Review Gather Round 2024 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure who Dean Bilton is but he should add Willem Drew into that mid field mix. The improvement by Butters, Rozee , Drew and now Horne- Francis over the past two seasons has been an eye opener.

Last night's performance from Horne-Francis marked his arrival as a force in the AFL. JHF displayed physical strength as well as brilliance. If he can replicate last night's performance JHF will be a super star. With the likes of Powell- Pepper and Wines also on the list we are well served in the midfield.
And you may have missed JHK nearly taking make-of-the-year when he was on fire in the third qtr.

I did a far amount of “drop Finlayson” during the week. So I was quietly surprised and have fall on my sword after his game last night.

Still not perfect or back to the 2023 form, but greatly improved from round 1 and looks to be moving a lot better.
Someone has to be our second ruck where we need to protect Charlie's glass ankles.

Jeremy does not jump at the ruckman and does not win the hit-out but he read the play and becomes an on-baller, often sharking his opponent tap running into the forwrd line.

Kochieh was replying to a direct question; I thought he handles it well (board has not guaranteed a Carr succession plan).
lol the only reason they haven't is because they love the bench bollard too much and don't want to put an end date onto his tenure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The form of Wines has been better than last year but I haven't seen huge impacts with his game so I was very interested to see how our midfield would go without him. Well. we played an average team at best but they looked irresistible for most of the night. When Wines is in there, it just stifles the overall talent of the Big 4.
We also didn't miss Boak.

THE GOOD

Rozee and Horne-Francis were brilliant.
Rioli kicks goals that not many other players can kick.
The game was over by about half time.
The midfield overall
Georgiades looking good and kicking set shots that Finny and Dixon cannot. Also his run and hand balling is very good.
Soldo with his rucking presence.
The tall backs continuing to play well
Finlayson on the ground and cheapies.
Drew keeps on keeping on
Bergman getting better and getting to contests
Byrne-Jones playing really well, creating, kicking well and taking his chances.

THE MEDIOCRE

Finlayson and Dixon for set shots. They are both struggling big time.
The confidence of Jones is not the best and looks like he doesn't want the ball sometimes. He was better later in the game.
Marshall down on form.

THE UGLY

Dixon was well beaten.
McEntee not doing a lot.
A worry was when they played hard and contested, we struggled.

I’ve just seen a video clip highlighting Connor, Zak and JHF but the star of the show was Ivan Soldo. Gee he made them look good!

The form of Wines has been better than last year but I haven't seen huge impacts with his game so I was very interested to see how our midfield would go without him. Well. we played an average team at best but they looked irresistible for most of the night. When Wines is in there, it just stifles the overall talent of the Big 4.
We also didn't miss Boak.

THE GOOD

Rozee and Horne-Francis were brilliant.
Rioli kicks goals that not many other players can kick.
The game was over by about half time.
The midfield overall
Georgiades looking good and kicking set shots that Finny and Dixon cannot. Also his run and hand balling is very good.
Soldo with his rucking presence.
The tall backs continuing to play well
Finlayson on the ground and cheapies.
Drew keeps on keeping on
Bergman getting better and getting to contests
Byrne-Jones playing really well, creating, kicking well and taking his chances.

THE MEDIOCRE

Finlayson and Dixon for set shots. They are both struggling big time.
The confidence of Jones is not the best and looks like he doesn't want the ball sometimes. He was better later in the game.
Marshall down on form.

THE UGLY

Dixon was well beaten.
McEntee not doing a lot.
A worry was when they played hard and contested, we struggled.
Agree with almost all of this. I’m getting frustrated though with Bergman on the wing. Even ignoring his possession counts, which are lowish, I’m not seeing much impact from him so far this year, either as a link man between the arcs, as an extra sweeper getting back into defence, or an offensive weapon. He was so much better last year across HB.

Agree with almost all of this. I’m getting frustrated though with Bergman on the wing. Even ignoring his possession counts, which are lowish, I’m not seeing much impact from him so far this year, either as a link man between the arcs, as an extra sweeper getting back into defence, or an offensive weapon. He was so much better last year across HB.
I wonder what we would have had to pay to convince Amon to stay. Amon on Bergman's wing and Bergman in Jones' defensive spot would be two massive upgrades.

The best thing about our gun midfield trio is they get to train against one another throughout the week. This is a huge advantage compared to other teams.

Imagine putting a guy who has trained exclusively against white belts in a fight against 3 black belts. This advantage will compound with time too as they continue to make each other better.

He is taking his time getting better on the wing.
I don't think the wing is his natural position.
He should play either down back or on the ball.
He has had some impact but more from smaller plays and handpasses than kicking and such.
He is a great intercept mark but that hasn't quite translated into the wing.
I have been noticing that he's been good in and under and around the packs which is unwingmanlike. This is where I've given him extra points so to speak.

I've said it many times that I think Bergman could easily hit the midfield rotation and has similar talent and power of the Big 4.

He's the type of player who will just take a leap one day and it will be obvious to all.

The best thing about our gun midfield trio is they get to train against one another throughout the week. This is a huge advantage compared to other teams.

Imagine putting a guy who has trained exclusively against white belts in a fight against 3 black belts. This advantage will compound with time too as they continue to make each other better.

McEntee and Jones are white belts

If you have to dredge up that sort of humour, I'd hedge my bets on you being a good stand up comedian.

Just make a pledge you'll stop doing it, or it'll drive a wedge through posters on this forum................
Very D&P edge is very droll; to miss quote Yes songs & Close to the Edge;

Down at the end, round by the corner
Close to the edge, just by our river
Port get up, the Bombers get down
Now that it's all over and done,
19 Seasons have passed by
Since the Bombers had any finals high

Against inferior opposition. Let’s wait until we do it against the best boys.
It does not matter who the opposition are, commitment and endeavour are the absolute minimum requirements.

Commitment and endeavour with intelligence, discipline and top ball handling is what is required all the time and if we fall short on the day, then more work needs to be done but the correct attitude must never ever fade.

I still can’t get over JHF getting 31 touches with only 62% game time.
His centre clearance work was insanely good. Lets hope he can show this against the good sides too, as centre clearance was a major issue for us in finals last year. Helps having a ruckman like Soldo, he doesn't have elite traits like a Max Gawn but he has the ability to at least provide a genuine contest, which we didn't have for a lot of last year. Lycett had a strong heart but his body was shot, Soldo seems fresh and moves around the ground well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back