Review Gather Round 2024 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly...if we had the Bassett era defence out there in the first quarter, that very easily was a what happen.

I thought they stood up when Essendon had a great start. They werent perfect but they did pretty well after getting a little jumped.

This is a completely new defence, the improvement to come is huge.

Lets not forget the early Gresham goals were lachie jones being ******* useless. Not Aliir, BZT (who can add Langford to his back pocket - hes been white hot till tonight), or Esava not doing their jobs.

Langford has burned us a few times, totally anonymous last night. BZT has been an astute piece of recruiting.

And just on Gresham's goals, the first one was because Lachie left him to try and smother Draper's play on the goal when both our defenders in the two-on-two on the boundary line fell over, the second Gresham did give Lachie the slip at a ball up but didn't get goalside and had to take the shot running towards the boundary. 70% of the time, you miss that.

Dixon gets unfairly clobbered here. Yeah he had a bad case of cement hands a few times, but did clunk some huge contested grabs around the ground. And he draws tall defenders like a magnet, giving Georgie and Finny more space to work in (Marshall too but I didn't really notice him much this week).

Could easily have had a couple of goals but looked gassed on both shots because of some hard two way running.
Too true Ford. He went into the D50 a few times and took some important grabs finishing with important outlet kicks.

The Port midfield was absolutely sublime last night, when they play that well we are a chance against any team, and kudos to Soldo for his part in it as well.

I'm still not sold on the tall forwards though, good first game back from the golden greek, and Finny did some good stuff after a very poor start, but Dixon in particular, and Marshall were both fairly ordinary.
With that midfield dominance I suspect any of Eric Freeman, Tim Evans, or Scott Hodges would have scored 6 goals plus each.

Apart from BZT (who is looking like a very good pick up) the other two tall defenders are a bit like the curate's egg atm.

Early days yet but Aliir's ability to take a relieving mark and set up play has fallen away, and Esava usually makes good position, but there were at least a couple of occasions last night when he he got his hands well above the pack, but either allowed the ball to slip through, or mistimed the attempt to spoil.

I'm still not sold on his decision making yet either, the bummers were an absolute shambles after qtr time last night, and he will be under a lot more pressure to get it right when we play against the likes of brisvegas, the blue baggers, or his old mob geebong.

A determined response from the melbourne game which we could have won. Kept the running pressure and shape on, led by our captain.

Powell-Pepper will make a difference to our forward line next week. He can kick goals from force of will. The ball still gets out a bit easily but his physical pressure and reading of the play will shut a few doors.

Powell-Pepper will make a difference to our forward line next week. He can kick goals from force of will. The ball still gets out a bit easily but his physical pressure and reading of the play will shut a few doors.

Who do you think comes out for SPP? I would think Mead seems most likely, but if both Wines and SPP are back next week surely McEntee's time would be up.

Who do you think comes out for SPP? I would think Mead seems most likely, but if both Wines and SPP are back next week surely McEntee's time would be up.

I think Mead will be the unlucky one, but if both come back then McEntee could miss out. Burgoyne after a couple of games as sub will likely go back to sanfl though. Thought he was alright last night too. Looked a bit more confident about his role.

Mead has shown a bit, good in tight and has footy smarts. A few full games as a sanfl mid wouldn't hurt.

Also depends on Boak's injury.

The Port midfield was absolutely sublime last night, when they play that well we are a chance against any team, and kudos to Soldo for his part in it as well.

I'm still not sold on the tall forwards though, good first game back from the golden greek, and Finny did some good stuff after a very poor start, but Dixon in particular, and Marshall were both fairly ordinary.
With that midfield dominance I suspect any of Eric Freeman, Tim Evans, or Scott Hodges would have scored 6 goals plus each.

Apart from BZT (who is looking like a very good pick up) the other two tall defenders are a bit like the curate's egg atm.

Early days yet but Aliir's ability to take a relieving mark and set up play has fallen away, and Esava usually makes good position, but there were at least a couple of occasions last night when he he got his hands well above the pack, but either allowed the ball to slip through, or mistimed the attempt to spoil.

I'm still not sold on his decision making yet either, the bummers were an absolute shambles after qtr time last night, and he will be under a lot more pressure to get it right when we play against the likes of brisvegas, the blue baggers, or his old mob geebong.
And Rex Johns :) sheesh.

Finally just at observation - but at quarter time break it looked to me like all the players were in their groups with the line coaches and Hinkley was wandering around like he was some fan who had won a match day experience.

My bold, so much ^. When are the media going to call out this fraud. Slouched in the dugout no headphones ever ready

to pat an arse but actual hands on coaching... nah not for me. The top dog on the big bucks courtesy of his OBE*

* Other Blokes Efforts

I have to add that some of these Goal Umpires are taking money under false pretenses. Why would you call for a review when the ball misses Marshall's hand by at least half a metre? Review the close ones if you must but that review was bloody ridiculous.
I think within the next 5 years goal umpires will become obsolete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jedalenko had a quiet first quarter and it showed with essendon being able to keep with us.
In the 2nd quarter Jed stepped up his pressure which lifted the whole team and the game changed with his fantastic unheralded efforts.
Jed is obviously our barometer who we need to stay fit if we want to have a real tilt at the pointy end of the season.

I did a far amount of “drop Finlayson” during the week. So I was quietly surprised and have fall on my sword after his game last night.

Still not perfect or back to the 2023 form, but greatly improved from round 1 and looks to be moving a lot better.

Jedalenko had a quiet first quarter and it showed with essendon being able to keep with us.
In the 2nd quarter Jed stepped up his pressure which lifted the whole team and the game changed with his fantastic unheralded efforts.
Jed is obviously our barometer who we need to stay fit if we want to have a real tilt at the pointy end of the season.
He can stay fit playing in the SANFL.

I did a far amount of “drop Finlayson” during the week. So I was quietly surprised and have fall on my sword after his game last night.

Still not perfect or back to the 2023 form, but greatly improved from round 1 and looks to be moving a lot better.
You definitely get an emotional ride watching him play.
There’s not a lot of middle ground with him it’s either very good or very bad.
You play him for the X factor only,
c
Consistency is not an option unfortunately.

Last edited:
On the above, whomever was the essendon player that called touched in that contest needs a week off for cheating.
There should be a delay of game free for nonsense like that.

You definitely get an emotional ride watching him play.
There’s not a lot of middle ground with him it’s either very good or very bad.
You play him for the X factor only,
consistently is not an option unfortunately.
The problem comes against the better teams and on the bigger stages. We need much more reliability from all of our tall forwards in finals and finals-like games, at the very least to play in front of their opponents and convert their set shots,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back