Preview Changes and Preview for Gather Round v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Mitch in for Evans by the looks. Finlayson wont be dropped. JHF probably for Wines. No Sweet thankfully.

Importantly no acceptance that last weekends result was anything other than just some bad conversion. We had 1 in every 5 I50's ending in goals. They had 1 in 3. They nearly scored every second time going in, and we're about once every 3 times. Forget conversion, they are also scoring there far too easily. Lets talk about how easily they transitioned end to end. How about some of the clanger moments from our players and the focus on the basics. He just lives in this week to week mediocrity bubble, lacking any perspective of reality.

Last edited:
didn't we win a flag with 2 rucks I'm pretty confused by the staunch opposition to this, we've been crying out for more big men, we're complimenting the stars with proper KPPs, isn't that what we need, less versatile Hoff/Finlayson types

Do I think Soldo and Sweet is a great combo to play together? No. Do I think rucking Finlayson is horrendous and a kills any momentum we have when he goes in there? Yes.

The fix is to ruck Charlie as the 2nd ruck, however he is so injury prone it isn't a good idea.

So Mitch in for Evans by the looks. Finlayson wont be dropped. JHF probably for Wines. No Sweet thankfully.

Importantly no acceptance that last weekends result was anything other than just some bad conversion. We had 1 in every 5 I50's ending in goals. They had 1 in 3. They nearly scored every second time going in, and we're about once every 3 times. Forget conversion, they are also scoring there far too easily. Lets talk about how easily they transitioned end to end. How about some of the clanger moments from our players and the focus on the basics. He just lives in this week to week mediocrity bubble, lacking any perspective of reality.
If they aren’t going to play Sweet, I can’t see them dropping Finlayson.

They won’t ruck Dixon and there is no SPP or Wines to be a big body in rucks contests like we witnessed last year.

It will probably by Evans and Wines for MG and JHF.

It’s an improvement. I don’t think it is the best team though.

Idk, reckon we should play Soldo and Sweet together, 4 the memes.

didn't we win a flag with 2 rucks I'm pretty confused by the staunch opposition to this, we've been crying out for more big men, we're complimenting the stars with proper KPPs, isn't that what we need, less versatile Hoff/Finlayson types
There's no opposition to it they need to be two good rucks, not a good-ish one and a spud.

Yeah, but Lade was a very good forward in his own right.

Unless one of the two can show some Forward Craft (and to be fair, I think Soldo has shown something up forward) - then we can't play two.

I like it.

Mg is very mobile, I'd like to see him play hff and be the link guy

Sweet couldn't be any worse than Marshall or Finlayson up forward with the added benifit of actually being able to ruck.

Don't like both Evans and McEntee in the same side

lol carn

1. Mitch is very mobile but he’s far more useful close to goal.

His upside is his aerial attack / forward smarts / leading / speed off the mark.

he’s arguably the last player you want the ball in the hands of outside 50. His IQ drops into the negative. Has no vision , and makes dumb mistakes.

His best football for us was playing as a stay at home FF.

2. Sweet isn’t fit to tie Todd’s bootlaces. Hell he’s not fit enough to tie finnys bootlaces as a kf.

He’s a lumbering ruck who’s never done anything as a forward.

That was 20 years ago, the game has changed.

Also, those 2 rucks were more useful around the ground than any ruck we’ve had since, including Ryder.

Do I think Soldo and Sweet is a great combo to play together? No. Do I think rucking Finlayson is horrendous and a kills any momentum we have when he goes in there? Yes.

The fix is to ruck Charlie as the 2nd ruck, however he is so injury prone it isn't a good idea.
Finlayson is fine against most rucks, but gets destroyed against the absolute best (like Gawn)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know they're trying to preserve Dixon and not ruck him, but at 33, for what? So he can kick 19.34 for the season and we crash out in finals?

His most valuable role is as a forward/second ruck. Not only is he our best second ruck option, but it also means we change our forward setup mid-game when he rucks, which probably gives us the best chance to score.

At this point, if we seriously think we're in flag contention this year, play him in that role. If he gets injured, so be it.

Soldo has already shown that he can win a clearance, take a mark & kick a goal, while still providing a contest in the ruck.

Sweet on the other hand wins far more hit outs, but falls short in all the other categories. Hit outs are the most meaningless stats in the game, unless you can convert them into clearances.

Dante is tracking to be better then both.

Yeah, but Lade was a very good forward in his own right.

Unless one of the two can show some Forward Craft (and to be fair, I think Soldo has shown something up forward) - then we can't play two.
Visintini for mine is the one that looks to have the most potential as a forward/ruck.

If it is Soldo and Sweet then Sweet needs to be primarily ruck and Soldo primarily forward but it probably creates the same issues as Grundy rucking with Gawn forward did.

We won them with two good rucks, not Jordon Sweet. And it was 20 years ago.

Set and forget Hinkley..... why can't you spend more time on it, maybe it's mental too, maybe having someone at the club every week throughout the year could be a worthwhile idea?

"We have spent a lot of time on our goalkicking," Hinkley said. "Sometimes, it takes a little while to transfer. There will be games we will kick really well, I am sure. We can't spend any more time on it."

I think everyone’s expectation of a second ruck is a bit unrealistic. Melbourne used Van Rooyen on the weekend ffs.

Finlayson needs to improve as a forward no doubt, but once he reaches his early 2023 levels, what ever he offers as a second ruck is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back