven't lost a notable name in years now and we were/are reportedly making offers to players like Hayward and Stengle.

Just seems like a completely made up story to me but gets repeated a fair bit on this board.
Yeah but contracts that won't be signed cost nothing to write

Martin and few other players have been given long term contracts from memory coupled that with the dodgy payments history of your club that resulted in a stolen flag and it’s not hard to see where the scepticism towards how your club managing the cap and chasing high value players is coming from.

Last edited:
It's happening, it's just how much it's going to cost.

Our Stengle compo and a F3 surely is enough?
Dogs will surely go our first and F2 (if they try to go for 2 Firsts they'll get laughed out of the room)

On the one hand Bailey is OOC which means they don't have a lot of leverage especially when he only wants to go to one place, is coming off an ACL and has had off field issues.
But on the other, at his best he's a gun. He's still young and has huge upside too.

Our Stengle compo and a F3 surely is enough?
Dogs will surely go our first and F2 (if they try to go for 2 Firsts they'll get laughed out of the room)

On the one hand Bailey is OOC which means they don't have a lot of leverage especially when he only wants to go to one place, is coming off an ACL and has had off field issues.
But on the other, at his best he's a gun. He's still young and has huge upside too.
I'm sure we'll start at a single first. Happy to give up our current first and maybe our 2nd thrown in

It is what it is. The ball is in Stengle’s court. There’s a great offer on the table to stay and see out his career here or if $500k or so will make him happier in life that option is there too. It won’t make much difference to the future trajectory of our club.

I will lose zero sleep over this one.

View attachment 2024963

Stengle aside, what course do you predict that trajectory will take CE?

I'm sure we'll start at a single first. Happy to give up our current first and maybe our 2nd thrown in

Who even is our negotiator now that the MackAttack has been promoted to Chief Troll after he swindled the Centrelink Bogans from Alberton?

Wellsy focusing on scouting and the Draft, Big Ballz Mack watching over everything, who is the new guy in that spot?

Who even is our negotiator now that the MackAttack has been promoted to Chief Troll after he swindled the Centrelink Bogans from Alberton?

Wellsy focusing on scouting and the Draft, Big Ballz Mack watching over everything, who is the new guy in that spot?
Alberton is actually a really nice suburb, I think a lot of sub builder contract money has ended up there. No idea who is in charge now

Alberton is actually a really nice suburb, I think a lot of sub builder contract money has ended up there. No idea who is in charge now

Oh really? I always figured it was a riff raff area based on what i heard from mates but never been there myself so going on minimal stuff.
That's a lot of areas in Aus now, lots of gentrification going on and pricing people out of the areas that were originally considered not fantastic.

I know we lost one of our best scouts to Freo, wonder if he was next in line?
Would have to look into who is in those front office positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back