Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're very different from North Melbourne at the end of 2016. They lost key players. They lost:

Harvey, Wells, Dal Santo, Petrie and Firrito. They played 109 out of a possible 115 matches in 2016 and included finishes of 4th (Wells), 5th (Harvey) and 7th (Dal Santo) in the B&F.

So they lost 5 best 22 locks including 3 of the top 10 in the B&F.

Who are we going to lose? Bews hasn't played a game. Parfitt is depth only. Rohan, Stanley and Tuohy are borderline best 22 and being repeatedly managed.

Only Duncan and Hawkins are still clearly best 22 and might leave. Even then Hawkins is definitely not top 10 in the B&F currently and Duncan probably isn't either.

So if we're in a similar ladder position to North we're at least not relying on the guys who will be leaving anywhere near as much as they were.
Like I've been saying, Sydney is the comparison if there is one out there. It's not Norf.

Through '18-20, they lost:

• Kieren Jack (ret)
  • Nick Smith (ret)
  • Heath Grundy (ret)
  • Jarrad McVeigh (ret)
  • Kurt Tippett (ret)
  • Dan Hannebery (trade/cooked)
  • Nic Newman (trade)
  • Gary Rohan (trade)

* You arguably can add Franklin in there too, who was quite literally playing less than 5/10 games a season through this period *

To the untrained eye, it's not pretty reading..and on paper you think how can they recover?

Dig a little deeper though, and you realise that the players listed were all on their last legs, and were struggling to get up for week-to-week games.

The vacuum of experience will always leave a hole...but in terms of what they were actually getting on-field, nothing really changed that much.

As you mention, Norf was different. They lost a contingent of their best players, only worsened by their lack of youth coming through from ignoring the draft.

They're honestly closer to Richmond in terms of how they needed up where they did.

Pretty sure Stengle is a Free Agent so if he leaves, we get nothing for him.
Compensation pick.

If he leaves for band 1 money, we likely end up with something in the pick 14 range with our ladder position come the end of the season.

If he leaves, it's highly, highly likely that it's only because of a large pay-day which doesn't fit our pay structure....so that's how we'd expect it to play out if it happened.

Compensation pick.

If he leaves for band 1 money, we likely end up with something in the pick 14 range with our ladder position come the end of the season.

If he leaves, it's highly, highly likely that it's only because of a large pay-day which doesn't fit our pay structure....so that's how we'd expect it to play out if it happened.

Ah ok, I'm wrong then. Thought he left for free for some reason and we get nothing.

Last edited:
Still feel a lot are discounting the leadership loss to the equation rather than the player’s performances loss such is

True. Which is one reason Duncan will go around again. But we also won't exactly be bereft of experience assuming Danger, Blicavs, Duncan, Guthrie, Stewart and Cameron are all still on our list and 30+.

It'll be 2026 when say the older 3 leave and maybe Guthrie too if he can't get fit that we'll be really young with only Kolo, Atkins and O'Connor as regular players in the 5 years between Cameron and Bowes.

Would people give up Stengle if I meant we only used one first rounders and got both Smith and Oliver?

Don’t shoot me, just coming at it a different angle
Interesting question but No. Stengle is a dead set gun and we need to keep him no matter what.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compensation pick.

We won’t get any compensation because Stengle will still classify as a delisted free agent.

We won’t get any compensation because Stengle will still classify as a delisted free agent.
You still get compensation for DFA. Just usually DFA players leaving don't leave for a great deal of money so it's not common

To clarify further: He's DFA because the Crows delisted him, not us. He's the same as any unrestricted free agent this year in exercising his rights. We are offering him a contract so we'd be compensated the same as any other free agent leaving.

Hard to know. Clearly he is bit of a dick.

I'm sure our senior players would have a big say in this one. They would know what has gone down with him.

They might

But that contract is a huge risk and not one id be taking.

With the jungle drums seemingly beating with Stengle though, maybe the club doesn't agree?

I think with any player, if the reason for their departure is purely financial - and you have the ability to match those $$$ - but choose not to, it means there's something else going on.

Whether it's Oliver, Smith, a player(s) we rate in the draft, or somebody we haven't even considered in here....you don't just let a player like him go when you don't have to.

Just makes me think there's more to the story.
Yeah, true, but our priority needs to be midfielders and midfielders cost the dollars. We'd have to offer as much as we can and if he says no I can't blame him

Let me preface this by saying Stengle is one of my favourite players

But does anyone think his output could diminish once he's on a long term, highly paid deal?
At the moment he's climbing the ranks like a hungry fighter, once he gets his pay day will he be comfortable with his lot..? Wouldn't be the first player to do so..

Let me preface this by saying Stengle is one of my favourite players

But does anyone think his output could diminish once he's on a long term, highly paid deal?
At the moment he's climbing the ranks like a hungry fighter, once he gets his pay day will he be comfortable with his lot..? Wouldn't be the first player to do so..
You can say that about anyone, you can't say the things you can say about Tyson's ability about most other players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back